Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

S/o people who aren't here anymore

I doubt anyone would notice if I were I missing, but I'm pretty sure my husband knows that he needs to post on my bookmarked sites if something happens. We have that sort of understanding that my online friends who do care would want to know, even if the bulk of people wouldn't care.

Liz CA and I would track you down and demand Bennie pics. Where else am I supposed to get my baby fix?!?

• Like 5

I would wonder about the Australians and Kiwis; I often keep quite a late schedule (in US terms) and am awake with people on the other side of the world.  The population of this board is much smaller at 3am central US time.

• Like 10

I would wonder about the Australians and Kiwis; I often keep quite a late schedule (in US terms) and am awake with people on the other side of the world. The population of this board is much smaller at 3am central US time.

Maybe this is my issue too. I am most often on here between 11pm and 3am and again between 6am and 8 am.

• Like 2

I would prefer not to be noticeable.

Kind of hard with the age span of my kids, though.

I am sure a lot of people just blow me off as a troll.

When I first read the OP I would have said that I don't think people would notice. But now I'm not sure. There have been enough people who have said they would  not be noticed who I have noticed were gone, and now I don't know. 

I don't post as much as I used to, and my views have become much more moderate so I don't cause much of a stir or excitement.

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Like 1

I doubt anyone would notice if I were I missing, but I'm pretty sure my husband knows that he needs to post on my bookmarked sites if something happens. We have that sort of understanding that my online friends who do care would want to know, even if the bulk of people wouldn't care.

I always look to read your posts, AM, and your responses. We have different political views but I find you express your views in compelling ways. Then when you posted your husband's updates after Ben, I felt like we were married to the same person (just opposite political spectrum).

• Like 3

This becomes more true every year for me as my kids get older. It's one thing to share frustrations over learning the multiplication table and quite another to share ... anything... about teens and older. Given that most of my life is centered around these people, that starts to become very limited in what I share about my family.

I can see doing the same. I'm not an overly private person online. But I kind of feel like my kids have the right to be, if they want.

I'm flattered everyone will miss me and my baby pictures - now Peter knows for sure to update here if I fall for a cliff. This also confirms that I probably dink around here too much in my non-spare time if I'm posting that much :p

This board is like crack.

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 6

I always figure I wouldn't be noticed.  But, I feel the same way IRL.  I tend to feel like I"m not noticeable to others.  The times when it becomes clear I'm wrong (rarely), I'm always surprised.   I tend to always feel like I'm on the periphery of a group, not really part of it no matter how involved I am.  I think there's a name for that (besides introvert, imposter syndrome, etc.).

This is me.  I call it "My Life on the D-List." 

Yes!  I've done this, too, on zombie threads.  I surprise myself because I think, "Oh, I haven't seen so-and-so post in a long time...and never even realized I hadn't seen them."  Then I feel bad for not missing them.  And I do wonder where they went.

I assume they stopped homeschooling for some reason and got jobs and don't have time for the boards anymore.

I am terrible with names, and but I do remember avatars.  When people change avatars and I don't catch the notice, I get confused. 

I don't think anyone would notice if I left until there was another contentious LGBTQ thread. Someone would realize that the overall rage and snark level of the conversation seemed lower, and then it would click. :p

Oh, I always look for your comments on any contentious threads, LGBTQ or otherwise.  Your posts have really helped me in coping with a child who is trans. 

I think the bigness of the boards makes it hard to notice people who are missing.  It makes it easy to be anonymous which, for me, it a big thing.  I talk about things here that I just can't discuss in real life ... I have no one to talk to about big stuff.  Also, I can talk about things here without as much worry about respecting my children's privacy.  I can't do that on facebook. 

With so much of my life imploding over the last 3 years, this place is one where I imagine that I am important and that I matter.  I spend way too much time here, even though I don't post all that much.  And I feel like I have less and less to say since I am nearing the end of my homeschool journey. 

ETA:  I don't think dh would know to post here.  He never let anyone know about my surgery last year, even when I needed help.  Dd might, though. 

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
  • Like 9

I think that people have the wrong idea that the people they talk to on the internet aren't real. Now, some could be fake, but most of us are genuine people, and we've helped each other, supported and encouraged each other, argued with each other, and made each other laugh, too.

Perhaps we should all consider an individual "Goodbye" thread when we plan on ending our time on here. It could be a new tradition.

• Like 7

I think that people have the wrong idea that the people they talk to on the internet aren't real. Now, some could be fake, but most of us are genuine people, and we've helped each other, supported and encouraged each other, argued with each other, and made each other laugh, too.

Not only are most real, I've actually "used" a couple of people IRL when I've had needs - like a hurricane evacuation plan for my then freshman son in St Petersburg, FL - or specific health needs when they came up suddenly (thanks Sue in St Pete and Catherine - respectively!!).  Then there's Jo Jo's story (kitten).  Thanks School-uh-what numbers come next???  (Ok, so I don't always remember exact screen names...)

And it's been fun/rewarding being able to help a faraway Boardie in a similar manner - Jane in NC's son is a wonderful young gentleman.

Any Boardie out there can see if we're in the area if their kids (or similar) were to need assistance in south central PA.  Boardies who live around here can always check with me too.

• Like 7

If I disappeared, the memory of me would likely just be rolled

into Clementine. Much to the honorable lady's detriment.

• Like 11

If I disappeared, the memory of me would likely just be rolled

into Clementine. Much to the honorable lady's detriment.

Ha! 

I noticed recently that there's someone on the high school or college board who has a bunch of vegetable kids like I do, just older. We're not related though (afaik).

• Like 3

And if I don't notice someone whose posted 10,000 times, then probably people don't notice me, either, and wouldn't notice if I was gone.

I don't want to sound like a weirdo, but I would notice if you vanished from the boards.  I follow your posts, because we have kids the same age and it seems like we use similar teaching methods/resources.

• Like 3

Liz CA and I would track you down and demand Bennie pics. Where else am I supposed to get my baby fix?!?

Maybe Arctic Mama was hoping she could slip into obscurity...but no chance, honey.

• Like 5

(Also, apparently I've been lying about my kids' ages... two years on mobile and not realizing my signature hasn't been updated will do that.)

This made me get off my duff and check my signature! I'm on mobile too and never see the full version anymore. It would have been my original from Kindy or something. And now the kiddos are 12. But alas, I guess I knew something like that would happen and changed to no signature years ago.

Well, I'm still a little concerned about Tranquilmind, who appears to have poofed.

If I drop dead, my family has instructions to let everybody online know. Don't worry. You'll be informed, and told where to send your charity dollars in lieu of flowers.

I've been wondering about her. You asked a couple of weeks ago and I never saw a follow up. I was hoping it's because I don't follow the social groups on politics. Now I'm a little worried. I guess I always took TM posts for granted. I don't think people realize how much of an impact they can have whether we agree or disagree.

For instance, Arctic Mama I remember a thread when you were just barely pregnant with BIG and were very passionate and your comment made a distinct impression (in a good way and I totally agreed ) I don't think I will forget anytime soon. It made me consider how outgoing I was of positions I advocated. Seriously made for some serious self examination......

You just never know when you might make a huge impact on someone here. That's why I love the diversity here.

• Like 4

PariSarah just came to mind. Does anyone here remember her? Or better yet, is she back under a different name? Last I remember, she was getting her PhD.

• Like 2

I don't want to sound like a weirdo, but I would notice if you vanished from the boards. I follow your posts, because we have kids the same age and it seems like we use similar teaching methods/resources.

You don't sound like a weirdo--it's the same with me: I remember the boardies whose kids are my ages the most. I definately remember seeing your posts on various threads about what currc to use since the kids are the same age and we're all trying to figure out the best fit for our students.

• Like 1

PariSarah just came to mind. Does anyone here remember her? Or better yet, is she back under a different name? Last I remember, she was getting her PhD.

I remember her, and miss her. If she's here now, I haven't recognized her "voice."

I've been thinking about this, and realize that with a busy schedule, I don't always notice when someone is gone - I suppose I figure they're occupied with life events. But what I DO notice is when someone who's been away comes back. Kinsa, I was happy to see you return - I knew you'd left all those years ago. And there are others. I see a name pop up that hasn't been around, and it hits me then that person had been inactive for a while.

• Like 1

I've been wondering about her. You asked a couple of weeks ago and I never saw a follow up. I was hoping it's because I don't follow the social groups on politics. Now I'm a little worried. I guess I always took TM posts for granted. I don't think people realize how much of an impact they can have whether we agree or disagree.

For instance, Arctic Mama I remember a thread when you were just barely pregnant with BIG and were very passionate and your comment made a distinct impression (in a good way and I totally agreed ) I don't think I will forget anytime soon. It made me consider how outgoing I was of positions I advocated. Seriously made for some serious self examination......

You just never know when you might make a huge impact on someone here. That's why I love the diversity here.

Awe shucks, I'm glad I might be memorable in a positive way, I can grate the on some people!

I thought TM ducked out due to some frustrations with the political stuff, but that could just be a coincidence. I miss her too.

• Like 3

I've wondered that, too. But then I realize there is one person here that would probably attend my funeral (hi Happypamama!) and she'd let everyone know. But without Happypamama, I've wondered the same thing...would anyone notice, and if they did it probably wouldn't be for many months, and then it would be in passing and they'd forget about it as soon as they thought of it.

Every now and then I see someone post something and they have 10,000 posts, yet I've never, ever noticed them before. How is that possible?? And if I don't notice someone whose posted 10,000 times, then probably people don't notice me, either, and wouldn't notice if I was gone.

I hadn't taken it a step further to think that there probably has been someone who posted a lot and then died and none of us ever knew. My dh and kids would never in a million years think to tell my invisible friends (you) about it. I do have a will...maybe I should attach a little note to the will for them to let you guys know.

Hi Garga! I'd certainly notice if you went missing, and I'd attend your funeral. I'd alert the Hive too. :). (And we need to get together again soon. I feel more like myself these days, or at least like the new version of myself.)

DH has a list of people to alert if something happened to me, if I weren't able to do so myself. I'd trust that they'd spread the word as needed. My sister and mom would also know which local friends to alert if DH didn't, and so would DD. I know how to reach the most important of DH's friends too, invisible or otherwise.

I notice if I haven't seen certain posters around here in a while -- Garga, another who is a good local friend, some with kids my kids' ages, the others who have come to our get togethers, Creekland, posters with whom I have something in common.

I read on my phone via Safari a lot, and that doesn't show me who started the thread, which makes me think I haven't seen certain people around much.

(I haven't been around much lately. I'm getting life back together, and I don't have a lot of updates other than just that we're keeping going.)

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 5

And ArcticMama, when I'm reading regularly, I would notice if you stopped posting. And Murphy. And hjffk. And Quill. And a lot of others.

• Like 2

(And we need to get together again soon. I feel more like myself these days, or at least like the new version of myself.)

I was thinking you probably were ready to get out and about again, at least a little bit. I actually already had it on my to-do list to contact you this weekend and see if you're up for dinner. :)

• Like 2

Not too long ago, I didn't post for quite a while.  Did anyone miss me :)

I have done the same thing a few times. Just got bogged down with many different issues and got very busy doing other things. 

A couple of times I felt kind of sad that no one p.m.ed me to see if I was okay. I have changed over the past 8-10 years and post more personal stuff than I used to. I used to be on the fringes but I feel that I post a lot more now which means y'all can get to know me better. 

Sometimes when I have noticed people missing I have contacted them by p.m. and a few have responded. One said she was busy with homeschooling, keeping up with her blog, and enjoying field trips in one of the great cities in California, and then one of her kids had a terrible accident and she had to take care of him.

Chucki the parrothead (I forget her board name), Mrs Mungo, the lady in TX who moved to CO and was stalked on the board by her soon-to-be-new-neighbor before she even moved there, Mominhighheels who did reappear recently, hornblower also disappeared for awhile and seems to come and go...

Morbid, maybe for some of us. Just the ebb and flow of life.

People rarely p.m. me unless it's to respond to me, so that's my story too. I have tried to make connections but I am a hard one to figure out I guess. That shouldn't really matter. Are we compatible only because we think we'd like each other in real life or if we only agree with one another in every thread we've posted in? I hope not. 

• Like 4

I thought TM ducked out due to some frustrations with the political stuff, but that could just be a coincidence. I miss her too.

That doesn't sound like her. I mean, that doesn't sound like me, and the two of us are constantly butting heads over political stuff. If she was likely to duck out due to frustrations on that front, why the heck did I ever end up going page after page after page with her rehashing the same three points over and over again?

It's all very unsettling, and leaves me feeling like something is left unfinished. I don't want people poofing before I can convince them that I'm right and they're wrong. I know people do drift off from online communities, but in this case it really did seem sudden, which is why I am still worried. Not, like, all the time worried, but in the back of my mind.

• Like 1

That doesn't sound like her. I mean, that doesn't sound like me, and the two of us are constantly butting heads over political stuff. If she was likely to duck out due to frustrations on that front, why the heck did I ever end up going page after page after page with her rehashing the same three points over and over again?

I thought the same as Arctic - that on TM's politics/current events forum she'd posted a few weeks(?) ago that she needed a break. 

ETA: I think TM maybe thought that on her own social group she'd get more agreement, or at least more respect - some people were kind of ad hominem-ish... though I'm not sure why she didn't just kick them out... though I think there was something about some people (maybe including TM?) having been kicked out of the Politics social group for ad hominems etc, so maybe she felt she wanted to be above that? I don't know. I probably should shut up now, because all of this is speculation based on some vague memories. 

Edited by luuknam

I am thinking now I ought to change my name to something catchier, more fun, less boring. I really don't know where that came from. :) This has been my board name since 2001.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I'm sorry. :(

I do sometimes think I have too much exposure here, with my face and a long posting history. It would be easy to identify me IRL by anyone who sees me here.

Don't be sorry for me. I am out and safe, and the kids and I are in an excellent place in life right now. Healing. We have beaten some unreal statistical odds. Be sorry for the women who are stuck. Be angry for the women who have not beaten the odds. It is a dangerous trip, leaving an abuser.

*soapbox* ;)

Modern life is public and on display. We all have to decide how much we want on display, how much to risk.

I choose not to hide. Life is risky.

And, I do think about various posters from time to time. This board is a unique community.

• Like 19

Don't be sorry for me. I am out and safe, and the kids and I are in an excellent place in life right now. Healing. We have beaten some unreal statistical odds. Be sorry for the women who are stuck. Be angry for the women who have not beaten the odds. It is a dangerous trip, leaving an abuser.

*soapbox* ;)

Modern life is public and on display. We all have to decide how much we want on display, how much to risk.

And, I do think about various posters from time to time. This board is a unique community.

Congratulations and I am so glad you are in a place of healing and restoration! Praying for your safety.

• Like 2

This board is like crack.

That much is certain.  :laugh:

Seriously, this is a real community and I love you guys. You have made a real impact in my life in so many different ways, and I am thankful for it.

:grouphug: to all.

• Like 12

I certainly miss several people who used to be regular posters and no longer are.  I was on the old board and left for quite some time.  Not only was I not missed people thought I was a troll when I returned.   :001_rolleyes:   

• Like 2

Speaking of people.....is Hornblower still around and I've just been on the wrong threads?

She comes and goes in long stretches. I think she was off board for a couple of years before this last year? I was happy she had come back.

• Like 2

I am thinking now I ought to change my name to something catchier, more fun, less boring. I really don't know where that came from. :) This has been my board name since 2001.

Are you kidding? You are THE Liz of CA. You might as well be Madonna. Or Cher. Or anyone else who can stand on one name. :) 

Had I known what a big deal names were I would've chosen more carefully when I joined the boards. I signed up with a simple name I could remember for sign on,  never expecting to post much. I obviously underestimated my need to wag my big mouth.....via typing of course! :) 

• Like 6

Don't be sorry for me. I am out and safe, and the kids and I are in an excellent place in life right now. Healing. We have beaten some unreal statistical odds.

I'm so glad for you.  :cheers2:

I would miss several people. I regularly miss Murphy but check her FB to make sure she is ok.

I missed Cat when she was busy with her sick husband.

I have been here long enough that I have started to relate to some people more than others.

• Like 8

Had I known what a big deal names were I would've chosen more carefully when I joined the boards. I signed up with a simple name I could remember for sign on,  never expecting to post much. I obviously underestimated my need to wag my big mouth.....via typing of course! :)

Ha! Me, too. I expected to post once or twice.  :o

I've wanted to change my username for a long time, but am not clever enough to pick an awesome new one. I'd love one with "unicorn" in it, but don't want to compete with Sparkly. :D I don't think DH would want me to use my real name.

Maybe I should put it to a poll.  :)

• Like 2

Ha! Me, too. I expected to post once or twice.  :o

I've wanted to change my username for a long time, but am not clever enough to pick an awesome new one. I'd love one with "unicorn" in it, but don't want to compete with Sparkly. :D I don't think DH would want me to use my real name.

Maybe I should put it to a poll.  :)

Maybe we should take a poll what people think about name changes. ;)

• Like 3

It's all very unsettling, and leaves me feeling like something is left unfinished. I don't want people poofing before I can convince them that I'm right and they're wrong. I know people do drift off from online communities, but in this case it really did seem sudden, which is why I am still worried. Not, like, all the time worried, but in the back of my mind.

Lol! I also thought she left because she got too distressed about political or Current Events. (See how wise SWB is to not have those topics on the main board?) Unless perhaps she changed her UN and is sneaking around incognito.

For several years, I was an active part of a different online community and TBH, I have wondered if anyone missed me when I stopped posting there. Some members here were members there also, but nobody ever asked me if I had quit that board. (Actually, I didn't fully decide to quit that board, I just stopped going there and then didn't miss it much and then started posting here. So my quitting there was somewhat phasic.)

*soapbox* ;)

: ) : ) : )

Holding you and your family in the light.

Hugs,

Nan

Maybe we should take a poll what people think about name changes. ;)

Personally, I say don't change names or avis unless there is a threatening situation and you have to go incognito. I must not be a very good sleuth because I can't identify a post as an old poster with a new name in the large majority of cases. There's just a "new" person with 8,000 posts and I won't recognize them unless they are widely known for a certain topic and then I "catch" them posting about their favorite topic. This has actually only happened one time when I did manage to recognize a poster because of something in the way they debated about their favorite topic.

There are a few posters who came on in a blaze of glory, possibly in troll territory, and then they seem to have disappeared. A handful of intense first posts that went for pages and garnered warnings from mods, then...nothing. I do wonder what happened to those people, and I wonder if their conundrums were legit or if they were pure troll from day one.

• Like 5

This is me. I call it "My Life on the D-List."

I am terrible with names, and but I do remember avatars. When people change avatars and I don't catch the notice, I get confused.

Oh, I always look for your comments on any contentious threads, LGBTQ or otherwise. Your posts have really helped me in coping with a child who is trans.

I think the bigness of the boards makes it hard to notice people who are missing. It makes it easy to be anonymous which, for me, it a big thing. I talk about things here that I just can't discuss in real life ... I have no one to talk to about big stuff. Also, I can talk about things here without as much worry about respecting my children's privacy. I can't do that on facebook.

With so much of my life imploding over the last 3 years, this place is one where I imagine that I am important and that I matter. I spend way too much time here, even though I don't post all that much. And I feel like I have less and less to say since I am nearing the end of my homeschool journey.

ETA: I don't think dh would know to post here. He never let anyone know about my surgery last year, even when I needed help. Dd might, though.

I would most definitely miss you if you stopped posting. I have in the past when I haven't run across your posts for a bit. I am glad you've kept your pirate name. : )

Nan

• Like 4

As a retired homeschooler, I am certainly not as active on the boards as I once was.  The Book a Week thread keeps me around though.

Some of us on the BaW thread are on a "postcard" mailing list. When someone disappears for a bit, I tend to write a snail mail note to say hello. 

Now if Nan hasn't surfaced in a while, I often receive a PM or two from someone asking if she is OK.  Apparently her PM box tends to be full!

Like others here, my WTM relationships have gone from virtual to real life beyond sending snail mail hellos.  Some of you may remember in Colleen in NS.  She and her family spent a night with us at a summer cottage.  My then teenaged son thought I was nuts asking people I had not met in real life to spend the night!!  (Colleen visited a number of boardies on that particular east coast trip.)

Creekland mentioned giving a hand to my son.  Last year he did a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail.  At about the half way point though he came down with what he suspected at the time was Norovirus (although now we think he had a lactose reaction to the half gallon of ice cream he consumed at Pine Grove Furnace General Store, an AT tradition for thru hikers).  Needless to say, The Boy was in desperate straits. He was in the middle of nowhere and in need of bland food which Creekland and her husband provided.  Thanks to their kindness, he was able to get his digestive system back on track and within a couple of days he was back on the trail, doing his remarkable 30+ miles a day. The only time he thought about quitting was when he was down for the count in PA. 

It has always been lovely to know that there are WT Aunties cheering on the WT kids! This is a remarkable community.

• Like 22

I "know" every single poster on this thread so far.  I know names and avatars and some of your stories.  But that doesn't mean that I keep a tally of how many times you post a day or even if you post every day.  I assume that my Tackle thread peeps would notice immediately only because I post that thread daily.  It's kind of hard to miss that I didn't post Friday's thread if you are looking for it to post in.  Similarly, people would notice if Robin didn't post her monthly book thread - because there is a precedent set there.  But do I notice that someone didn't post today?  Not really.  I mean, there are so many reasons why someone might not post - they have nothing to say on these particular topics, they have the flu, they have out-of-town guests, they are swamped with work/school/life. . .   When someone posts again after being gone for a month, I immediately recognize them and remember "who they are" but I might not have noticed exactly how long they were gone. 

I was thinking much like you are on this..........

"It has always been lovely to know that there are WT Aunties cheering on the WT kids! This is a remarkable community."

The reverse is true, too. When people reach out for help, and there is either a virtual or real life betrayal, it is pretty awful.

• Like 6

About changing names. I changed my name. I've been on these boards since the old old boards that had to turn over. I was using my actual name and decided changing would make searching any extra info a tiny bit harder.

I changed my name two years ago I think. I don't know if anyone noticed. I suspect not.

Can anyone guess how I came up with my knew name?