Menu

Science in the middle and high school years

Folks,

What kinds of expectations do you have for your kiddos with an LD as it regards science in the middle and higher grades?  Of course, science depends on a strong math foundation.  When your student has significant math LDs, however, what can be done to support her in science?  

I just am not seeing my 11 yr old as having success in math-heavy sciences such as physics, chemistry, etc.  And there's only so many years you can study biology, lol.  

Thoughts?  

My DS is 2e with 3 SLDs.  I have been told repeatedly that he can do the work with accommodations, and I have taken that advice seriously.  I have no expectations for math as each year we push, I never know what will be the stopping point.  As long as DS grasps the concept, we proceed with caution.

His science sequence was Physical Science, Biology w/lab, Chemistry I w/lab, and Earth Science.  He might take a Bio II next year.  Conceptual chemistry without math is available.  My son took both biology and chem classes, and he got through chem by me working with him.  By far, his most difficult/favorite subject was chem.  That was last year.  By the end of 10th grade, I went to bed for three days.  The Physical Science math was light, and DS got through it with my hand holding as well.  DS finds Earth Science less intense and no math.

Honestly, it is just as important to develop study and graph/chart reading skills.  I cannot stress the study skills aspect enough.  eta: Science classes expose students to new vocab which requires memorization and non-fiction reading skills.  DS used his father's HP calculator from college.  All of his texts were in an audible format.  He actually typed all of his chem math for about 6 weeks, which raised son's attention to detail.    

Math is important in science.  I'm not denying that; however, non-fiction reading and study skills are equally important.  I would say almost more important as reading and study skills affect all subjects.  By 7th grade when DS started homeschooling, we increased hands-on learning, and I deliberately taught him study skills like outlining and mind mapping.  By 9th grade, he started using Quizlet and creates his own study cards.

Ultimately, slow and steady completes the race well.

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 1

What Heather said.

In middle school don't be fretting the math side of science anyway.  Move through the math separately as best your child can.  There are ample middle school level resources out there for science that are not math heavy.  Work on study skills and do interest led science if you and your student are so inclined.  If they like Astronomy, do a study on Astronomy.  Find one with limited or no math component.  This is Middle School, not High School.  Get them exposed to vocabulary/concepts/good scientific thinking/study skills.

When High School comes along, see where they are at in math at that point.  Look for resources that don't require math if they aren't yet ready.  There are several options.

In fact, Open Tent Academy offers a Physics course without a math component for High Schoolers (but an 8th grader could take the class I believe).  If a parent wants the math side of it they can include that.  The teacher provides that component separately for those that want it.

In other words, while your child is in Middle school don't be stressing over the math if you can help it.  Middle School science does not have to involve heavy math.  Scaffold where needed and work on the skills mentioned above.  Take this one step at a time.  Reevaluate when they hit High School.

Best wishes.

And think outside the box for science topics.  This is the perfect time to go wild with science topics.  Pick random interest led funky stuff if your child is interested.  Start watching youtube videos and finding areas of interest.  You don't have to be chained to Biology, Chemistry and Physics.  Come at this sideways right now.  Let this be a time to explore the larger world of science without the math component bogging you down.  Maybe do some short term studies through Outschool...  Lots of short turn around classes in many different subjects.  They start all the time so you could start one next week or over the summer or whatever.

https://outschool.com/listings

Biology has very little math (the only math I can think of is the little bit for genetics, and you can present that conceptually and/or not test on it).  You can also get textbooks for college courses for non-majors that sequester the little math they retain in boxes that can be skipped.  Conceptual Chemistry is one of these, though there are others as well.  Conceptual Physics does have math but it is kept to a minimum (for physics--which has always seemed to me to be a never ending series of word problems).

I think that the most important thing a high school graduate should have as far as science goes is scientific literacy.  You don't need math for that.

Honestly even my honors science classes in public school didn't have much math. I think for a kid with learning disabilities and no interest in science as a career it's not a problem to focus on developing the background knowledge and the skills of reading informational text and interpreting graphs and charts. Those are good skills for life.

We're planning to use Power Basics Earth Science next year, then Biology, then a Chemistry course based on cooking skills, and finish up with a Physical Science course (like very basic physics concepts).

• Like 1

Honestly even my honors science classes in public school didn't have much math. I think for a kid with learning disabilities and no interest in science as a career it's not a problem to focus on developing the background knowledge and the skills of reading informational text and interpreting graphs and charts. Those are good skills for life.

We're planning to use Power Basics Earth Science next year, then Biology, then a Chemistry course based on cooking skills, and finish up with a Physical Science course (like very basic physics concepts).

Yeah, she wants to be a veterinarian, lol.  This child has wanted to be a veterinarian since she was probably 4 or 5 years old.  And her love/interest of animals began practically from the womb.  

Every single milestone she met, she met for our cat.  Rolled over, to see the cat.  Scooted...after the cat.  Sat up, so she could stare at the cat better.  

First word?  Titty tat.  First steps?  Chasing after the cat.  

And that love has not diminished as she's gotten older.  You should hear her out in the chicken coop...every bird has a name and she "talks" to them.  

I do not discourage her desire to be a vet...and in fact, we are fortunate enough to attend church with three veterinarians (small farming community) and two of them are pretty close to our family.  G will likely be doing some kind of "helping" at the horse barn of one of them in the coming years.  

Unfortunately, her common sense, reasoning and poor math skills mean she is highly unlikely to get accepted into vet school.  But, who knows what will happen in the coming years, and that's why I do not discourage her Vet dreams.  

So we'll see!  

Yeah, she wants to be a veterinarian, lol. This child has wanted to be a veterinarian since she was probably 4 or 5 years old. And her love/interest of animals began practically from the womb.

Every single milestone she met, she met for our cat. Rolled over, to see the cat. Scooted...after the cat. Sat up, so she could stare at the cat better.

First word? Titty tat. First steps? Chasing after the cat.

And that love has not diminished as she's gotten older. You should hear her out in the chicken coop...every bird has a name and she "talks" to them.

I do not discourage her desire to be a vet...and in fact, we are fortunate enough to attend church with three veterinarians (small farming community) and two of them are pretty close to our family. G will likely be doing some kind of "helping" at the horse barn of one of them in the coming years.

Unfortunately, her common sense, reasoning and poor math skills mean she is highly unlikely to get accepted into vet school. But, who knows what will happen in the coming years, and that's why I do not discourage her Vet dreams.

So we'll see!

What about working at a zoo as a caretaker? Or doing dog grooming? Or if she's pretty high functioning (I know we have a wide range of special needs here) being a vet tech? That is typically a 2-year degree program, heavy in sciences but not at the level of a full veterinary program. I mean, I have a high IQ and no learning disabilities and I personally ruled out veterinary medicine because it would have required more math than I wanted and eaten up my 20's with grad school. I was happy teaching horseback riding and working at barns all through college.

I think it's a matter of balancing where she is with where she'd like to be. And aim for a science curriculum that stretches her just a bit without overwhelming her.

What about working at a zoo as a caretaker? Or doing dog grooming? Or if she's pretty high functioning (I know we have a wide range of special needs here) being a vet tech? That is typically a 2-year degree program, heavy in sciences but not at the level of a full veterinary program. I mean, I have a high IQ and no learning disabilities and I personally ruled out veterinary medicine because it would have required more math than I wanted and eaten up my 20's with grad school. I was happy teaching horseback riding and working at barns all through college.

I think it's a matter of balancing where she is with where she'd like to be. And aim for a science curriculum that stretches her just a bit without overwhelming her.

I'm thinking a career working with horses or training may be a good option for her, but we'll see.  She does take horseback riding lessons...has taken them for the past four years.  She's only just started to canter and still needs a LOT of work.  Plus, with her reasoning being so poor, I'm not sure working with large animals will be safe but...we'll let it play out.  

Luckily for her, I can entrust her to one of the vets we do know and I know they'll take care of her and make sure she doesn't do something unwise.  Like try to hug a bucking horse...because she totally would.  

• Like 1