Menu

(Not so) Humble Brag (weight loss related)

mamaraby

Congratulations.

May I ask, apart from a lot of hard work and dedication, what worked for you?

Small changes that built up over time and that I could sustain basically forever.

I started really small too. First I recorded what I ate. Then I focused on changing calorie density. I didn't add exercise in until a year and a half (end of June 2015). Then I ran a 5k because I found out I really liked running. I followed that by another 5k and three half marathons because I also really like running half marathons. Then I started more seriously considering my training for running and improving time goals. And collecting race medals for all distances. This year I'll knock out the 10k and 20k. Next year I was thinking 15k and maybe (maybe) a marathon. Maybe.

Mostly, it was picking smaller process related goals that I could work towards while chipping away at the bigger goal. Initially I thought clothes shopping would be a big one. Turns out it's not just shopping for plus size clothes that I hated, it's shopping for clothes in general which I ended up doing once a season or so. Bleh. I hate clothes shopping. My inflated mental body image probably contributes to that.

• Like 10

Good for you! I lost 55 lbs last year, and finally went in to buy clothes. I kept trying on sizes, and when I got to a size 12 jeans, I just stopped and bought them despite the fact that they were too big. Because, surely that was small enough! Lol. I totally get the skewed perception of yourself.

• Like 3

That's about the weight loss I had when I finally reached my goal weight and it took me nearly 6 months after that point to stop wearing my very literal big girl panties and buy some that actually fit. I can't believe how much better I feel in underwear that truly fits my body. It's almost life changing or at least mental life changing.

Congratulations to you! It's such hard work and I'm so impressed with your physical fitness part of the regimen. Run, Mamaraby, run!

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: 

• Like 1

Good for you! I lost 55 lbs last year, and finally went in to buy clothes. I kept trying on sizes, and when I got to a size 12 jeans, I just stopped and bought them despite the fact that they were too big. Because, surely that was small enough! Lol. I totally get the skewed perception of yourself.

You totally have to take someone with you. My dh does well in that function, but for some reason when I bring my sister with me, I feel more confident in the size choice. It's almost like I think she'll be more brutally honest. Plus, she's good about not pushing too hard. Last year I didn't think the tankini size she thought fit best was right. I ended up going one size up so I felt more comfortable, but it wasn't also way too big.

That's about the weight loss I had when I finally reached my goal weight and it took me nearly 6 months after that point to stop wearing my very literal big girl panties and buy some that actually fit. I can't believe how much better I feel in underwear that truly fits my body. It's almost life changing or at least mental life changing.

I totally get that! I just bought my second smaller underwear size (because I too delay on that to ridiculous lengths) and it's almost like your pants fit better! Which means now my jeans feel even bigger than they did before. The brain is a funny thing.

I'm no longer obese!

I've been working at this since 2014. Started with a BMI of 43. I currently have a BMI of 29. So, 6 tenths of a pound shy of 90lbs lost and just a smidge over 26lbs to normal weight BMI. I lose somewhere between 20-30lbs a year so this could be my year. Or next year. I've learned to embrace the ups and downs along the way. Slow and steady and all that.

I've been overweight/obese since I was in high school. I weight less now than I did when I got married, than I did when I went to college, than I did for most of high school (although I don't know for sure how far back without checking my medical records). I have tried to lose weight in just about as many ways as you can imagine over the years going way back to high school.

I still see myself as heavier than I am, though, which drives the people who love me batty. I usually have to bring someone else with me when I shop for clothes so I come home with clothes that fit and aren't too big. I have to remind myself that I have in fact made huge progress and thought that maybe saying something would help mark the occassion. I know I've always thought that it would feel different than it does.

That is so impressive! Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

:party: :party: :party:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :hurray:

I am so impressed by your weight loss, but am even more impressed by your slow and steady approach. I think it's the best method to use for long term weight loss, but it's also the most difficult to stick with because it's easy to get discouraged when you don't see big results quickly. I think you're being very sensible. :)

GREAT JOB!!! I am so happy for you!!!

• Like 2

I am so impressed by your weight loss, but am even more impressed by your slow and steady approach. I think it's the best method to use for long term weight loss, but it's also the most difficult to stick with because it's easy to get discouraged when you don't see big results quickly. I think you're being very sensible. :)

tbh, sometimes it really sucks. :p. Like it's great, but it's really easy to lose sight of any progress made because there's no big reveal within a short term memorable sort of time frame. All that to say, I appreciate the kudos because it's been easy to get lost in the process. :D

• Like 2