Menu

Homeschool reminders that I grew up during the 80's, or, is it just me?

Misha

Every time I see a post about Mystery Science, my first thought is "Mystery Science Theatre" and any time someone mentions Reflex math, I think of the Duran Duran song.  :laugh:

There is a new MST 3K out - it's a Netflix series that started this past Friday. I haven't watched it yet, but maybe tomorrow. I read somewhere that it's really good. 

• Like 4

Or reading about Constantinople and all you can think of is They Might Be Giants.

When we were studying that period of history I played that song during our lessons.

I used birdhouse in my soul, too. Sure that might have been a bit of a stretch but it does mention Jason and the Argonauts.

• Like 4

There is a new MST 3K out - it's a Netflix series that started this past Friday. I haven't watched it yet, but maybe tomorrow. I read somewhere that it's really good. 

Oh, I had heard that, but I keep forgetting about it. Must look for it!

• Like 1

In studying world history, I wait until we finally get to Abraham Lincoln in our studies and then we pull out Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and watch all the historical characters we're learned about interact.  (Wait..maybe we have to wait to learn about Billy the Kid last...was he before or after Lincoln?)  

Be excellent to each other.

• Like 14

In studying world history, I wait until we finally get to Abraham Lincoln in our studies and then we pull out Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and watch all the historical characters we're learned about interact.  (Wait..maybe we have to wait to learn about Billy the Kid last...was he before or after Lincoln?)  

Be excellent to each other.

My younger daughter used to do Scottish Highland dance.

She was about 11 years old when we saw Bill and Ted. Not long after that, we traveled to another part of the state for a small competition. Because it was so small, all of the dancers at her level were competing against each other instead of having different age groups. Two of the dancers had been national champions, one had been an international champion. When we saw whom she'd be dancing against, and knowing that she didn't have a hope of placing, I looked at her and said, "Be excellent." She nodded solemnly. And she placed third in one of the dances. :-)

• Like 3

My younger daughter used to do Scottish Highland dance.

She was about 11 years old when we saw Bill and Ted. Not long after that, we traveled to another part of the state for a small competition. Because it was so small, all of the dancers at her level were competing against each other instead of having different age groups. Two of the dancers had been national champions, one had been an international champion. When we saw whom she'd be dancing against, and knowing that she didn't have a hope of placing, I looked at her and said, "Be excellent." She nodded solemnly. And she placed third in one of the dances. :-)

I love it! And belated congratulations to your DD! 

• Like 1

For science, I always think of Thomas Dolby and "She blinded me with science...."

Going way back....in 10th grade English, we had the vocab word "aplomb."  My English teacher starting singing "She dropped aplomb on me....baby...."  And yes, I still think that when I see that word.

TMBG also has a great song about The Sun....

• Like 4

TMBG also has a great song about The Sun....

Two of them, actually, right?

I haven't had the Reflex problem, but we are big TMBG folks. All Mesopotamia lessons are followed by a certain song. Ditto Istanbul/Constantinople lessons.

We have all three Bill and Ted films because they came together, but really, who doesn't like to have a discussion about the different literary battles with death? (Dd just talked about the one in Canterbury Tales earlier this year.)

I love it! And belated congratulations to your DD! 

TYVM! When the winners were announced for that particular dance (she competed in four or five) and her name was called, we were stunned. Seeing her on the stage with with International Champion and National Champion was an incredible experience. :-)

A couple of years later I allowed her to take ballet, because I thought it would help her Highland. Instead, ballet sucked her out of Highland. I was crushed, lol. But she loved ballet with her soul; as an adult she taught ballet for several years. She is too tall to be a professional dancer, and has some physical limitations to boot, so that was out, but she can still teach. And she's a good teacher. :001_wub: She isn't teaching now, though, because her married life has taken her to a small town where there are no opportunities for teaching. However, there are a couple of  dance/theater places, and she has participated in a few things, so it's all good. :-)

Edited by Ellie