Menu

Favorite ocean/beach picture books or short chapter books?

Miss Rumphius is set by the sea, not necessarily beach/ocean/vacation themed, though.

Berenstain Bears Go On Vacation is loved by all members under 4 feet in this house.  *sigh*

One Small Square Seashore

Pagoo. ????  (We didn't make it through this book, but I had littles when we went to the beach.  I thought it was the classic. recommended book to prep for a beach trip.)

Nim's Island

I'd probably also just strew a couple of Field Guides around the house too.

• Like 1

Seconding Nim's Island and Lighthouse Family.

I really like Wave by Suzy Lee - it's a wordless picture book.

Flotsam by David Weisner is great.

The Seashore Book by Charlotte Zolotow is cute.

If you can extend it to fish and ocean animals, you could do things like Swimmy and A House for Hermit Crab and I think Eric Carle has a couple of others.

There are some Magic Schoolbus ocean themed books. And at least one Let's Read and Find Out Science book about shells.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions! 

I got a huge stack from the library today, including most of the books mentioned above. I found a blog post somewhere with a great list, but my usually very good library didn't have most of them, so I added those titles to the "please buy these" list. 

(Oh, how I love being able to reserve online and just walk in and check out my stack. Quick and easy.)

My kids are excellent readers, but we all still enjoy picture books on the sofa. Ds still like picture books at bedtime too.  :)

• Like 1