Menu

California Charter Schools and A-G requirements

It's not true at all anymore in fact- it's no longer a "contract" or even priority enrollment it's just early decision- I spoke with two UCs who confirmed that the "guaranteed transfer" is not guaranteed at all and is merely an early decision.

Both UCs I called explained the CC apps are looked at with the pile of early decision and then many are turned down. If you want to go to a UC you have to get very high grades and also show some other good work,internships or volunteering in your field

Were those 2 of the 6? That link is for 2017 admission, so you're saying that what is on the UC website is wrong?

From the website :

" participating in TAG, you will receive early review of your academic records, early admission notification and specific guidance about major preparation and general education coursework."

It's not a guarantee you'll get in. It's a guarantee they'll look at your transcript early. That's it !

Wow. I had no idea. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/homeschool/

That says that homeschool students need to have a-g courses AND an official transcript and diploma issued by a public school district, or else the student should hope for admission through examination.

Anyone know what examination? Are they referring to SAT subject tests and AP tests completed any time throughout high school, or some other university specific general examination taken during the application process?

From the website :

" participating in TAG, you will receive early review of your academic records, early admission notification and specific guidance about major preparation and general education coursework."

It's not a guarantee you'll get in. It's a guarantee they'll look at your transcript early. That's it !

No, six campuses are TAG, transfer guarantee if you meet specific requirements.

"Six University of California (UC) campuses offer guaranteed admission to students from all California community colleges (CCC). Interested students must meet campus-specific requirements to qualify for a UC TAG. By participating in a TAG program, students can ensure their admission to a specific UC campus, some of which offer an early review of a students’ academic record, early admission notification (no later than November 15, 2016 for a fall 2017 TAG applications), and specific guidance on major preparation and general education coursework."

No, six campuses are TAG, transfer guarantee if you meet specific requirements.

"Six University of California (UC) campuses offer guaranteed admission to students from all California community colleges (CCC). Interested students must meet campus-specific requirements to qualify for a UC TAG. By participating in a TAG program, students can ensure their admission to a specific UC campus, some of which offer an early review of a students’ academic record, early admission notification (no later than November 15, 2016 for a fall 2017 TAG applications), and specific guidance on major preparation and general education coursework."

Ugh it's so frustrating!!!

I'm so confused because I called UC Davis and she said unequivocally it is NOT a guarantee but only early admission! But this was for computer science so maybe that's the reason,

Selective majors don't count ...

Edited by Calming Tea

Both UCs I called explained the CC apps are looked at with the pile of early decision and then many are turned down. If you want to go to a UC you have to get very high grades and also show some other good work,internships or volunteering in your field

Somebody needs to be telling the CC's this because the one my DD is enrolled it touts it as "as long as you maintain a 3.0, you are guaranteed to transfer to Davis or one of the Cal States".

I made her go talk to a counselor after her first Japanese midterm to get advice about whether to retake if she got a C rather than a B (she has since pulled up her grade in the course) and the lady was all, "Plenty of students get multiple C grades and still transfer to a UC" (thanks for nothing :glare: ).

I guess I can't understand that, when a school submits their course for A-G approval they have to submit very detailed paperwork including the name of the textbook, the entire syllabus, textbook samples etc. how can your charter submit the course without a textbook

Just out of curiosity , how do you fulfill A-G requirements without following specifics ?

I mean more power to you as I hate A-G and think it's ridiculous and controlling. But I'm curious. :)

I have a list of recommended textbooks, but I'm not required to use them. I have a syllabus for each class, but it's not a "you must only cover what is on this list". Like I've said before in this thread, all charters are different, it's really best to look at each one individually. 

I currently have a kiddo taking CC classes while enrolled at the charter school. The classes count for high school credit and college credit.

The paperwork that we do monthly isn't a huge deal. It's a calendar with 1 subject/concept per school day of the week (20 days),high school students turns in 1 sample of their work per subject, pe requires either a photo and a short write up or a pe log. K-8 students turn in one sample per subject every other month. My EF also asks for a monthly summary, which I actually like doing. It takes about a half an hour to do all of this, (per kid).

Edited by mamakelly
  • Like 2

I'm so confused because I called UC Davis and she said unequivocally it is NOT a guarantee but only early admission! But this was for computer science so maybe that's the reason,

Yes, maybe that is why. It's very frustrating.

In general, to the topic of the thread, almost all the homestudy charter kids I know are doing the CC to transfer route. Some of them are getting their 60 credits and transferring after their senior year and some are spending an extra year at CC before transfer.

• Like 2

Somebody needs to be telling the CC's this because the one my DD is enrolled it touts it as "as long as you maintain a 3.0, you are guaranteed to transfer to Davis or one of the Cal States".

I made her go talk to a counselor after her first Japanese midterm to get advice about whether to retake if she got a C rather than a B (she has since pulled up her grade in the course) and the lady was all, "Plenty of students get multiple C grades and still transfer to a UC" (thanks for nothing :glare: ).

Ack this is so annoying.

What major is your DD transferring to? It might be because my son is transferring to Computer Science and that, along with medicine and Vet Med, are now considered highly selective at Davis.

You can see even in the quote I quoted above they do not guarantee admission, only early decision.

But then in the paperwork the other person quoted it sounds like they guarantee admission.

• Like 1

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/homeschool/

That says that homeschool students need to have a-g courses AND an official transcript and diploma issued by a public school district, or else the student should hope for admission through examination.

Anyone know what examination? Are they referring to SAT subject tests and AP tests completed any time throughout high school, or some other university specific general examination taken during the application process?

Keep poking on the admission site and you'll find the Admission by examinatkon chart. You have to take the SAT plus two Subject Tests. Then

You take those numbers and use their chart to convert them to a score and add those numbers.

(((To make a ridiculously generalized sweeping statement, your student needs to get a great SAT score (about 70th percentile or higher) plus two great SAT subject scores (same deal maybe 700s ish) but you can take the two subject tests in any subject you want.)))

The above is so generalized it's only useful for the purpose of just giving you an idea that your student needs to prep for the SAT more than anything else, in this scenario :)

• Like 1

Ack this is so annoying.

What major is your DD transferring to? It might be because my son is transferring to Computer Science and that, along with medicine and Vet Med, are now considered highly selective at Davis.

You can see even in the quote I quoted above they do not guarantee admission, only early decision.

But then in the paperwork the other person quoted it sounds like they guarantee admission.

These are the exclusions for Davis, computer science isn't on there, maybe the person you talked to didn't know what they were talking about.

"Undeclared programs and Landscape Architecture; Fiber and Polymer Science suspended 2017- 18"

What happens if they receive more TAG applicants than they can admit due to availability of seats? They say they review various aspects.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/transfer/reviewed/index.html

So why are they reviewing awards if receiving an award isn't the part of a must have to transfer? It seems to me they are selecting from the pool of those who "meet requirements of TAG."

• Like 1

It really depend on the ES and the charter school policies. Some charter schools are stricter and some ES are rigid. A friend requested for a change of ES for her ADHD daughter and got it. Her first ES was just not a good fit.

We considered the charters since we are agnostic but it won't work with our lifestyle. My kids prefer to finish a year's work in two to three months. Block scheduling works very well for them but the ES we got wants the more typical 180 days scheduling for k-8. We are also looking at charters more for social than for the stipends and our local charter does not have a co-op day for my area so we are looking at brick and mortars charters for high school instead if we go for public schools. For some locations the charters have a weekly co-op day. A friend's elementary school daughter loves that and it is free since it is by their charter.

These are the exclusions for Davis, computer science isn't on there, maybe the person you talked to didn't know what they were talking about.

"Undeclared programs and Landscape Architecture; Fiber and Polymer Science suspended 2017- 18"

On UCDavis website

"Q: Are TAG requirements subject to change? If so, when?

A: Criteria required to qualify for a UC Davis TAG can change annually in May, e.g. fall 2017 UC Davis TAG criteria are released to California community colleges in May 2016. We suggest that you meet with your community college counselor between mid-May and early September, one year in advance of your planned UC Davis enrollment."

https://www.ucdavis.edu/admissions/undergraduate/transfer/transfer-admission-guarantee/faq

"Computer Science is now a selective major. TAG applicants must complete courses comparable to the following UC Davis courses with a cumulative GPA of 3.40 (vs. the 3.00 GPA cited earlier in projected future changes) for each of two course groups. Students must have already achieved a cumulative GPA of at least 3.40 for the course(s) from the group listed below that have been completed before submitting the UC TAG Application, e.g. if one course from a group is completed at the time the TAG is submitted, that course must be completed with an A- grade or better.

o Mathematics 21A/B/C

o Engineering Computer Science (ENG CS) 20, 30

• Courses must be completed with a letter grade, with no grade less than C, or by satisfying the course by using AP or IB credit. Required courses must be completed by the end of spring term prior to enrollment. Students must have already achieved the minimum required GPA in the course(s) that have been completed before submitting the UC TAG Application. Please visit the Department of Computer Science website for additional tips on preparing your transfer into this major.

ENG CS 40 is strongly recommended for completion prior to transfer; however, it is no longer required for transfer admission selection as previously published."

https://www.ucdavis.edu/sites/default/files/upload/files/f17tip_criteriachanges.pdf

• Like 1

Ack this is so annoying.

Right now she's leaning towards linguistics for her bachelor's but she's really liking her psychology course and will probably be getting her associate's in that since none of the CC's within reasonable commuting distance have a linguistics associate's. Foothill does but that would be a horrendous commute from our house, especially if we hit rush hour.

UCLA offers a Linguistics major with a psychology concentration and she really likes that idea. It would be a much more expensive option than Berkeley or Davis since she couldn't commute but hopefully by the time she's finished with the associate's I will be done with my own grad school and bringing in a second income.

• Like 1

She was the admissions for the entire Comp sci department -

Maybe this PDF needs to be updated??

It really depend on the ES and the charter school policies. Some charter schools are stricter and some ES are rigid. A friend requested for a change of ES for her ADHD daughter and got it. Her first ES was just not a good fit.

We considered the charters since we are agnostic but it won't work with our lifestyle. My kids prefer to finish a year's work in two to three months. Block scheduling works very well for them but the ES we got wants the more typical 180 days scheduling for k-8. We are also looking at charters more for social than for the stipends and our local charter does not have a co-op day for my area so we are looking at brick and mortars charters for high school instead if we go for public schools. For some locations the charters have a weekly co-op day. A friend's elementary school daughter loves that and it is free since it is by their charter.

On UCDavis website

A: Criteria required to qualify for a UC Davis TAG can change annually in May, e.g. fall 2017 UC Davis TAG criteria are released to California community colleges in May 2016. We suggest that you meet with your community college counselor between mid-May and early September, one year in advance of your planned UC Davis enrollment."

https://www.ucdavis.edu/admissions/undergraduate/transfer/transfer-admission-guarantee/faq

"Computer Science is now a selective major. TAG applicants must complete courses comparable to the following UC Davis courses with a cumulative GPA of 3.40 (vs. the 3.00 GPA cited earlier in projected future changes) for each of two course groups. Students must have already achieved a cumulative GPA of at least 3.40 for the course(s) from the group listed below that have been completed before submitting the UC TAG Application, e.g. if one course from a group is completed at the time the TAG is submitted, that course must be completed with an A- grade or better.

o Mathematics 21A/B/C

• Courses must be completed with a letter grade, with no grade less than C, or by satisfying the course by using AP or IB credit. Required courses must be completed by the end of spring term prior to enrollment. Students must have already achieved the minimum required GPA in the course(s) that have been completed before submitting the UC TAG Application. Please visit the Department of Computer Science website for additional tips on preparing your transfer into this major.

ENG CS 40 is strongly recommended for completion prior to transfer; however, it is no longer required for transfer admission selection as previously published."

https://www.ucdavis.edu/sites/default/files/upload/files/f17tip_criteriachanges.pdf

The way I'm reading that is that computer science isn't excluded from TAG but that there's special requirements?
  • Like 1

The way I'm reading that is that computer science isn't excluded from TAG but that there's special requirements?

The way I am reading it is that computer science isn't excluded from TAG for 2017 admissions but those applying to UCDavis under the TAG program for 2018 admission would only know for sure what the criteria are next month.

So I am taking it as conditions are subjected to change annually which isn't great since students typically do 2 years at CC before transferring. If my kids want to go the TAG route, I would "overprepare" rather than be caught short especially for my DS11 who is not as good a test taker as my DS12. My family is very risk adverse.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

The way I am reading it is that computer science isn't excluded from TAG for 2017 admissions but those applying to UCDavis under the TAG program for 2018 admission would only know for sure what the criteria are next month.

So I am taking it as conditions are subjected to change annually which isn't great since students typically do 2 years at CC before transferring. If my kids want to go the TAG route, I would "overprepare" rather than be caught short especially for my DS11 who is not as good a test taker as my DS12. My family is very risk adverse.

Yes, I agree.

On UCDavis website

o Mathematics 21A/B/C

Thank you. So it looks like we should alwYs call that department rather than relying on old info

The person I spoke to said that lasts year they were so overwhelmed that she recommends getting a 4.0 AND doing either Open Source work, Internships or some other cool computer thing to show you really into Comp sci. She said they turned away tons of kids who met the TAG requirements.

Right now she's leaning towards linguistics for her bachelor's but she's really liking her psychology course and will probably be getting her associate's in that since none of the CC's within reasonable commuting distance have a linguistics associate's. Foothill does but that would be a horrendous commute from our house, especially if we hit rush hour.

UCLA offers a Linguistics major with a psychology concentration and she really likes that idea. It would be a much more expensive option than Berkeley or Davis since she couldn't commute but hopefully by the time she's finished with the associate's I will be done with my own grad school and bringing in a second income.

You're probably good at least at some UCs then. I don't think either of those is a selective major

BUT I though UCLA doesn't participate in TAG.

You might want to call the Linguistics Department.

Couldn't you find another PSP that doesn't have those requirements? I owned/administered a PSP for 16 years, and then passed it on to friends who did it for another four or five years, and we did not have requirements like that. I thought they were onerous and unnecessary (which is why I started my PSP, to be the alternative to the many others which were requiring more than what the law required).

Ellie, yes, I guess I could, but it's the academy day venue that my dd wants and needs. Next year I'll be teaching through them (high school english/logic), so we're committed for the first year of high school. After that, who knows. I think they charge a *lot* and have extra hoops I don't necessarily want or need, but for now it suits. We shall see in a year or so.

• Like 2

You're probably good at least at some UCs then. I don't think either of those is a selective major

BUT I though UCLA doesn't participate in TAG.

You might want to call the Linguistics Department.

Even if they don't participate in TAG she can still apply to transfer. The acceptance rate for transfers is higher than for freshman applicants.

There are special requirements,

AND it sounded like it is going to be excluded from the TAG guaranteed Admission...according to the person I spoke with.  How can they guarantee admission when they have more people applying than what they have seats for? ...I think I am going to call again.  

We cannot trust any of that paperwork it's all subject to change...that PDF is a guide, but it's not as good as calling Admissions and finding out...seeing your counselor, using ASSIST.ORG and above all

getting a 4.0 

bwahahahahah 

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 1

The person I spoke to said that lasts year they were so overwhelmed that she recommends getting a 4.0 AND doing either Open Source work, Internships or some other cool computer thing to show you really into Comp sci. She said they turned away tons of kids who met the TAG requirements.

UCDavis open house is this Saturday. If you can, go and feel the ground sentiment and get to know admin and teaching staff.

https://picnicday.ucdavis.edu

Here many who want to major in compsci are doing volunteer work in compsci. Helps the public high school kids chalk up their community service hours requirement and satisfy the show interest part.

• Like 1

Based on my understanding, TAG contracts guarantee admission to the school, but not admission to an impacted programs if that makes sense. 

This is a rundown of impacted programs... http://cacollegetransfer.com/2016/05/selective-capped-majors-at-each-uc/

There are 4 ways to gain admission to UC with respect to a-g requirements. 

IMO, they go from easiest to most difficult. The 3rd option admission by examination (SAT/ACT plus 2 subject exams) seems easy until you actually look at the formula calculation. It looks like you probably need to be scoring in the low 90th percentiles. The admission by exception seems like it works for exceptional candidates if you are going for a selective school. Not a route that would work well if you are the average good student without a hook aiming for a selective school.

You can read about it here:

http://www.ucop.edu/agguide/a-g-requirements/

Even going the traditional route is no guarantee as my nephew didn't get into Harvey Mudd or UCB. He had a decent hook (one of the top 15 high school rowers in the nation - was being actively recruited by other schools). SAT 1510 with a 4.55 GPA. My niece was a similar story - good hook, great SAT and great GPA. Both are at UCLA which is still a great school, but it wasn't their dream school.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 5

Based on my understanding, TAG contracts guarantee admission to the school, but not admission to an impacted programs if that makes sense.

This is a rundown of impacted programs... http://cacollegetransfer.com/2016/05/selective-capped-majors-at-each-uc/

There are 4 ways to gain admission to UC with respect to a-g requirements. You can find them here:

IMO, they go from easiest to most difficult. The 3rd option admission by examination (SAT/ACT plus 2 subject exams) seems easy until you actually look at the formula calculation. It looks like you probably need to be scoring in the low 90th percentiles. The admission by exception seems like it works for exceptional candidates if you are going for a selective school. Not a route that would work well if you are the average good student without a hook aiming for a selective school.

You can read about it here:

http://www.ucop.edu/agguide/a-g-requirements/

Even going the traditional route is no guarantee as my nephew didn't get into Harvey Mudd or UCB. He had a decent hook (one of the top 15 high school rowers in the nation - was being actively recruited by other schools). SAT 1510 with a 4.55 GPA. My niece was a similar story - good hook, great SAT and great GPA. Both are at UCLA which is still a great school, but it wasn't their dream school.

Wow.

• Like 1