Menu

Durable small exercise equipment

Amira

I'm looking for some type of small exercise equipment that would give me a moderate cardio workout at home without much thought. I know there are plenty of ways to exercise at home, but I'd really like something where I can read or listen to an audiobook or just think my own thoughts rather than paying attention to a workout or counting reps or whatever. When the weather is nice I do 10k walks every day, but it's too hot for that for the next six months.

I've been looking locally for an elliptical but haven't been able to find one and it would be cost prohibitive to ship one. I can order some type of smaller item though. It needs to not put too much strain on my knees.

Any ideas?

How about a rebounder and a jump rope? Or skip the jump rope and just jump around. ;)

http://www.cardiolatesmiddleeast.com/

The Bellicon is the best rebounder ever!

eta oops. in my haste to rebounder-evangelise I didn't see that you wanted something you could read with. Yeah, that would be a challenge. But for just having fun and daydreaming during a workout it is great.  Also, it is silent so audiobooks would not be a problem.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 3

The only thing I can imagine reading with is an exercise bike.

The older Healthriders sometimes become available on Craigslist, and they provide a decent cardio workout plus you can work on your arms with them.  But you have to hold on, so video or aural entertainment rather than reading a book would be your options.

• Like 1

Amira--I've never used this, but have you seen these? https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-Fitness-Twister-Stepper/dp/B0016BUR7I/ref=sr_1_2?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1492539528&sr=1-2&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A5894970011

I have been working on strengthening myself this year, and the gym has this: https://www.amazon.com/TRX-Training-Suspension-Complete-Workouts/dp/B002YRB35I/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1492539606&sr=1-2&keywords=TRX+straps

There are a number of generics for sale on amazon as well. What I really like about it is that I can modify everything to protect my joints.  I also use it to do supported squats and lunges to build up the muscles and tendons around my joints without straining them. I also do modified pushups.

I don't really have to count reps--I just exercise to muscle fatigue and move on. I find that I can think my own thoughts quite nicely while working out.

• Like 1

The only thing I can imagine reading with is an exercise bike.

The older Healthriders sometimes become available on Craigslist, and they provide a decent cardio workout plus you can work on your arms with them.  But you have to hold on, so video or aural entertainment rather than reading a book would be your options.

You could use a reading rack with machines.  I like the idea of the mini-trampoline.  

An aerobic step would be good - you can use it on your own or follow along with an instructor on DVD or streaming.  There are also slide boards or sliding discs.  

• Like 1