Menu

Company Announces Hiring Ban on Homeschooled Graduates

I know this article was written in 14.   But come on!  https://www.hslda.org/hs/state/oh/201405050.asp I don't think this has anything to do with common core.  It has more to do with someone being a AH and none too bright at that. First they are discriminating against homeschool graduates.  Second saying it out loud that they don't accept homeschool graduates though homeschooling is legal.  

Edited by happybeachbum
  • Like 2

I'd take it with a grain of salt unless there's some real evidence to back it up.  And even then....

HSLDA is click bait.  It preys on the insecurities of homeschoolers to make a buck and continually puts out stories that are filled with "mostly-truths", but exaggerated or have had key facts glossed over to make the story seem more worrisome than it is.  It is the homeschooler's equivalent of Faux News.

• Like 14

I know this article was written in 14.   But come on!  https://www.hslda.org/hs/state/oh/201405050.asp I don't think this has anything to do with common core.  It has more to do with someone being a AH and none to bright at that. First they are discriminating against homeschool graduates.  Second saying it out loud that they don't accept homeschool graduates though homeschooling is legal.  

I remember reading this back in 2014.  The issue centered around the validity of the homeschool diploma.  Since 2014, Ohio has rewritten its laws to state that a homeschool diploma is official and must be recognized as such by entities that require proof of high school graduation.  Here is a link to more info:

https://www.cheohome.org/diploma-fairness/

• Like 5

HSLDA is click bait. It preys on the insecurities of homeschoolers to make a buck and continually puts out stories that are filled with "mostly-truths", but exaggerated or have had key facts glossed over to make the story seem more worrisome than it is. It is the homeschooler's equivalent of Faux News.

Exactly this.

Googling it is pretty funny.  Some of the headlines seriously made me laugh.  Anyway, it was their interpretation of an ambiguous law that has since been changed.  Also, they didn't exactly ban "homeschool grads" but withdrew an employment offer for A homeschool grad.

Also, it is any company's right to not hire homeschool grads.  Homeschoolers are not a protected class.  The company actually did nothing illegal.

If it makes you feel better, there are some companies that advertise open positions via word of mouth or email in the homeschool community circles before publicly posting, because the manager prefers to hire homeschoolers.

A man I was making small talk with while in a waiting room recently owned a business and told me he only hired college students from one of several local universities. He told me students from that university were always dependable and he had misfortune employing students from the few other local universities. I haven't read the posted article, but maybe the company owner had a bad experience with one or more homeschooler employees and generalized the entire homeschool population.

I know this article was written in 14. But come on! https://www.hslda.org/hs/state/oh/201405050.asp I don't think this has anything to do with common core. It has more to do with someone being a AH and none to bright at that. First they are discriminating against homeschool graduates. Second saying it out loud that they don't accept homeschool graduates though homeschooling is legal.

I hate to point this out since it was probably a typo and not a grammar error, but it is ironic all the same.

It should read "none too bright."

• Like 1