Menu

Kindle Fire (or other tablet) parental control options

amo_mea_filiis.

UPDATE... Ds now has Learning Ally, which is not kindle fire compatible. :( so I'm still looking for something.

What other tablets come to mind?

.;.........................................................

I like apple. But apple fails in the parental control world.

Is it possible on the Fire or another tablet to restrict access to ONLY book and audiobook apps?

Literally no access to absolutely anything else. If the screens can be cleared of everything but those apps, that's even better.

Edited by amo_mea_filiis.

I'm not sure because we don't use ours quite that way, but I can describe some of the options for you.

You can block all Amazon content and apps collectively our by categories including: Newsstand, books, audible, music, Amazon video, docs, apps & games, photos, web browser, "email, contacts, calendars", camera, Alexa

Password protection is available for: video and twitch playback, wifi, location services

Amazon stores can be blocked

You can Password protect purchases

Social sharing can be blocked

You can set a curfew schedule

You can monitor the profile.

I don't know if those options will let you do what you are wanting to do though. I've run into a couple of things that don't work the way I would like. The books I read are also available on their tablets and I can't see how to avoid that. Some games/apps seem to need access to things I was hoping to leave blocked (can't remember the specifics atm).

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I'm not sure because we don't use ours quite that way, but I can describe some of the options for you.

You can block all Amazon content and apps collectively our by categories including: Newsstand, books, audible, music, Amazon video, docs, apps & games, photos, web browser, "email, contacts, calendars", camera, Alexa

Password protection is available for: video and twitch playback, wifi, location services

Amazon stores can be blocked

You can Password protect purchases

Social sharing can be blocked

You can set a curfew schedule

You can monitor the profile.

I don't know if those options will let you do what you are wanting to do though. I've run into a couple of things that don't work the way I would like. The books I read are also available on their tablets and I can't see how to avoid that. Some games/apps seem to need access to things I was hoping to leave blocked (can't remember the specifics atm).

Hope that helps.

If you set them into a family profile you can choose which books appear in a child's account

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hmm, they have profiles set up, but still seem to are everything I check it from the library. This hasn't been an issue since they have no interest in what I read, but it makes me nervous since I'm not always thinking of then when I check it. Perhaps I have a setting in my/their profile that needs to be changed. Also possible that although they can are the covers they might not be able to open them. I don't know if anyone has tried that.

Yes, Apps & games was listed as one category. What that means in practice, though, is that every app they want to download requires my password for approval. I should mention that once one of my kids had downloaded the game, they all have access. But clearly I'm a few bytes short of understanding the system, so there may be a way to prevent that if needed.

We don't use audible, but ebooks that I buy I can download to the Cloud and then send to their devices easily. None of my dc has internet turned on. My older two have email connected, but not the youngest. I don't know how they would get music without internet except by directly loading it? I guess no one has tried music except the annoying background noise from games.

Oh, and we can checkout library material with Overdrive or Hoopla from our library. My youngest has had a couple of audio books, so that probably means Audible shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by SusanC

O. M. G. Apple all the way!!!

So apple has this feature, Guided Access. Turn it on, open the wanted app, triple click, create a password! No other apps will work! You have to triple click and enter the password to exit.

This means that until he needs a way to look and listen, his iPod (that's been locked out of) will be perfect! If he ever becomes interested in reading along, he'll get an iPad mini.

• Like 1

I don't know what Learning Ally uses but Kindle Fires can be set up as Android tablets and accept apps from Google Play.  I had to do it so my kids could use Epic books, Pokemon Go, so it would work for our Edison robots, and a few other things.

I found it here because I was looking specifically for Pokemon Go at the time.  But you can just download the Google Play files and ignore the Pokemon Go stuff.  I've done this on 7 Kindle Fires already and there's no problems.

http://pokemongokindlefire.com/