Menu

Resources for High Schoolers Going Straight Into Jobs

Anyone have links, ideas, or resources for planning homeschool high school for students who are not going on to college?

This isn't a choice issue, DD15 literally cannot do college because of numerous special needs. But she's a very capable teen in everyday skills so there's no reason she can't move out, get a job, normal stuff. Currently she's leaning towards culinary arts, baking, or preschool teacher's aide.

But just in general, how does the plan not to go to college affect your transcript and course plans for your teen in homeschool?

For a student not going on to college, I would more closely evaluate how useful an accredited high school diploma might be.  I didn't do that for my college bound sons, because I assumed that the college degree would suffice in the future.  But there are enough stories of students who can't get accepted into cosmetology school or apprenticeships to make me think that the accreditation would be more valuable for them.

I might also be more overt in teaching them how to use tools like Excel, or Word.  A college student may find that they learn these type of applications in the course of taking their classes.  Someone looking for work right out of high school might want to know them right away.

Job shadowing might be helpful, both for narrowing down fields of interest and in building up experience (and references).

• Like 1

Sebastian, yes, I have thought more about an accredited diploma for this particular child (our others will likely do college). They all seem so expensive and rigid though! Like most of the requirements seem to assume the student is getting a college-prep education with Biology, Chemistry, Physics, 4 years of high school math, etc. Are there any with more scaled down requirements?

We're in this boat too & are currently focusing on volunteering. Not necessarily at places she could work eventually, but possibly, but more to see what's out there and what she likes/ dislikes.

She started this year at a very nice assistive living home & hated it, for a variety of reasons.

She is now at the childrens room in our library & loves, loves, loves it!

She also works at her dance studio TAing 2 classes a week & loves that.

(Preschool teachers aide is on her list of possible jobs too)- she may add volunteering at a preschool next year.

I do plan to have her do a half day vo tech program her last year's of high school, ours are open to homeschoolers. She's thinking either cosmetology or childcare in that program, but still has a few years. We'll vist there for open house soon.

I am also considering an accredited diploma if I can find a place to work with that accepts modified & special Ed materials for high school (NARHS or Clonlara).

Curriculum wise, I plan to do some traditional subjects but much more - life skills stuff, child care, health, consumer skills, mental health topics, everyday English, etc. lots of interest based stuff too

• Like 2

I like the idea of doing lots of volunteering as a career/interest exploration. I've been looking into our local technical center's culinary arts classes because our district does allow homeschoolers to take ps classes on a part-time basis. That would be a few years down the road, but still it's an interesting option.

I'm in a state where most homeschoolers use "cover schools" that are state approved but not necessarily seeking to be accredited. Based on laws where we are, I'm not all that worried about the accredited issue even for our non college bound children because the school is a private school. The cover school I  picked still requires the same categories of courses (science, math, etc) and the same number of those courses to graduates.  The part that differs is around titles of courses. So a "life choices" graduate (their term of those not going into college right after high school) can do any science not have to be bio, chem, physics, or can be "light" versions of some of those, or even courses like agri science, earth sciences,  meterology, and more.  Math becomes any four math courses (accounting, business math, consumer math, for examples that aren't always the alg 1, 2 geometry, although one can do those alg 1 and geometry as well) 

You might want to take a look at some of the "field of study" they list with the career clusters. It might give you ideas of sequence of courses for career prep, and a few links to places where some of those kinds of courses can happen

If it would help, here's the link.

http://www.homelifeacademy.com/fields-of-study/

Sebastian, yes, I have thought more about an accredited diploma for this particular child (our others will likely do college). They all seem so expensive and rigid though! Like most of the requirements seem to assume the student is getting a college-prep education with Biology, Chemistry, Physics, 4 years of high school math, etc. Are there any with more scaled down requirements?

Have you looked at the public schools.  Here are California's requirements.  http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/hs/hsgrmin.asp   and free.

Look into what's available through the schools...

My school district hosts high school to career info sessions

http://www.issaquah.wednet.edu/news/media/videos/default-source/district_videos/general/great-careers-conference

If he would have had an IEP in school, he could be eligible for high school transition services at age 18

http://www.bsd405.org/programs/transition/

My community college system hosts programs to guide special needs kids into the workforce such as

https://www.bellevuecollege.edu/autismspectrumnavigators/

That one is specific for autism, but all campuses host disability resource centers to help kids with LDs and other issues finish a career certificate or associates

In Washington our state lets us use special needs services on a part time basis without losing other freedoms of homeschooling, so we could sample bits of things during high school.

Good luck.

And do look at the fields she is interested in from a financial stand point. Culinary arts looks attractive, but other than the boss (who usually has a college degree), or high intensity jobs like bartending or waiting tables, most of those jobs are $10-$12 hour, tops, which in our area is not a living wage.

Hospitals usually have a variety of entry level jobs that at least provide insurance.

• Like 1

And do look at the fields she is interested in from a financial stand point. Culinary arts looks attractive, but other than the boss (who usually has a college degree), or high intensity jobs like bartending or waiting tables, most of those jobs are $10-$12 hour, tops, which in our area is not a living wage.

Hospitals usually have a variety of entry level jobs that at least provide insurance.

The problem I've found, is that even the janitorial & dishwashing staff at our local hospitals & nursing hones do require a high school diploma or equivalent (neither of which my kid can accomplish). Whether or not theyll accept a homeschool one is questionable... In my state homeschool diplomas are not valid.

Some of our kids with disabilities wont ever be able to work in a field that provides a living wage (working daycare does not either, imo, & also want a diploma.) Hopefully, community vocational programs for people with disabilities will be able to help them out.

Edited by Hilltopmom

Our local hospital does accept homeschool diplomas, but in our state, they are valid, private school diplomas. Definitely something to consider. I made my comment because the OP mentioned having her dd be self-sufficient at some point. What that means and how it looks can vary a lot. I just know several folks who have put a lot of energy into Culinary Arts only to be disappointed.

• Like 1

I have looked into Think College, however it seems to be to be a very expensive investment with low returns in terms of income.

The programs I have looked at are upwards of $40K per year, and the young adults are coming out 2-4 years later with low wage part time jobs. Unless a family has cash to burn, how would a student ever pay that back?

Edited by bluebonnetgirl