Menu

ACT results from April 8th test are starting to be posted

I checked today and my son's ACT scores from the April 8th test have posted. 

He's an average kid and this was his 2nd time taking it. 

Although many will think his score was a dud, we're really proud of what he was able to do.

Overall composite went from an 18 to a 21

English went from a 13 to a 20
Math went from an 18 to a 20
Reading went form a 19 to a 20
and Science went from a 21 to a 24

• Like 18

Dd checked first thing this morning and hers were there, too. The last time she took it cold, in Dec of 2014, so has had a lot more math and a month of Saturday morning prep sessions with me. Her scores were much higher than the last time, so both of us are pleased.

She will be doing PSAT prep on Khan this summer to try to "reach" NMSFQ level. After the PSAT in Nov, she'll switch back to ACT prep for next Spring to try for a large merit scholarship-worthy score since she isn't there yet.

Dd is a sophomore this year.

• Like 3

My 11th ds got the same composite as last time though he did raise English the point he needed to test out of Comp 1 at the college he intends to attend. We are kind of bummed though. For automatic aid at his target school he needed one more point for the next level scholarship. It is a difference of $3500/ yr. Not life changing money but it is a lot for us. Not sure he can raise that point though so I don't know how much I will push. He will go to the college regardless. Just hard to be so close yet so far from a chunk of change.

My 8th grader took it for the first time just for kicks and did pretty well (though luckily not better than his older brother). Funny he hit the same math score as his older brothers topped out at after dual enrollment pre-calc, college algebra, stats in addition to their high school math courses. 8th grade ds has only most of algebra 1 behind him and scored just as well on math. (Thank you WTMA AOPS classes!) Though he also registered the lowest English and reading sub scores I have seen for my kids.

If only we could superscore across siblings we would be golden!!

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 4

Although many will think his score was a dud, we're really proud of what he was able to do.

Those are some nice increases and all sections went up! Seems my kids have never been able to raise all their scores on the same test. They will improve two or three sections but a fourth will drop. Nice work!

• Like 1

Those are some nice increases and all sections went up! Seems my kids have never been able to raise all their scores on the same test. They will improve two or three sections but a fourth will drop. Nice work!

Thanks, he worked really hard on prep this time, but focused mostly on raising the abysmal english score from last time.  

Over all we're happy he reached the score he needed to not have to take non-credit leveling classes at the school of his choice and is eligible for the HOPE scholarship here in TN. 

• Like 8

Thanks, he worked really hard on prep this time, but focused mostly on raising the abysmal english score from last time.  

Over all we're happy he reached the score he needed to not have to take non-credit leveling classes at the school of his choice and is eligible for the HOPE scholarship here in TN.

I am in TN also and hitting that 21 is huge! Good for him (and you) :)

(I don't think your ds score is a dud and I appreciate you posting here.)

• Like 4

I am in TN also and hitting that 21 is huge! Good for him (and you) :)

(I don't think your ds score is a dud and I appreciate you posting here.)

Thanks, Seems that most people I talk to look at me like I'm a total failure if my kid doesn't get high 20s across the board. 

My 11th ds got the same composite as last time though he did raise English the point he needed to test out of Comp 1 at the college he intends to attend. We are kind of bummed though. For automatic aid at his target school he needed one more point for the next level scholarship. It is a difference of $3500/ yr. Not life changing money but it is a lot for us. Not sure he can raise that point though so I don't know how much I will push. He will go to the college regardless. Just hard to be so close yet so far from a chunk of change.

My 8th grader took it for the first time just for kicks and did pretty well (though luckily not better than his older brother). Funny he hit the same math score as his older brothers topped out at after dual enrollment pre-calc, college algebra, stats in addition to their high school math courses. 8th grade ds has only most of algebra 1 behind him and scored just as well on math. (Thank you WTMA AOPS classes!) Though he also registered the lowest English and reading sub scores I have seen for my kids.

If only we could superscore across siblings we would be golden!!

Do they have an SAT score they'll take? Could he try that? You could give him a practice score and see how he does. Some kids do better with the SAT.

• Like 1

Do they have an SAT score they'll take? Could he try that? You could give him a practice score and see how he does. Some kids do better with the SAT.

That is an idea. I am giving him a few days to be annoyed before we decide how to proceed but that is a good thought and I hadn't really considered it.

• Like 1

Wow, great jump in English! 

Thank you for posting that scores were out. dd will probably take it one more time, but she was super happy and relieved to see her score (first time taking it). 

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised. My dc child took the PreACT at school in the fall and we (finally!) got the scores right before the April 8th testing date. They were pretty discouraging, particularly reading, which took a huge dive from last April's score. Given those scores, I did not have a lot of hope for a solid improvement on the this third test taking round. Well, I had a big ol' bite of humble pie yesterday. 

Overall score improved 6 points from last year. Reading was a 33 (!!), which was a significant bump from last year's scores. Every area got the green check and my child scored at least 10 points over the school's average ( :huh:  :closedeyes: , yeah for my kid, what the heck with the school average (which has always been abysmal and one reason I did not want my kid at this school)?!) 

My kid felt really good about this test and thought it was easy. In addition to almost a whole 10th grade year, I think familiarity with the test, as well as how to use the accommodations helped boost the score. While I don't think the math program at our school is particularly solid, we have worked the system to fully benefit my kid and this child's specific academic challenges. The school uses a block schedule, so most kids are taking their year of math in a semester, but having my kid in honors math classes every single day this year certainly impacted the math score. That particular test saw a significant decrease last year from the previous year's scores, but there was an almost 10 point bump in this year's math score!

I am hoping we can keep the upward momentum and that this year's score wasn't a fluke. I know my kid is bright, but the working memory and processing speed issues often impede that intelligence. I really hope having the practice of taking the ACT the last couple year's will translate to another solid score next year, when it counts. 

• Like 4