Menu

How do you treat fevers in your family?

Minerva

I have one child who has always gotten really high fevers. She doesn't have fibril seizures, but she hallucinates and acts really weird. I always giver her Ibuprofen when she has a fever and keep her medicated until it is is gone. Acetaminophen does nothing for her. 

I have another child who gets low grade fevers and I give him Ibuprofen if he gets uncomfortable. 

Yesterday, while looking at dosages for both of my kids online, I noticed a lot more sites saying fevers are your body's natural way of fighting infection and only to medicate if you have to. I am not someone who uses medication frequently, and do understand that medications can be hard on the body in other ways, but I just can't imagine letting my kids feel like doo doo, especially the one who gets the scary fevers. We are going on day two of high, scary fever and I just started wondering how other people treat fevers, if other people treat fevers, and if this trend towards letting your kids suffer through fevers is based on good science? 

• Like 1

My son had full blown influenza b a couple weeks ago and is just now really back to his old self.  He had temps up to 104.  I can't imagine doing nothing, he was so miserable.  What we did though was full dose ibuprofen in the morning and at night.  So just twice a day.  That kept him comfortable enough without stacking medications. 

• Like 1

Depends upon how high the fever is - high, you get ibuprofen, low - you aren't feeling too bad, you get sympathy and cool drinks, low and you are feeling yucky, I'll try to encourage you to wait a bit and push the cool drinks, but if you want meds, I'll give them to you. Because then you will probably sleep and sleep helps you heal as well. 

• Like 8

My twins are almost 12. One twin hardly ever asks for meds so, when he does, I know it is really bad.  The other twin hates to take meds (he worries about reactions, etc), but is the one that tends to get the higher fevers.  He has had the 104 temps before.  If the fever is really high, I will rotate Tylenol and ibuprofen and push the fluids.  If it is low grade, they normally don't want to take anything. 

• Like 2

I generally do not give tylenol or ibuprofen for fever alone.  I have one kid who has a pattern of spiking scary high fevers; I have one who spikes only for serious infections, and the others generally have "normal" fevers when ill.

I will give medication for general discomfort if it is severe enough. Otherwise, I ask the kid to wait 6 hours. Generally the fever *does* kill off whatever virus was passing through.  

My children have very rarely needed medication.  (I, however, am not so blessed. Usually I get wicked secondary infections.)

• Like 2

No meds unless they can't rest. The kids and I always run very high fevers. A "very high" fever for DH is 101 and that's low to me.

If they were acting weird like in the OP (not just sick) I would give motrin, too.

My son had full blown influenza b a couple weeks ago and is just now really back to his old self.  He had temps up to 104.  I can't imagine doing nothing, he was so miserable.  What we did though was full dose ibuprofen in the morning and at night.  So just twice a day.  That kept him comfortable enough without stacking medications. 

:grouphug: That must have been so scary.

My dd always gets fevers in the 104 and even 105 range. She just doesn't seem to be susceptible to seizures. When I give her the Ibuprofen, it will bring her fever down to 103. I don't think she has ever had a fever that was low grade.

I always end up giving her fever meds about every five to six hours because the fever starts heading into the 104 range again and she hears things and says weird stuff. I guess I worry that I am over medicating her, but I cannot imagine what else to do. 

It depends. Generally speaking I don't like to lower the fever for the reasons stated. However, I recently had the flu and the body aches were just so bad that I had to take ibuprofen. It just depends on the level of discomfort. I won't make anyone suffer if their other symptoms would be alleviated by a pain reliever/fever reducer, but it's not very often that I have to give one.

• Like 2

I only treat fevers if they are really uncomfortable, generally at night to help them sleep if they are having difficulty. I try to use it as minimally as i can and comfort in other ways but if that doesn't work then I do give meds here and there. i have 1 kid that tends towards higher temps, the rest seem to stay fairly low, lucky for us. Unfortunately, she spiked a high temp at my Mom's house once, she was freaking out and called me to take her to the ER, just based on temp. I took her home and watched her, she recovered fairly quickly without incidence and without anymore medication.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

I only treat fevers if they are really uncomfortable, generally at night to help them sleep if they are having difficulty. I try to use it as minimally as i can and comfort in other ways but if that doesn't work then I do give meds here and there.

This is pretty much what we do - tylenol/advil if needed at night, or if anyone is really hurting with the aches and pains or sore throat or something. At least for DS and I - DH tends to take advil at the first sign of a fever.

• Like 1

I will treat a fever in the high range. My kids have had fevers in the 100-101 range and didn't display big signs of discomfort, so I let their bodies fight it off without meds. If you're trying to get a 104-105 fever down, consistent and accurate dosing is how to achieve that. I know you said Tylenol does nothing, but I've found alternating Tylenol and Advil to be very effective for high fevers, if dosed correctly. You give a normal dose of Advil, 4 hours later a normal dose of Tylenol, 4 hours later Advil, and so on. I've found it's just not effective if I give one dose and get the fever down a bit, then wait 5 or 6 hours for another dose. By then, the fever is already back up.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Just a Mom who's been treating fevers for a decade or so. ;)

I hope your sick child feels MUCH better soon.

• Like 2

I will treat a fever in the high range. My kids have had fevers in the 100-101 range and didn't display big signs of discomfort, so I let their bodies fight it off without meds. If you're trying to get a 104-105 fever down, consistent and accurate dosing is how to achieve that. I know you said Tylenol does nothing, but I've found alternating Tylenol and Advil to be very effective for high fevers, if dosed correctly. You give a normal dose of Advil, 4 hours later a normal dose of Tylenol, 4 hours later Advil, and so on. I've found it's just not effective if I give one dose and get the fever down a bit, then wait 5 or 6 hours for another dose. By then, the fever is already back up.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Just a Mom who's been treating fevers for a decade or so. ;)

I hope your sick child feels MUCH better soon.

Thank you!

I have tried this method in the past, but the Tylenol just doesn't work for dd, so I end up giving her the Tylenol, and then feeling like I have to wait several hours while she becomes increasingly delirious,  to give her the Ibuprofen again. 

Thank you!

I have tried this method in the past, but the Tylenol just doesn't work for dd, so I end up giving her the Tylenol, and then feeling like I have to wait several hours while she becomes increasingly delirious, to give her the Ibuprofen again.

Yes, I can see how that would be frustrating. :/ If you try the method and it's not working, you can always give Advil 6 hours after the last time you dosed Advil (without regards to the Tylenol dose). That's my understanding anyway.

ETA: Also, I had a wonderful ped one time who told me that the dosage on the back is only a guideline and that it's really better to do exact dosing using mg/per pound. It's almost always more than the general recommended dose on the bottle. You can dose very accurately this way by using liquid meds.

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 2

With my kids, I tend to not even realize they *have* a fever unless or until they are also acting obviously miserable feeling, so by that point, I medicate. 

One of mine jumps straight to the 102+ range when he gets a fever, so we especially like to keep his from going too high. Otherwise, with the other boys, we medicate based on what else is going on, how miserable they are, do they need to sleep, etc. 

At the tail end of a virus when the fever isn't going above 100-ish, then I let it go; at some point you have to stop so you can determine if they're staying fever free or not. Also, even during the illness, I don't automatically give the meds right on time, I wait for the fever to come back (although when they had the flu, it was breaking through at temps of 101+ 2 hrs before time for the next dose, so then we were alternating rather than let it keep climbing). 

• Like 2

My rule of thumb is to treat with a fever reducer when it gets over 102, or if requested. 

We all got the flu about 3 weeks ago. Dc had a fever that was in the 101-102 range mostly, but it would sometimes jump to 103-104. I generally skipped the fever reducing medications, pushing fluids, rest, frequent inhaler use (they have asthma), serving lots of Italian ice cups, and hanging out in the shower/tub. When the temperature popped up, dc usually ended up collapsed on the bed, and sometimes shivering. For me, that calls for a dose of something.

• Like 1

Low grade fevers I don't treat, except at night if it will help them sleep. I figure sleep is important for them to get well. The problem with treating low grade fevers is that then they feel better and want to run and play, and then they aren't exactly resting and letting their bodies heal.

My youngest seems to be prone to high scary fevers so I will medicate him as a precaution.

• Like 1

We treat if they are uncomfortable. Rarely it's for a fever alone (I did medicate fevers with my DC who had a very terrifying febrile seizure at 2 until he was closer to 10 at the advice of the ped). Usually it's the headache or body aches or whatever that goes along with it. 

• Like 3

yes, fevers are the body's way of killing germs.

I also have some who'd run high fevers, and some who don't.  I don't. when I was hospitalized with pneumonia - my temp was 100.9.  (which delayed the er figuring out what was wrong with me.  my temp simply wasn't very high.)  and why I knew I was really sick when I had a (second) kidney infection and my temp was 102.5.  I don't run fevers.

high fever child had a febrile seizure, and hallucinations when she was little. (temp of 104 and climbing)  she outgrew that.  I would give her meds to bring it down - as there is such a thing as too high.  I also stripped her down  to panties with no covers.  she was too miserable to do anything but lay in bed.

sponging off with body temperature water to reduce fevers as the evaporation takes heat with it.

anyone else - I make them comfortable - usually body aches, but let the fever runs its course.   meds are for when other comfort measures don't work.  I get too nervous with the permanent damage regular use some analgesics can do to the body. (and . . . bringing down temps only prolongs things.)

I get chills - since getting down comforters, just tossing an extra layer of down (with a wool blanket on top if needed) was enough to warm me up, and break the fever faster within a few hours at most.  then I'd be peeling off all the layers.

• Like 1

I understand why some people don't treat fevers, but I do treat them. For low grade - it's really only as needed for comfort, mostly for other symptoms - I don't feel the need to just treat a low grade fever if someone is otherwise fine.

But high fevers are another animal here. DS had meningitis over the summer. There was a fiasco re: getting him diagnosed and we were sent home with crazy scary instructions at one point. By an urgent care, grrrrrr. Only slightly tongue in cheek: I may have some kind of PTSD after the last experience. Horrible. We could have lost him.

Anyway, after the initial bout, he had 6 weeks of intermittent very high fevers. Turned out he also had babesiosis, a cousin of malaria. So - high, high fevers. Hallucinating, burning fevers. Up to 105.

They had us alternating Tylenol and Motrin, too, but I believe it was every two hours. So Tylenol, then two hours later Motrin, two hours later Tylenol. You might call a local pharmacist or the pediatrician for instructions on alternating, if it's needed.

I hope your kiddo feels better very soon.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

I also treat for comfort.  I am conservative with meds, but think it's fine to take something if someone is truly uncomfortable and I also think taking meds can be beneficial if it helps someone sleep, hydrate, and eat because they may recover quicker that way.

• Like 2

I will treat at 102 if they are uncomfortable, no matter what if they are over 103.  DS used to go over 104 pretty fast/often when he was little.  All 3  had febrile seizes.  They tend to run in my family.

• Like 2

I understand why some people don't treat fevers, but I do treat them. For low grade - it's really only as needed for comfort, mostly for other symptoms - I don't feel the need to just treat a low grade fever if someone is otherwise fine.

But high fevers are another animal here. DS had meningitis over the summer. There was a fiasco re: getting him diagnosed and we were sent home with crazy scary instructions at one point. By an urgent care, grrrrrr. Only slightly tongue in cheek: I may have some kind of PTSD after the last experience. Horrible. We could have lost him.

Anyway, after the initial bout, he had 6 weeks of intermittent very high fevers. Turned out he also had babesiosis, a cousin of malaria. So - high, high fevers. Hallucinating, burning fevers. Up to 105.

They had us alternating Tylenol and Motrin, too, but I believe it was every two hours. So Tylenol, then two hours later Motrin, two hours later Tylenol. You might call a local pharmacist or the pediatrician for instructions on alternating, if it's needed.

I hope your kiddo feels better very soon.

:grouphug:

Reading your post makes me wonder if my dd has malaria or another mosquito related illness that is triggered when she is sick. I am seeing from most of these responses that the extremely high fever my dd experiences is not the norm. We live in a country where mosquito born illnesses are not uncommon, and I know that some of them can flare up when the immune system is down. Maybe I am just being alarmist, but when she gets the common cold I feel like her body's response is just so extreme.Both my husband and I have had dengue (before the kids were born), so I probably should have her checked for Malaria or related illnesses. 

• Like 1

I rarely treat fevers, but my kids don't often spike very high.

If they're very uncomfortable, I'll give them meds to treat the discomfort and they just so happen to also reduce fevers.  Otherwise, I want their bodies to do their natural jobs.

With the special circumstances you describe, I'd ask for my pediatrician's recommendation.

• Like 1

I had 2 kids who had febrile seizures so we would medicate them for any fever until they were over 6. Seizures are scary so I don't feel bad for having medicated them. Now they are medicated if they request it or at bedtime. I've had fevers spike to 105-106 at night. My kids have my fever family history.

Kelly

• Like 1

I don't medicate FOR the fever until it's over 103, but I do medicate if they're feeling miserable regardless of temp.

My oldest doesn't get a fever unless she is really very sick, so she is typically medicated by about 101 because by the time her temp goes up, she's already moaning and feeling horrible. If she gets to 103, she needs a doctor. She's only hit that high twice: once she ended up in the hospital for 3 days and the other the ER for several hours and steroids for a week after. She just doesn't spike until it's serious.

My younger gets low grade fevers periodically and can play right through them, I don't medicate for that. I keep an eye on the temp when it gets around 102. Usually 103ish and her acting like she needs something comes about the same time. 

I think I'm more like my oldest. I don't get fevers very often and if I do, I probably already feel bad enough to take something. 

• Like 1

I do nothing for low grade fevers.  I keep an eye on them.  Over 103 I'll medicate.  Thankfully my children are rarely sick and when they do have a fever they just want to sleep.  I'll let sleep and their immune system do the work.  If an illness interferes with sleep then I will use medication, but it's rare.  Even for DH and myself.  Now for my niece and uncle who both have severe medical issues, medication is essential as a fever, even a low-grade fever, can be dangerous.

• Like 1

Reading your post makes me wonder if my dd has malaria or another mosquito related illness that is triggered when she is sick. I am seeing from most of these responses that the extremely high fever my dd experiences is not the norm. We live in a country where mosquito born illnesses are not uncommon, and I know that some of them can flare up when the immune system is down. Maybe I am just being alarmist, but when she gets the common cold I feel like her body's response is just so extreme.Both my husband and I have had dengue (before the kids were born), so I probably should have her checked for Malaria or related illnesses.

Oh, goodness, I would be concerned about that, too. I just posted recently about this, in another thread, but for many years, I had a simmering undiagnosed chronic infection(s). When I'd take a hit twith the immune system things would flare up in a big way and it would be hard to recover the same way everyone else did. But my immune system would eventually get it under control again, and it would remit. One of my simmering infections was actually babesios, like my son had. When it would flare, I'd have the high fevers, too. Horrible. There are 13+ strains of it, but tests for only 2. I had both. DS had one (babesia microti), likely transmitted by a tick. But if you are in a malaria endemic area, I'd want to look into that first. It can act very similarly.

• Like 1

I'm sorry she is feeling poorly. :(

Is it cycling? That is definitely a sign of malaria - waking up soaked in sweat at night but feeling relatively okay during the day. Not fun, but a fairly quick fix, as you undoubtedly know, and I'd rather have malaria again than dengue any day!

• Like 1

Both my kids tend to get high fevers when they are sick. If it is under 102, I let it go. If it is over, I try to time their last dose for the day around 8pm. That way, their fever can break while they are sleeping and they don't tend to feel it.

We are just getting over the flu here. Dd(4) was running a high fever but I could only convince her to take anything one time. She tends to puke Tylenol/Advil right back up so it is rather pointless. She slept quite a bit but I pushed Gatorade and popsicles when she was awake to keep her hydrated.