Menu

Looking for Online Classes That Aren't Too Rigorous

Valley Girl

Yes, I'm embarrassed to say on a WTM board, that I can't push rigor for this particular child. (Gotta teach the child you have.) DS14 will be a sophomore next year, and--in my never-ending quest to find classes that will interest and motivate him--I'm looking at trying online classes for a couple of subjects next year, probably math and science. Background: DS has ADHD/ASD and hates school. So getting him through high school is looking more and more like an exercise in checking boxes.

I'm going over the wonderful online class list on the general ed board now. But I was wondering if any SN parents have come across or used online classes that do a good job of covering material yet aren't overly demanding. DS is smart, but just not motivated where school is concerned. (I suspect he will find his motivation a little later in life as others in the wider family have done. I'm trying to pinpoint classes that will give him the maximum amount of education/foundation for that later date without making every class, every day an ongoing struggle.)

Anyone have experience with such classes to help me narrow my search? Thanks for reading.

• Like 2

I posted on your other thread, but if your DS is OK with being with younger kids, I'd seriously look at the gifted providers, like Athena's, G3, and maybe GHF (Gifted Homeschoolers Forum). Those programs tend to cater to younger kids who are ready for higher level content, but still have the stamina, attention span, and writing level more typical of their age. It won't work, though, if he will be annoyed by a bright 8 yr old in a high school lit or history class. Both Kirsten (Athena's) and Jaime (OnlineG3) are also really willing to talk to you and make suggestions. G3 traditionally was more Middle and high school and AAA more elementary/middle, but that is changing because there is a group of older kids who have grown up at Athena's and who don't want to leave-and as a result, classes are being created for them.

• Like 2

I posted on your other thread, but if your DS is OK with being with younger kids, I'd seriously look at the gifted providers, like Athena's, G3, and maybe GHF (Gifted Homeschoolers Forum). Those programs tend to cater to younger kids who are ready for higher level content, but still have the stamina, attention span, and writing level more typical of their age. It won't work, though, if he will be annoyed by a bright 8 yr old in a high school lit or history class. Both Kirsten (Athena's) and Jaime (OnlineG3) are also really willing to talk to you and make suggestions. G3 traditionally was more Middle and high school and AAA more elementary/middle, but that is changing because there is a group of older kids who have grown up at Athena's and who don't want to leave-and as a result, classes are being created for them.

You guys are lifesavers. I really appreciate the suggestions. Thank you, too, for not coming down on me for looking for something easier. I feel as though I should be doing so much more with him. I want to do it, but he can only handle and is only willing to handle so much as this point. Anyway, many, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

You guys are lifesavers. I really appreciate the suggestions. Thank you, too, for not coming down on me for looking for something easier. I feel as though I should be doing so much more with him. I want to do it, but he can only handle and is only willing to handle so much as this point. Anyway, many, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Never feel badly about doing what your student needs. There are plenty of us out here who have similar children, though it can seem at times that everyone in WTM-land must be advanced! Definitely not the case.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I understand. My son is very smart, but due to depression and migraines, I have to be reasonable.

I'm accountable to G-d and the state ( in that order) in choosing what is the best route for him.

Just shows that there's adult peer pressure, too.