Menu

DH going through breakdown. Support only, please.

AnonWife

Memory impairment is a symptom of bipolar disorder; I think it is likely that your husband does not in fact remember a lot of what happened during his recent manic phase--it was never encoded into long term memory.

This is so true that I want to re-post it to emphasize it. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Memory impairment is a symptom of bipolar disorder; I think it is likely that your husband does not in fact remember a lot of what happened during his recent manic phase--it was never encoded into long term memory.

Yeah my dh has big memory gaps of events if they are major episodes.  He does remember some of the milder but wants us to ignore it.  THen other times he will apologies and have some recognition of his behavior.    He will also say i'm exaggerating his behavior.    I figure out for us  years ago was to record events for playback.  It was eye opening for him and the therapist .  THe only way I got him therapy was recording on my old "huge VHS" recorder" his behavior /speech.   He refused help.  We had a intervention so to speak.  I dont' know how things are handle now days.  I was dealing with this 25 years ago.  

• Like 3

Yeah my dh has big memory gaps of events if they are major episodes. He does remember some of the milder but wants us to ignore it. THen other times he will apologies and have some recognition of his behavior. He will also say i'm exaggerating his behavior. I figure out for us years ago was to record events for playback. It was eye opening for him and the therapist . THe only way I got him therapy was recording on my old "huge VHS" recorder" his behavior /speech. He refused help. We had a intervention so to speak. I dont' know how things are handle now days. I was dealing with this 25 years ago.

I have recorded stuff as well; haven't had to use it yet but when I'm the only witness to profound irrationality and personality changes I figure it is best to have proof.

• Like 3

So, a peetering out update, for those of you who have reached out, thank you, and those who have been following and supporting, thank you. I have been talking to IRL people but I've found the support here in some ways more helpful. 

Wedding ring reappeared a couple days before Father's Day. 

He has been pretty upbeat about everything, affectionate, nice, etc, for about 95% of the time. But, still hyper-effected by negative anything. We had a brief discussion where he did apologize "for everything" and said he wished he had never done any of it. Seems to have a memory of what happened generally but none of the emotional memories. You know that book you were required to read in high school but kind of rushed and didn't particularly like? That's his level of memory and emotional involvement.

He says he hasn't had any inclination to act out except for after one conversation where I started to describe - very generally, no detail or belaboring - why I wasn't exactly happy with him going to the class where he sees the other person. He was surprised, shocked, "how would that be an issue?" Then kind of got upset and said he didn't want to think about it or talk about it anymore, he didn't want those thoughts entering his brain again. After that he's been a bit more sedate, and I hope it didn't do too much damage to his stability. 

So, I'm not going to push anything and just enjoy this level of recovery/normalcy until he is on medication and more removed from volatility. I don't think his caseworker has returned his calls yet re: psychiatrist, though, and so I have been pushing a bit on this. I also called the caseworker, but idk if he did get back to DH and I just don't know about it.

For myself, my appt for a caseworker is early (edit) July, then they will set me up with a counselor :\ So a while to go still for that. Continuing to see priest and Stephen Minister.

It's been good, though, I have been able to start to rebalance every day life. A lot of stuff has piled up these past few months that I now have to deal with. But one thing at a time, it's actually a relief to have "run of the mill" problems. Who'd've thought I'd be happy to need to deal with mice in the attic, lol. 

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 24

That's a very positive update overall! I'm disappointed in the level of care he is receiving though. Praying about that and your own mental wellbeing too!

Thank you for keeping us in the loop so we can pray for your family :grouphugs:

Thanks for update. I'm glad you are having a near-normal stretch. I will pray you have a real chance to catch your breath. I also hope that you will be able to formulate a plan of action in case there is a next time, so you don't have to endure such a rough experience.

• Like 1