Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

S/o people who aren't here anymore

I did stop coming for a while once and no one noticed. I do not fall into the noticeable category here.

I noticed.  (Besides having found useful or interesting information/insight in some of your posts I really like your WTM name :) ). But again, I thought you were busy, doing what needed to be done, or no longer had need of this community.

I suspect a LOT of the people that think they are unnoticeable that post with any regularity at all would be noticed in their absence by at least some.  But how to know?  If no one says anything, as I suspect most wouldn't, that doesn't mean they haven't noticed.  Just that they aren't drawing attention to it.

Why are some mentioned on WTM as in  "Hey, where is so and so?"  Probably because those particular posters that suddenly stopped posting are VERY active on the board daily or almost daily, and probably have avatars or names that stand out and when they suddenly stop posting without warning people get concerned and check in.  Most of us are probably not as prolific so others think we are busy, or have taken some time off or whatever.  They may notice but don't feel right about drawing attention to the absence.

And some of us have very memorable avatars or very distinctive WTM names so the missing avatar or name sticks in our heads and is noticeably missing as well as their "voice".  With some the "voice" is missed but it is harder to remember the name/avatar it was tied to.  I know I have run into that.  A "voice" I really enjoyed hearing from stopped posting but I could not remember their name and they had no distinctive avatar.  Trying to do a search netted nothing and by the time I realized they were no longer posting I could no longer remember specific topics to search from that end.

• Like 6

I don't think anyone would notice if I left until there was another contentious LGBTQ thread. Someone would realize that the overall rage and snark level of the conversation seemed lower, and then it would click. :P

• Like 15

For the record:

Hive, y'all are truly a part of my life! I reference "the board" often *and* I have an Instant Pot, Arrowhead erasers and a brand-new Miracurl (among other things)!

I have a weird lonely "real life" right now and the Hive lets me have human contact. (Y'all are human, right? ;) )

I feel forgettable too, especially irl. I'm sad so many of us struggle with this.

So, fellow boardies, I see you and appreciate you!!!

• Like 14

Do you ever wonder if people would notice if you suddenly quit posting? Like, what if I were tragically killed in an auto accident today. Would anyone notice that I quit coming here?

Follow on question, have you ever wondered if maybe someone who used to post here WAS tragically killed, and no one noticed their absence?

I have a morbid brain. Lol

Yes. And yes.

I have a couple of friends on here who are FB friends, so if I seem to disappear, hopefully Garga or someone will know what happened to me and will tell you all.

• Like 3

I think that many would notice if someone hasn't been around in awhile.  I know that I do.  But I know that people move on in their life.  Many stop homeschooling or as others mentioned, start to hang out on FB and not here.  Many posters are gone right now for Lent.  So just because I notice doesn't mean that I will say something on the board about it.

I did appreciate when one boardie friend died, her  husband saw that we were corresponding by PMs and contacted me privately.  That was MJN, who newer posters would not remember.  She was a beautiful and very brave lady. 

Kathy in MD's husband also notified me when she died so that I could notify the board.  She too was a beautiful woman.

I hadn't met either of these women but was impacted by them greatly.  I did know Kalamanak in real life.  She was smart, warm  and had a wicked sense of humor. 

• Like 13

I don't think anyone would notice if I left until there was another contentious LGBTQ thread. Someone would realize that the overall rage and snark level of the conversation seemed lower, and then it would click. :P

I would totally miss you if you weren't here!

• Like 6

I've wondered that, too. But then I realize there is one person here that would probably attend my funeral (hi Happypamama!) and she'd let everyone know. But without Happypamama, I've wondered the same thing...would anyone notice, and if they did it probably wouldn't be for many months, and then it would be in passing and they'd forget about it as soon as they thought of it.

Every now and then I see someone post something and they have 10,000 posts, yet I've never, ever noticed them before. How is that possible?? And if I don't notice someone whose posted 10,000 times, then probably people don't notice me, either, and wouldn't notice if I was gone.

I hadn't taken it a step further to think that there probably has been someone who posted a lot and then died and none of us ever knew. My dh and kids would never in a million years think to tell my invisible friends (you) about it. I do have a will...maybe I should attach a little note to the will for them to let you guys know.

Well, I'm making a pact with you now, publically. If I find out something has happened yo you, I'm telling it here. And you do the same for me, kay? :D

• Like 1

Okay, HOW can so many of you think people would not notice if you went missing??? I mean, it might not be instantaneous, but, especially as certain topics come up and there is no insight from the poster I associate with that topic (Faith Manor = ATI and weird religious societies; Creekland = travel and rentals; Swellmama = single parenting and working multiple jobs, etc.), I would notice. I would say, "Well, hang on...how can we be discussing a cult in Wyoming that is forcing their daughters to marry old men without Faith Manor offering her wisdom?" And then I would definitely notice.

It is true that some people's avatar or username or signature is very noticeable compared to others. I mean, who has a kitty with an automatic weapon? Who has dancing bacon? And Dot With A Period! That is a very memorable UN!

• Like 14

LOL,

Yep and Yep.  I am a regular, but my posts are not so profound that people seek out my advice. I've been gone a month at a time before and no one noticed, so I figure that I could slip out of the picture pretty easy. I figure there are lots of use here that are the same.  Just cogs on a wheel. LOL

Kinda OT, but ....I also figure we have a few people here with completely made up lives, but who aren't really trolls causing trouble, just wanting to fit in.

I also suspect we have a few celebrities, who are very careful to not out themselves.

Made up lives! How funny. You mean they post just so the rest of us can exercise our brain cells trying to help them through some issue? Well, I would not be entirely surprised. I just always wonder who had that kind of time and energy to fabricate things and then they need to keep track of what they posted or someone will spot inconsistencies.  :lol:

Celebrities...I heard Nancy Pelosi was homeschooling...are you here, Nancy?

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 4

Okay, HOW can so many of you think people would not notice if you went missing??? I mean, it might not be instantaneous, but, especially as certain topics come up and there is no insight from the poster I associate with that topic (Faith Manor = ATI and weird religious societies; Creekland = travel and rentals; Swellmama = single parenting and working multiple jobs, etc.), I would notice. I would say, "Well, hang on...how can we be discussing a cult in Wyoming that is forcing their daughters to marry old men without Faith Manor offering her wisdom?" And then I would definitely notice.

It is true that some people's avatar or username or signature is very noticeable compared to others. I mean, who has a kitty with an automatic weapon? Who has dancing bacon? And Dot With A Period! That is a very memorable UN!

Exactly.  Goodness, since this thread started I've realized there are dozens of posters that I would eventually notice were missing.  I've been cataloging them in my head and there are quite a few!  And many that have been missing for a while that I still miss for various reasons but never stated so publicly.  

• Like 4

I am always kind of amused when these threads come up. There are many individuals I would miss because they have specific expert advice, or a lovely "voice" and teach me how to speak more kindly, or I can count on them to give me the (much needed) exact opposite perspective on an issue, those who "get" me based on similar stages of life & circumstance, and those who just plain make me laugh... but I never see my own board name make the lists.

If the hive totally collapsed and you ALL disappeared? Well, that would literally give me the real hives.

• Like 6

Well, to be transparent, I did disappear once for quite a while back in 2010 or so (miscarriage, ds's ID/MR diagnosis, both parents-in-law unexpectedly passing away - rough year), and I don't think anyone particularly noticed. Not that I'm bitter about it. I'm a realist and know that is hard to keep up with everyone and their stories.

Edited by Kinsa
  • Like 1

For the record:

Hive, y'all are truly a part of my life! I reference "the board" often *and* I have an Instant Pot, Arrowhead erasers and a brand-new Miracurl (among other things)!

I have a weird lonely "real life" right now and the Hive lets me have human contact. (Y'all are human, right? ;) )

I feel forgettable too, especially irl. I'm sad so many of us struggle with this.

You got a Miracurl!!?! Yay! We are curl twins! :) How do you like it?

And PS- you have what I think it the happiest Avatar here. I would miss you.

Edited by texasmom33
  • Like 1

FTR, I wonder all the time about people I don't see posting a lot, even if they're people who I think don't like me. LOL    I just assume that life got in the way, or they found another online community they liked better, or....?  But yes, I do wonder about tragic accidents and such.

My kids would not think to post, but they know about you all.  They particularly love Sparkly's dancing bacon avatar.

I don't know if I'd be noticed or not, until a thread on something related to Islam came up.   Even if I wasn't missed, I'd miss you guys.

• Like 6

I don't think anyone would notice if I left until there was another contentious LGBTQ thread. Someone would realize that the overall rage and snark level of the conversation seemed lower, and then it would click. :p

You're another person who I definitely take note of.   I think I notice people with distinctive avatars--I notice the ones that are of photos.  (Mine is my actual silhouette, but it's not the same as a regular picture of myself.)   Or maybe like you said--if they're part of contentious threads, I will notice them more if they've very vocal about an issue.

For the record:

I'm in the same boat.  I have changed over the past few years.  I don't know if I would have changed regardless, but I'm about 80% sure that I changed because of these boards.  Seeing all the different points of view opened my eyes to things I never knew they needed opening to.  

And when that happened, I stopped feeling that I had as much common ground with my set of friends.  And slowly, I found new friends who matched me better.  I'm sort of in an in-between place where the friends I had for 14 years have cooled and the new friendships are still new and not as deep (yet) as the older friendships were.

When I call you guys my "invisible friends" I mostly mean it.  I think my family thinks it's just a cute name, but I do consider you guys to be "friends" though I know it's not meant in the traditional sense.  I rely on the hivemind for sooooo many things.  I spend about 95% of my time at home with my family and see almost no one IRL anymore.  It's ok, my introverted self is happy enough with it.

I notice when some longtime posters are gone.   :)  I assume they're busy or got outside jobs or just moved on - not usually something drastic happened to them.

I change my name every 30-60 days, so, no, I doubt anyone would notice even though I've been around for a long time.  Unless they can do that IP (?) thingy?  No idea.

And, fwiw, I've always changed my board name because I'm pretty sure my dh (yes, that's YOU I'm talking about, Dear   :glare: ) looks up my posts on here sometimes.  Nothing to do with anyone on WTM boards. 

And I doubt my dc or my dh would even think to post here, should anything happen to me.

I didn't know it was allowed to change your name on the boards a bunch of times.  That's interesting!

Yes. And yes.

I have a couple of friends on here who are FB friends, so if I seem to disappear, hopefully Garga or someone will know what happened to me and will tell you all.

Yes, I'll tell everyone if something happens to you.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 6

Well, I'm making a pact with you now, publically. If I find out something has happened yo you, I'm telling it here. And you do the same for me, kay? :D

You were writing that while I was posting my post above!  Yes, it's a deal.  :)  

• Like 1

I'm very visual, so sometimes when someone changes their avatar I think they've actually gone missing entirely (and sometimes I get nervous that I'm going to say, "hey where is so-and-so?" and it will turn out they've been posting right beside me, just with a new avatar and I didn't realize.)

• Like 1

I "know" every single poster on this thread so far.  I know names and avatars and some of your stories.  But that doesn't mean that I keep a tally of how many times you post a day or even if you post every day.  I assume that my Tackle thread peeps would notice immediately only because I post that thread daily.  It's kind of hard to miss that I didn't post Friday's thread if you are looking for it to post in.  Similarly, people would notice if Robin didn't post her monthly book thread - because there is a precedent set there.  But do I notice that someone didn't post today?  Not really.  I mean, there are so many reasons why someone might not post - they have nothing to say on these particular topics, they have the flu, they have out-of-town guests, they are swamped with work/school/life. . .   When someone posts again after being gone for a month, I immediately recognize them and remember "who they are" but I might not have noticed exactly how long they were gone. 

• Like 6

I notice when some longtime posters are gone.   :)  I assume they're busy or got outside jobs or just moved on - not usually something drastic happened to them.

I change my name every 30-60 days, so, no, I doubt anyone would notice even though I've been around for a long time.  Unless they can do that IP (?) thingy?  No idea.

And, fwiw, I've always changed my board name because I'm pretty sure my dh (yes, that's YOU I'm talking about, Dear   :glare: ) looks up my posts on here sometimes.  Nothing to do with anyone on WTM boards. 

And I doubt my dc or my dh would even think to post here, should anything happen to me.

Now I'm wishing I could remember how to do the IP thingy, but it's been too long  :lol: .   My curiosity is driving me crazy now.

• Like 2

You got a Miracurl!!?! Yay! We are curl twins! :) How do you like it?

And PS- you have what I think it the happiest Avatar here. I would miss you.

It's still in the box...just bought it last night and was thinking of you!

• Like 1

It's still in the box...just bought it last night and was thinking of you!

I just bought a Miracurl last night too-- all because of texasmom33's thread!  :laugh:

• Like 2

Yeah, isn't that how some people figured out that there were posters posting at the same time under different names?  Or found trolls or something?  Years ago, one poster told us how to do it, but I've long since forgotten.

And, fwiw, I think it's against board rules to post under several active names (ie. have several accounts?).  But it's fine to change display names, twice in a 60-day period (on these new boards, anyway - not sure about the old boards).  

Yep, that's how JGEMom was outed back in the day.  I was up/involved in the bruhaha (think I must've been up with a kid or something) and had trouble going back to sleep.  That was a rude awakening to the perils of trusting people online.

I think this is the first board iteration where changing your name is ok.  I admit, I was bummed when they took out the section that showed the old name, but I get that some people need to change for whatever reason.  It's a personality flaw that it drives me crazy that I don't know who people used to be.

• Like 6

I noticed, and wondered if you were just too busy to post or had something else going on in your life.

Awwww. Thank you. I wasn't fishing though! I just think that for most people, both irl and online, out of sight often seems to mean out of mind. It's sad bc I'm not like that personally, but there's been plenty of examples of that discussed on these boards and I figure absent posters, including myself, would likely fall into that tendency.

I have had good friends move far away over the years and I still stay in touch with them, sometimes daily, years after they have moved. But even among my friends and family, they say that's unusual bc most people slowly reduce contact until eventually there's no contact beyond *maybe* Christmas cards. While I've never done Christmas cards, I talk to three of them at least weekly and often multiple times a day. I feel awful for them that their actual family has so greatly reduced contact since they moved. But again, apparently out of sight is out of mind more often than it is to me.

I "know" every single poster on this thread so far.  I know names and avatars and some of your stories.  But that doesn't mean that I keep a tally of how many times you post a day or even if you post every day.  I assume that my Tackle thread peeps would notice immediately only because I post that thread daily.  It's kind of hard to miss that I didn't post Friday's thread if you are looking for it to post in.  Similarly, people would notice if Robin didn't post her monthly book thread - because there is a precedent set there.  But do I notice that someone didn't post today?  Not really.  I mean, there are so many reasons why someone might not post - they have nothing to say on these particular topics, they have the flu, they have out-of-town guests, they are swamped with work/school/life. . .   When someone posts again after being gone for a month, I immediately recognize them and remember "who they are" but I might not have noticed exactly how long they were gone.

This. Idk if I'd be missed, I suspect it would take a long time, but I do *know* all the posters here and the "missing" ones previously mentioned and I do miss them and notice when it's been a while since I "heard" from them.

I'm surprised so many have family who would post for them. I don't think anyone has ever posted for me, or emailed or anything. I just asked dh and he says the closest he has ever done is a group text from my phone from the hospital after a delivery. He said he would post to my FB wall maybe eventually (dh is not active on FB or anybmessage boards), but then it occurred to me I have the setting on my account set to require approval before anyone can tag me or post to my timeline. He said he would search my "favorites" on my devices, but... I don't have any. I don't use apps and I don't keep favorites. I just type in the website and go there. And I usually clear my history at least once a day. Dh said he sorta knows places I go online bc of our convos. I used to be very active on CatholicAnswers and though I'm not much anymore, many of the old guard still ask about me and I post about once a yearish to check in when someone asks about me there. I'm on Ravelry, but I don't chat much there. And then there is here. I'm really not online as much as some people might think I am.

So I updated our family info binder to include my websites, user names, and passwords for dh bc I hadn't done so in years. But to be honest, if something major ever happens to me, I'm not sure he would have the presence of mind to do it for many months or ever.

But I do feel internet people are real to me. I've been incredibly blessed by in many ways by knowing people online. I'd miss them terribly.

• Like 4

I disappeared for at least a couple of years and I don't think anyone noticed. I was more "religious" at that time and probably was not interesting enough to be missed, lol. I wasn't expecting to be missed, though. I was more interested in actual home schooling info than personal interaction. Now I don't home school, although if I had grand kids I would love to help home school them, because after 17 years of doing it I got kind of good at it. I miss read alouds and science experiments even though I'm not really great with science. I miss nature walks and journaling and  even math. I totally would love to home school again. Now that I've been through more I don't think home schooling is for everyone, I no longer look down on all public instruction, but I think it's a super option if you can make it work. 

• Like 2

If something tragic happened to me in the next 3 years, ya'll would know about it simply because I have given instructions to dh. He would post under my name that his wife was gone, and she told him to come here and get help to finish up homeschooling and/or for transcript/college help.

If something happened to both me and dh at the same time, then my mom would be posting the same question.  :lol:  I showed her the boards too. 

As far as just disappearing goes, I did a while back for a couple months at a time. I am a little more consistent now than 2 years ago, so I don't know. The only poster here who has ever met me rarely posts.

I just hope that if I am remembered, that it's not for being annoying or dense. :lol: I've certainly misspoke (or mis-typed) in the past, but I think I have always corrected any mistakes or made apologies as needed.  

• Like 4

I'm tempted by the miracurl bc of these boards!!! I have never owned any hair curling equipment and dd16 is gearing up for her first prom and wants her hair curled. I have that crappy kind of curly hair that means I could wake up with wavy hair or clown fro or a mix on any given day, but in the past when I curled it - the curl never lasted more than maybe 30 minutes and took forever to do. Dd16 has very straight hair, but I'm still leery. But calling around to salons to get her hair done by a pro is not exactly cheap. Maybe I should just by the equipment so it can be reused for the same price... ugh.

• Like 1

Do you ever wonder if people would notice if you suddenly quit posting? Like, what if I were tragically killed in an auto accident today. Would anyone notice that I quit coming here?

Follow on question, have you ever wondered if maybe someone who used to post here WAS tragically killed, and no one noticed their absence?

I have a morbid brain. Lol

Well, I know people would notice, since Scrap sent me a private message recently when I didn't post in the Teacher's Lounge for a week or so (I'd been busy and had only posted in the Politics social group). Likewise, there are several posters I would notice if they were to go missing, but there are probably way more others that I wouldn't notice. 

I doubt anyone would notice if I were I missing, but I'm pretty sure my husband knows that he needs to post on my bookmarked sites if something happens. We have that sort of understanding that my online friends who do care would want to know, even if the bulk of people wouldn't care.

I'm pretty sure I'd notice if you stopped posting. But with everyone else it would take awhile before I'd worry because lives get busy.

• Like 3

I think it would be noticed if I went away but not in a "hey, what happened to kewb?" post kind of way.

I also think it would be months before anyone noticed. I don't think I am particularly insightful and my homeschooling journey is almost over.

Edited by kewb

This board is extremely large. Therefore, many of us would not be noticed if we disappeared. There are smaller homeschooling boards with more intimate groups, however, if people are looking to establish more personal relationships.

• Like 3

I've also thought that some of the people here have made up lives because they're so colorful--like you said, not trolls, but wanting to fit in or be special.

And then sometimes I post something a bit unusual about my own life and think, "People probably think I'm making this stuff up."  So then I don't know what to think about the colorful posters.  

When people post stuff like this I tend to wonder if they're talking about me, but it's not like I'm going to do a poll, because that would be crazy.  :lol:

I don't think I've ever suspected someone here to be made up, and I think I've thought it only once or twice on another forum or email list or something, because I know reality can be weirder than fiction.

If something were to happen to me, I think there's a decent chance my wife will post about it here, because she knows I spend waaaaaaaaay too much time on these boards, and also because I know we did birth announcements on the email list we met on, even though neither of us had posted on it in a year at that point, so, there's that. If something were to happen to both of us at the same time though, I don't think anyone would let you know. On the plus side though, I can be quite flaky, so if I were to disappear for a while it'd be more likely that than anything else.

Arctic, you're not at the top of my list of people I think I'd notice are missing, but you did make the list of people I think I might eventually notice, as opposed to the list of people I'd only notice if there were a zombie thread, or the list of people I'd never notice even if there were a zombie thread. 

When people post stuff like this I tend to wonder if they're talking about me, but it's not like I'm going to do a poll, because that would be crazy.  :lol:

I don't think I've ever suspected someone here to be made up, and I think I've thought it only once or twice on another forum or email list or something, because I know reality can be weirder than fiction.

If something were to happen to me, I think there's a decent chance my wife will post about it here, because she knows I spend waaaaaaaaay too much time on these boards, and also because I know we did birth announcements on the email list we met on, even though neither of us had posted on it in a year at that point, so, there's that. If something were to happen to both of us at the same time though, I don't think anyone would let you know. On the plus side though, I can be quite flaky, so if I were to disappear for a while it'd be more likely that than anything else.

Arctic, you're not at the top of my list of people I think I'd notice are missing, but you did make the list of people I think I might eventually notice, as opposed to the list of people I'd only notice if there were a zombie thread, or the list of people I'd never notice even if there were a zombie thread. 

Come to think of it, the two people I had suspected of not being quiiiiite truthful no longer post.  I won't name names, though.  They were on for a couple of years and had some pretty crazy lives and sometimes I just wondered....  

• Like 2

My life has always been pretty crazy. Sometimes I wonder if anyone believes anything I write. Lol

• Like 4

Speaking of celebrities on the boards, I know there is a best-selling author.

I had posted about my daughter and her writing, and this person helped me via PM. She read a sample and gave feedback and ideas.

I then went to our local library and got out one of her books. I loved the book and passed it on to my husband to read too.

I must say I felt quite chuffed that she'd helped me out on here.

But my lips are sealed ... 

• Like 10

Well, I'm still a little concerned about Tranquilmind, who appears to have poofed.

If I drop dead, my family has instructions to let everybody online know. Don't worry. You'll be informed, and told where to send your charity dollars in lieu of flowers.

• Like 14

Well y'all are going to either love me or hate me afterwards. :) I want pics!!

You say that like I could actually figure out how to post photos!

I just got back from exchanging my miracurl. When I opened the first one, it was clear it was a return!

• Like 1

I've also thought that some of the people here have made up lives because they're so colorful--like you said, not trolls, but wanting to fit in or be special.

And then sometimes I post something a bit unusual about my own life and think, "People probably think I'm making this stuff up." So then I don't know what to think about the colorful posters.

I've wondered and worried the same thing some times! The scary thing is... I don't even post the most crazy stuff that happens around me... Some times it feels like the saying "life is stranger than fiction" was coined bc of my life.

• Like 3

I've wondered and worried the same thing some times! The scary thing is... I don't even post the most crazy stuff that happens around me... Some times it feels like the saying "life is stranger than fiction" was coined bc of my life.

And some of us tend to post bits and pieces due to privacy issues, and those pieces of our life seem hard to string together.

• Like 5

My life has always been pretty crazy. Sometimes I wonder if anyone believes anything I write. Lol

Well, you had like 200 people waiting on pins and needles a few months ago, staying up all night to find out if all was well in Kinsa's world!

• Like 16

Most of the people who are real trolls or just have trollish behavior have untreated mental illness, I suspect.  I am not being prejudiced against mental illness and I hope that people can find help from doctors if that is something they struggle with.  Most (if not all) who have well managed mental illness are indistinguishable from anyone else with any of the other problems we might all have. 

• Like 7

I doubt anyone would notice if I were I missing, but I'm pretty sure my husband knows that he needs to post on my bookmarked sites if something happens. We have that sort of understanding that my online friends who do care would want to know, even if the bulk of people wouldn't care.

What?!

You post all the time.  You would absolutely be missed.  And we would all wonder how Ben was doing and if you moved to MN.

Edited by freesia
  • Like 12

When I first read this, I thought, "Hey! She doesn't even know me! Why does she think I'm crazy?" But then I realized you were talking about your own life. 😂😂

Edited by MyLife
  • Like 7

And some of us tend to post bits and pieces due to privacy issues, and those pieces of our life seem hard to string together.

This becomes more true every year for me as my kids get older. It's one thing to share frustrations over learning the multiplication table and quite another to share ... anything... about teens and older. Given that most of my life is centered around these people, that starts to become very limited in what I share about my family.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 10

I went MIA over the summer, and then changed my user name and took down my avi.

I have no idea if I was missed. I have only posted a few times since.

I escaped an abusive marriage, and things are settled down now. So I feel safe® posting again, even if people figure out who I am...and I put a link in my siggie, so I am not hiding. I refuse to be isolated anymore, even from imaginary friends. 😉

I know there is high possibility of being followed here, so I just have to keep that in mind.

I do a lot of PMing.

• Like 11

I went MIA over the summer, and then changed my user name and took down my avi.

I have no idea if I was missed. I have only posted a few times since.

I escaped an abusive marriage, and things are settled down now. So I feel safe® posting again, even if people figure out who I am...and I put a link in my siggie, so I am not hiding. I refuse to be isolated anymore, even from imaginary friends. 😉

I know there is high possibility of being followed here, so I just have to keep that in mind.

I do a lot of PMing.

I'm sorry. :(

I do sometimes think I have too much exposure here, with my face and a long posting history. It would be easy to identify me IRL by anyone who sees me here.

• Like 2

This is why I'm connected to a few fave WTMers on FB. So if they (or I) disappear from here, I (or they) will know why. And, heaven forbid, if they are seriously ill or dead (or I am).

But really, no, I don't think about it much. I don't imagine there would be general intrigue and detective work to find out what happened to someone on a forum. Not me, for sure. Not most of us :)

And I just assume people get busy, or find other priorities, when someone leaves a forum. Unless they've been sick for a long time. Forums have a shifting population. I do remember some people I really liked (Wendy from SH! where are you ?) and wish I knew what they were up to, but other than that, I assume people will come and go over time. 

• Like 2