Menu

Compression stockings for varicose veins-can anyone offer tips? Just beginning to see veins starting :(

HappyGrace

So I want to get some compression stockings to wear around the house. Has anyone used them to prevent them getting worse? Did it help? Mine (lower leg) are wide and visible under the skin but haven't popped out yet.

Can you recommend good specific brands, hopefully not too expensive!!!

Wrll, they didn't stop mine from progressing, but I also started getting spider veins when I was 15. So my parents handed me great hair, good teeth and craptastic veins. ;)

I have ordered some on-line that were not terribly expensive - oh, actually, those were socks. But socks I have bought and it seems they were around $25. I wear them when my legs hurt from the veins, most often in the summer and when I have been very active.

So I want to get some compression stockings to wear around the house. Has anyone used them to prevent them getting worse? Did it help? Mine (lower leg) are wide and visible under the skin but haven't popped out yet.

Can you recommend good specific brands, hopefully not too expensive!!!

Hi Happy,

Compression hose can definitely help with progression (but of course everyone's experience is different). In my case, I started getting vein problems around 12 weeks pregnant with my third child but didn't get the hose for a few months (!!!) because my insurance was covering them and the lady who was supposed to measure me kept flaking out. The veins were very painful all throughout pregnancy and I had to wear hose for the next three years or so (when I got pregnant again). That next pregnancy I wore the hose religiously and then found that my veins basically were pain-free as soon as I gave birth. I do credit that with my careful use of hose.

As much as varicose veins are a cosmetic problem, they also are due to (and cause) circulation problems. So preventing progression is a very good long term health step to take.

I order hose from DiscountSurgical and I personally buy open-toed thigh high hose in the 30-40 mmHg range. I also buy body glue which I use to keep them up. My main vein problems are over my knee so socks or knee highs don't do anything for me. I used to wear waist high, but once I learned about body glue I found thigh high to be much more comfortable. 

My friend owns every color, and since she wears skirts a lot, it just looks like she enjoys wearing tights. She actually had surgery done but was told that her problem is circulation and that she needs to wear the stockings for the rest of her life. As much as I get frustrated with the frumpiness of the stockings, I am thankful they exist! Before I wore the stockings, I literally couldn't walk a quarter mile without pins and needles and I would spend all afternoon lying down on the couch due to pain. Now I am pain free, but I still have protruding veins. But all women related to me on both sides do, too.

Final word: my aunt has been the one to stress to me most strongly the importance of compression hose because she had a wound on her ankle that wouldn't heal due to the bad circulation. She had to do long treatment at a wound center. So get hose and wear them, especially if you'll be standing a lot!

Emily

Hi Happy,

Compression hose can definitely help with progression (but of course everyone's experience is different). In my case, I started getting vein problems around 12 weeks pregnant with my third child but didn't get the hose for a few months (!!!) because my insurance was covering them and the lady who was supposed to measure me kept flaking out. The veins were very painful all throughout pregnancy and I had to wear hose for the next three years or so (when I got pregnant again). That next pregnancy I wore the hose religiously and then found that my veins basically were pain-free as soon as I gave birth. I do credit that with my careful use of hose.

As much as varicose veins are a cosmetic problem, they also are due to (and cause) circulation problems. So preventing progression is a very good long term health step to take.

I order hose from DiscountSurgical and I personally buy open-toed thigh high hose in the 30-40 mmHg range. I also buy body glue which I use to keep them up. My main vein problems are over my knee so socks or knee highs don't do anything for me. I used to wear waist high, but once I learned about body glue I found thigh high to be much more comfortable.

My friend owns every color, and since she wears skirts a lot, it just looks like she enjoys wearing tights. She actually had surgery done but was told that her problem is circulation and that she needs to wear the stockings for the rest of her life. As much as I get frustrated with the frumpiness of the stockings, I am thankful they exist! Before I wore the stockings, I literally couldn't walk a quarter mile without pins and needles and I would spend all afternoon lying down on the couch due to pain. Now I am pain free, but I still have protruding veins. But all women related to me on both sides do, too.

Final word: my aunt has been the one to stress to me most strongly the importance of compression hose because she had a wound on her ankle that wouldn't heal due to the bad circulation. She had to do long treatment at a wound center. So get hose and wear them, especially if you'll be standing a lot!

Emily

Thanks for the link and the info on the colored compression tights. I haven't seen those and they look terrific. I have just had the "nude" color, so not flattering! I end up wearing them under tights.