Menu

Pre-Calc/ SAT prep/ Mr. D Math

I searched for Mr. D but could find nothing- 

has anyone taken their Pre-Calc bootcamp in the summer?
How about the SAT/ACT prep? 

or the year-long pre-calc course with on-line? 

Ds has been doing MUS and loved it but Math is not his strong suit. Trying to decide if we should do bootcamps this summer or on-line next school year BUT also trying to fit in DE courses

He could fit in a few this summer- or trade out math next year for DE College Alg (he has through Alg II). 

I've seen some demos of Mr. D for work and been really impressed- I think a LIVE teacher/ with immediate feed-back would be super helpful, but we could also just stick with MUS. 

Any thoughts? feedback? 

No experience as high as pre-calc, yet, but we have used Mr. D. for two years now.   DS is currently taking Geometry and took Algebra I last year.   DD is currently taking pre-Algebra.   Both of them have done one of the 6-week summer "prep" courses.   The year-long classes have all been at a local (Tampa) co-op with a certified teacher, while the prep courses were live online, taught by Mr. D. himself.    We have never done the "full course over the summer" classes.

Our experience has been excellent.   Both of my kids are good students, but DS is much more of a math-intuitive kid than DD.   Having the live teacher for class once a week has been very helpful, especially for DD.   They typically cover 3 sections between classes, with an online quiz for each section, and a spiral review after every 3 sections.   I would characterize his curriculum as a mastery approach with spiral review intentionally built in (similar concept to MUS, but with a more traditional scope and sequence).   In addition to the live class sessions, each section contains a recorded lesson online, and there are 3 live help sessions online at scheduled times (at least one is mid-afternoon and one is in the evening).   The live help sessions are available for any student, regardless of whether they are a co-op student, live online student, or are just using the asynchronous recorded lessons.   There are chapter tests after each chapter (usually 8 sections per chapter) and two semester exams.

We haven't done the SAT/ACT boot camp yet, but I plan to have my DS take it within the next year, either before he takes the SAT or ACT for the first time, or possibly after taking them once to see an improvement in his scores.    Mr. D. also has a Life Skills for Teens 6-week online class that we have wanted to take for several go-arounds, but have had schedule conflicts, so as soon as he offers it at a time that fits in our schedule, DS will take it.   

Feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions.

• Like 3

Thanks, Sebastian! Our summer is already filling up fast- My ds is a rising Senior- he'll be taking either college Math DE or pre-calc his Senior year-  

if it was your kids would you do the prep test or pre-calc bootcamp this summer- do you think the bootcamp will be redudant if he takes the online class next year? 

Thanks, Sebastian! Our summer is already filling up fast- My ds is a rising Senior- he'll be taking either college Math DE or pre-calc his Senior year-  

if it was your kids would you do the prep test or pre-calc bootcamp this summer- do you think the bootcamp will be redudant if he takes the online class next year? 

The 6-week prep class over the summer (I just looked it up - Mr. D. calls them "math readiness" classes) was mostly review of the prior year's concepts and an introduction to the coming year.   So the "pre-calc math readiness" class would be a review of algebra II and geometry concepts, plus a little bit of pre-calc.    If I remember correctly, there was some redundancy in the first week or two of class, but not a huge amount.

Mr. D. also offers "full year summer classes" which would cover the entire full-year course in 11 weeks over the summer.   We haven't done any of those courses.

• Like 1