Thai red curry

Chicken Tikka Masala, raita, rice

Vegetable soup

Butternut squash soup

Beef stew

Shepherds Pie

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Today for lunch I made a yummy chicken salad that was the 'sample' at my Trader Joe's this weekend. They took one large can of white chunk chicken, 1/2 jar of their Quinoa Pesto, and just a bit of mayo. Mix. Serve on toasted English muffins.

Our dinner tonight will be BBQ Beef sandwiches and homemade Mac-n-ch.

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 1

Go to the library and pull some cookbooks with great pictures. That always inspires me. Even if I only look at their pictures and them come back to my computer and google an easier version of the recipe.

As has been said, go to the library and get some books or cooking magazines. At our library we can't check out the current issues, but I get back issues compatible with the season. Real Simple has good recipes.

Eating Well is a great magazine and website. But my two favorites are Cooking with the New York Times, and the Splendid Table.

Mix 1 lb lean ground beef, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 cup red wine (burgundy is fine, or cab or merlot, whatever you have open), 1 tablespoon of dried onions.  If it feels super gloppy add some dry bread crumbs.  Shape into 8 very thin burgers.  Top the middle of 4 of them with about 1-2 tablespoons of crumbled blue cheese.  Cover with the other 4 and squish together (not too hard).  Cook like regular hamburgers--but these will be different and better.  Serve on sesame seed buns.

• Like 2

Lightly brown 4 chicken thighs in butter in a heavy pot.  Add two cans of Campbells healthy request cream of chicken soup.  Cover and cook over low heat until done, about 20-30 minutes.  This makes it's own really good gravy which is great on white rice.  Or you can make dumpling and drop them on top--poppy seed or polenta ones are particularly good with this dish.

• Like 3

Bean soup plus salad is a frequent dinner when we're on a tight budget. And also fairly regularly when we're not. Tonight I was trying to use up some of the leftover Easter ham so I made lentil soup. Lentils, ham, carrots, onion, garlic, chicken stock (can use vegetable stock if you prefer), a bit of tomato sauce, and some Italian seasoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you use a bottle teriyaki sauce or something of your own? Do you mind sharing the recipe? Tia!

I make my own with garlic, fresh ginger, soy sauce, water, a little bit of brown sugar and rice wine vinegar. I make it to taste. I tend to go very light on the sugar and heavy on the garlic and ginger.

Grilled salmon, salad, brown rice

Schnitzel, potatoes, cauliflower in sauce Hollandaise

London broil, potatoe wedges, roasted vegetables

Thai red curry

Chicken Tikka Masala, raita, rice

Vegetable soup

Butternut squash soup

Beef stew

Shepherds Pie

We eat almost identically, evidently (although I suspect you put dairy in the tikka masala, and we don't eat a lot of chicken, so it's curried fish with coconut cream).

Seriously, though, that's just about our exact menu rotation.

Chicken Tikka Masala eaters, would you please share your recipe? Please, please? I would be so grateful (and my children will LOVE you!). Thanks in advance.

:)Michele

Here is my family's favorite, from Food & Wine magazine.  It calls for broiling the chicken, but we found grilling it makes it even more wonderful.

Here is a not-as-good, but still good, and easier recipe for the crockpot from the Kitchn. 

pancakes (often pumpkin or banana), fruit, yogurt

angel hair with white clam sauce, salad, maybe bread

veggie frittata

Japanese butter chicken and mushrooms, rice, peas or broccoli

Jamie Oliver's white beans with potatoes and tomatoes, from Jamie's Italy

stuffed tomatoes (and a pepper for dh) - a bit more time-consuming

The cookbook Desperation Dinners has some reasonably quick & healthy options as well.

Chicken masala, pepper steak, chicken teriyaki and brocoli stir fry, blackbean burgers, sweet potatoes, and sauteed kale. When I get bored with dinner I go "back to the 70's" and think of what mom made. Shake n bake chicken, rice a roni, green beans and Jello or pudding for dessert, meatloaf, mashed potatoes (or ranch potatoes), peas and Pillsbury's biscuits, beef stew with dumplings.