Menu

Bravewriter high school classes--how much feedback?

I am familiar with the ACT/SAT class. Instructors comment quite a lot, and there is some variance depending on what the student's writing indicates the student needs. Some get comments every few lines, and others get comments per paragraph, give or take. If you've taken any other BW classes, it's the same general idea as the classes for the younger kids. Even those that get fewer comments still get extensive feedback. 

Disclaimer--I am connected with BW, so I have a bit of a bias.

• Like 1

DD got so far:

- paragraph feedback at the end

- in text commentary

- highlighters to focus on certain patterns (good & bad)

The feedback is always encouraging, but when a writing has much to improve they might choose to pick some things to concentrate on, instead of mentioning everything.

Their feedback doesn't sound as critique (mine does)

Unless dd is mixing up her languages :) (=when her English sounds too Dutch or other language)

Dd improved a lot due to BW classes, we are looking forward to our next ones :)

• Like 3

DD got so far:

- in text commentary

The feedback is always encouraging, but when a writing has much to improve they might choose to pick some things to concentrate on, instead of mentioning everything.

Unless dd is mixing up her languages :) (=when her English sounds too Dutch or other language)

If she has taken high school essay ones, how many hours per week of homework outside of class?

DD got so far:

- in text commentary

Thank you for the detailed response!

ETA on mixing languages, DS wrote "mal" in one essay recently.

Maybe he misunderstood me when I said "you can't just write "bad this", bad that"? Lol he thought he fixed it 😂

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2

I love the feedback. There is critique, but it is always in a positive way. Sometimes it is on particular word choices, but much of the time is it in the form of asking questions to draw out  more information. They don't tell you what to write. They always pick some things to point out that you are doing great to encourage, but most of it is critique to improve. It can come both as sentence to sentence critique as well as paragraph critique at the end.

I've had three kids of varying ability take BW classes and they've all gotten excellent critique and all have improved and carried the improvements into future writing. The assignments are usually broken down into small enough pieces as to not overwhelm. You typically have at least 2-3 days between when something is assigned and when due so you can fit it around a busy day. I think it is a very reasonable amount of work, but how much time it takes varies dramatically on how much of a resistant writer you have.

• Like 3

If she has taken high school essay ones, how many hours per week of homework outside of class?

Bravewriter has not such a thing as 'class'.

It is all written.

Each student read at its own time the texts, the samples, and assignments.

Then one can reflects or make the assignment.

So imo there is only homework :)

• Like 2

Bravewriter has not such a thing as 'class'.

It is all written.

Each student read at its own time the texts, the samples, and assignments.

Then one can reflects or make the assignment.

So imo there is only homework :)

They have two Expository essay classes followed by Advanced Comp. If you are familiar with those, would you recommend all three of is there a significant overlap in content? I like the looks of those three in addition to Lit analysis and MLA research paper class. I just wonder how much overlap there is. Those classes are so increadibly expensive.

We have only done KWI & Expository 1 so far.

Next month will dd do the Highschool Writing Projects.

I would just ask BW and mail them.

When we started with BW, I had no idea what course to chose.

After mailing we started with KWI which was indeed a good place to start for dd.

• Like 1

They have two Expository essay classes followed by Advanced Comp. If you are familiar with those, would you recommend all three of is there a significant overlap in content? I like the looks of those three in addition to Lit analysis and MLA research paper class. I just wonder how much overlap there is. Those classes are so increadibly expensive.

We've done both Expository Essay classes, MLA Research paper and Adv. Composition. Haven't done any literary essay since it hasn't fit in our schedule.

I'd first recommend the first Expository Essay class and the MLA  research class.

EE2 is another essay class and is very good (and different). but this would be one to skip since it is similar.

Adv. Composition is more essays, but gives your student a lot of new tools to use and is very good.

• Like 5

My son has taken a lot of Bravewriter classes. The most recent one, and likely his last one, was MLA Research Essay. There was copious feedback from the instructor. The class is limited to ten students, and I can see why. It must take a ton of time to give that much feedback to each student. Do note that because the class size is so small, it can fill up within hours of opening for registration.

• Like 5