Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

S/o people who aren't here anymore

Do you ever wonder if people would notice if you suddenly quit posting? Like, what if I were tragically killed in an auto accident today. Would anyone notice that I quit coming here?

Follow on question, have you ever wondered if maybe someone who used to post here WAS tragically killed, and no one noticed their absence?

I have a morbid brain. Lol

• Like 7

Do you ever wonder if people would notice if you suddenly quit posting? Like, what if I were tragically killed in an auto accident today. Would anyone notice that I quit coming here?

Follow on question, have you ever wondered if maybe someone who used to post here WAS tragically killed, and no one noticed their absence?

I think about it quite a bit.

• Like 3

Hmm, I imagine the posters who I have met in person twice would notice eventually if I stopped posting. Other than that I'm not sure. Maybe a few.

I would notice if you stopped posting. I may not remember your username because I don't remember names well but one day I would think, " what happened to the person with the flag avatar that lived in the middle of no where."

• Like 9

We would notice. We'd send a welfare check from the Sheriff's office and tell them you live in BB near the rattle snakes and the wasp's nest no one can kill. :) So now you've been forewarned if you disappear. 

• Like 31

I have wondered. Many times I'll see an old zombie thread that pops up, and find people in there that I haven't seen in a while. I do wonder if they are okay, and miss their posts.

I think people leave for many reasons. It is sad though.

• Like 7

LOL,

Yep and Yep.  I am a regular, but my posts are not so profound that people seek out my advice. I've been gone a month at a time before and no one noticed, so I figure that I could slip out of the picture pretty easy. I figure there are lots of use here that are the same.  Just cogs on a wheel. LOL

Kinda OT, but ....I also figure we have a few people here with completely made up lives, but who aren't really trolls causing trouble, just wanting to fit in.

I also suspect we have a few celebrities, who are very careful to not out themselves.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 17

I always figure I wouldn't be noticed.  But, I feel the same way IRL.  I tend to feel like I"m not noticeable to others.  The times when it becomes clear I'm wrong (rarely), I'm always surprised.   I tend to always feel like I'm on the periphery of a group, not really part of it no matter how involved I am.  I think there's a name for that (besides introvert, imposter syndrome, etc.).

• Like 16

LOL,

Yep and Yep. I am a regular, but my posts are not so profound that people seek out my advice. I've been gone a month at a time before and no one noticed, so I figure that I could slip out of the picture pretty easy. I figure there are lots of use here that are the same. Just cogs on a wheel. LOL

Kinda OT, but ....I also figure we have a few people here with completely made up lives, but who aren't really trolls causing trouble, just wanting to fit in.

I also suspect we have a few celebrities, who are very careful to not out themselves.

We do have one celebrity who was seen eating poutine in Canada while reading the boards.

• Like 12

I've wondered that, too.  But then I realize there is one person here that would probably attend my funeral (hi Happypamama!) and she'd let everyone know.  But without Happypamama, I've wondered the same thing...would anyone notice, and if they did it probably wouldn't be for many months, and then it would be in passing and they'd forget about it as soon as they thought of it.

Every now and then I see someone post something and they have 10,000 posts, yet I've never, ever noticed them before.  How is that possible??  And if I don't notice someone whose posted 10,000 times, then probably people don't notice me, either, and wouldn't notice if I was gone.

I hadn't taken it a step further to think that there probably has been someone who posted a lot and then died and none of us ever knew.  My dh and kids would never in a million years think to tell my invisible friends (you) about it.  I do have a will...maybe I should attach a little note to the will for them to let you guys know.

• Like 6

I have wondered. Many times I'll see an old zombie thread that pops up, and find people in there that I haven't seen in a while. I do wonder if they are okay, and miss their posts.

Yes!  I've done this, too, on zombie threads.  I surprise myself because I think, "Oh, I haven't seen so-and-so post in a long time...and never even realized I hadn't seen them."  Then I feel bad for not missing them.  And I do wonder where they went.

I assume they stopped homeschooling for some reason and got jobs and don't have time for the boards anymore.

• Like 5

Hmmmm. I think Creekland and Jane in NC might notice if I were gone. But I am not one of the posters like Kalamanak who have been really helpful, really influential on others so not likely to otherwise be remembered. That's okay. I am cool with that.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 5

LOL,

Yep and Yep.  I am a regular, but my posts are not so profound that people seek out my advice. I've been gone a month at a time before and no one noticed, so I figure that I could slip out of the picture pretty easy. I figure there are lots of use here that are the same.  Just cogs on a wheel. LOL

I've also thought that some of the people here have made up lives because they're so colorful--like you said, not trolls, but wanting to fit in or be special.

And then sometimes I post something a bit unusual about my own life and think, "People probably think I'm making this stuff up."  So then I don't know what to think about the colorful posters.  

• Like 7

I wonder that often.  Pretty sure no one would notice.  And my husband wouldn't think to post and tell people where I went either.

Edited by DawnM

There are some people I tend to notice if they aren't around for a bit. I think I'd wonder but I don't expect people to notice.

I find some people's names more memorable than others and sometimes it's nothing to do with how much they post.

I have wondered that about some I don't see any longer, but I also know that some change their "names" and wonder how that all fits in the picture.

I don't worry about what will happen if I didn't make it.  My homeschooling days are long past, so I'm not quite as helpful in that realm any longer.  I'm not really sure I'd be missed on the chat board by the masses.

Hmmmm. I think Creekland and Jane in NC might notice if I were gone. But I am not one of the posters like Kalamanak who have been really helpful, really influential on others so not likely to otherwise be remembered. That's okay. I am cool with that.

Ditto.  I think those of us who were in the "same generation" (with our kids) are more likely to notice each other - or those I've met IRL, of course (like hjffkj & Garga just to name two on here who have already posted - there are roughly 10 others), but everyone else?  Probably not.  And I'm ok with that too.

• Like 3

Do you ever wonder if people would notice if you suddenly quit posting?

I know for a fact they wouldn't, as I was gone for more than a year. ETA: I don't mean that in a snarky way. It's just a statement of fact.

Edited by Word Nerd

I've also thought that some of the people here have made up lives because they're so colorful--like you said, not trolls, but wanting to fit in or be special.

And then sometimes I post something a bit unusual about my own life and think, "People probably think I'm making this stuff up."  So then I don't know what to think about the colorful posters.  

Eh, I've got doctors who are sure I'm making stuff up.  If I can fool them, I'm pretty sure folks on the Hive think the same.  I probably would too if I were reading.  Real life can definitely be unusual.  :lol:

I'll vouch that you're real though!   :coolgleamA:

And I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the majority of posters because of what I've seen IRL and know can happen (not just with me, but with others too) - that one with oodles of kids and all sorts of issues from a few years back being an exception (if folks are old enough to remember her - I've forgotten her screen name)!

• Like 4

I know people wouldn't notice if I disappeared. My gift in life is being invisible, so I could fall off the face of the earth, and I'm pretty sure only the people that live in my house would notice! :)

• Like 1

I wonder what it says about my personality that the first people I notice not posting are the ones I can find annoying at times.........but I definitely notice when some people disappear, especially if I like reading their posts a lot. But then I hesitate to PM and say, hey! Are you okay? Because that feels kind of stalkerish. There are a couple of posters I could do that with no hesitation but not most. 

Edited by texasmom33
  • Like 5

I'm fairly certain I can disappear. I have a high post count but I don't feel I really contribute anything. And now I no longer have young children, and I no longer homeschool, I almost feel like I don't fit in anymore. This board doesn't require those things though so it's still working out.

• Like 1

I know people wouldn't notice if I disappeared. My gift in life is being invisible, so I could fall off the face of the earth, and I'm pretty sure only the people that live in my house would notice! :)

If the Cardinals got their act together and played deep into October, and you weren't around to celebrate, I would notice!

(Also, apparently I've been lying about my kids' ages... two years on mobile and not realizing my signature hasn't been updated will do that.)

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 1

Yup. And I have gone long periods without posting without anyone noticing. They notice whwn my avatar returns but not the absence between. It's all good. At least they do 't complain when i return...i hope. I am fine with not being one of the smart ones, or memorable ones etc. Just don't wanted to be one of the hated ones.

• Like 4

Another who is certain she could disappear. It is what it is. The sheer volume on this board accounts for a lot of it, I think. Even if you happen to be a well liked/popular poster, it's easy to get lost in the shuffle.

• Like 3

I lurk more than i post, so I doubt many would notice if I left. I don't notice when others leave until there's a post about a particular topic and a voice I expect doesn't show up. If there was a new post about weight watchers I'd be thinking "now where is that gal who was successful with ww and can still eat pie?" A new post about a prescription and I'd be thinking "hey, where's the pharmacy tech?" A post about unknown medical issues and I'd think "where's that nice lady with the issues that nobody has figured out?" And Kinsa, even my 9 y/o would notice your absence. If we have a long drive ahead, he asks "Is it farther than that lady has to drive to get to Target?" :D

• Like 8

Yup. And I have gone long periods without posting without anyone noticing. They notice whwn my avatar returns but not the absence between. It's all good. At least they do 't complain when i return...i hope. I am fine with not being one of the smart ones, or memorable ones etc. Just don't wanted to be one of the hated ones.

See, for those of you who have taken a hiatus and say no one noticed, how do you know?  Just because they didn't say anything in a specific post on WTM regarding your absence doesn't mean no one noticed.  I bet some did.  For instance, swellmomma, I DID notice you were gone.   :crying:

But I had no way to contact you directly and I figured you were doing whatever it was you needed to do.  I hoped you were o.k. and that some day you would check in again.  I was very happy to see you return.  And I definitely noticed your absence.  I just didn't post a big WHERE ARE YOU SWELLMOMMA? because it felt awkward and intrusive to do so.  You had a lot on your plate.  I didn't want to be a bother.

I do assume with the larger crowd my absence would not be noticed, but I suspect there are a few that I have exchanged ideas with over the years that might wonder where I disappeared to, especially on the Learning Challenges board.  I know there are posters there that I have come to deeply care about as we moved through our journeys with our kids.  I would notice if they were no longer posting.  I don't know what I would do about it, though.  No way to directly contact them.  

I am a member of several smaller private chat groups that were created for various reasons and I post with relatively often (enough that I think we have gotten to know each other relatively well).  They would probably notice my absence and a couple of groups would question my being missing after just a few days, as I would question their absence too.  Several WTM members have ways to contact me directly and I them, though, so we could probably find out what was happening and spread the word to others we know might be concerned.  

And KINSA, I think your absence would be noticed.   :)

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 15

I wonder that too. I don't think it's been much noticed when I've had to be gone for a stretch. And I guess it isn't the idea of being forgotten that would bother me so much as .... if my existance is so irrelevant, then why do I come here at all? Is it wasting my life to bother? I feel this way about the Internet and other things often. I've been in many things (Internet and irl for 10-20+ years and I'm pretty sure no one knows who I am or notice if I drop off the earth unless I'm with my kids and then I'm "lady with all the kids" or "mom of ___". Apparently I make memorable kids bc they always know each of my kids.

So. Yep. I have a morbid streak too. I don't let it control me though.🙂

• Like 1

Yes, I wonder...

I stopped posting for a long while after the loss of my sister.  I didn't announce the loss, just stopped my normal routines.   

My posts aren't though provoking or inspiring, so I doubt that it would be noticed.  I'm just not that type of person :closedeyes:

I do however, value the advice and friendship extended on these boards.  

• Like 1

The funny thing is that almost everyone of you who have said no one would notice if you disappear--I actually would notice if you disappeared.  I think most of the high posters are more visable than they think. LOL  Even if you don't feel you add anything profound, folks get to know your story and your kids and some of your ups and downs and wonder how things are going for you.

Oh, and Kinsa, after all your BB stories--I don't think ANYONE could not notice you were gone. 

• Like 6

The people I have met in real life would probably notice. Jane, for sure. And I am quite sure one of my children would think to post something here if something happened to me because the fact that I belong to a hive has intrigued them, as adults. We've talked about how nearly instant access to the hive mind's problem solving abilities and knowledge base are something that I have and they don't.

Nan

• Like 9

I have thought about this also. Pretty sure no one would notice if I stopped posting. There are many of you that I think I would notice if you disappeared.

We have an unusual nitch going here.

Yes, I've wondered. I would hope at least one or two of the book a week gals would notice if I disappeared. 

I occasionally see a poster who's no longer here and wonder. There are some who I know left so while I wonder how they're doing I figure they're fine. Others just stopped posting, or at least it appears that way to me. 

When I saw your post I though, "Yes we supposedly do have some".

We do have one celebrity who was seen eating poutine in Canada while reading the boards.

Then I saw this post. I forgot about that!  :lol: That was an epic thread with people trying to figure out who it was. IIRC, Mayim Bialik was in the lead among the guesses. 

• Like 1

I wonder that too. I don't think it's been much noticed when I've had to be gone for a stretch. And I guess it isn't the idea of being forgotten that would bother me so much as .... if my existance is so irrelevant, then why do I come here at all? Is it wasting my life to bother? I feel this way about the Internet and other things often. I've been in many things (Internet and irl for 10-20+ years and I'm pretty sure no one knows who I am or notice if I drop off the earth unless I'm with my kids and then I'm "lady with all the kids" or "mom of ___". Apparently I make memorable kids bc they always know each of my kids.

So. Yep. I have a morbid streak too. I don't let it control me though.🙂

I noticed, and wondered if you were just too busy to post or had something else going on in your life.

My kids would notify those boardies that I text with daily. It's up to those boardies whether they let others know here. I know that people would wonder where my tackle threads went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

And I am quite sure one of my children would think to post something here if something happened to me because the fact that I belong to a hive has intrigued them, as adults. We've talked about how nearly instant access to the hive mind's problem solving abilities and knowledge base are something that I have and they don't.

This! My oldest is almost 12, but she has definitely noticed the Hive's amazing powers! Dh jokes about it, but wouldn't think to post.

Edited by ScoutTN

I would notice because of your tales about living out in nowhere Texas.  Big Bend is somewhere I would like to visit one day.

I think about it quite a bit.

Scarlett, we tend to be like minded in a lot of ways and I would definitely miss you.

FaithManor, I remember reading your posts about your home and thinking you were such a great creative writer.

There are many more that have posted that I would wonder about but mostly because of seeing you around a lot.

• Like 2

I notice when you're gone! The avatar is unique and I notice when you're not posting and I don't see the avatar. ETA: And I also know a bit about you beyond your avatar because you've talked about the challenges with one of your kids a bit and I wonder how he's doing.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

I am quite sure one of my children would think to post something here if something happened to me because the fact that I belong to a hive has intrigued them, as adults. We've talked about how nearly instant access to the hive mind's problem solving abilities and knowledge base are something that I have and they don't.

Nan

I'm pretty sure hubby would figure out how to post for the same reason.  There are times he's suggested asking the Hive for answers (and I have).  We both respect the depth of the Hive's experience and are glad we can use it at times.  I don't know if my kids would think to notify anyone however.  They also know I'm on the homeschool board - esp since I ask them questions for some of my college answers and because middle son joined our group for one of our local get-togethers - but I don't think it would occur to them to post any sort of update.

I don't recollect most people ahead of time (because there are so, so many!), but when I see their posts, then as long as they've been posting long enough, I generally remember them then because they're become familiar to me.  Even if they think they don't offer any special insight, I still get to know a little about them just like I would anyone I spend time with.  And I have often come to appreciate their points of view or uniqueness over time.  So I might not notice if people aren't on the boards for awhile, but when I suddenly see a post of theirs, they are often quite familiar!  (And then it might occur to me that I haven't seen them posting in awhile.)

There are some I've gotten to know a bit or recognize a little more, so that after awhile, I'd notice that they were gone.  But I guess I don't assume the worst!  I would assume they have moved on in life.

I tend to write sporadically, and am often off the boards for weeks at a time.  And, I generally stay away from controversy.  So even though I have a fairly high post count, I still don't consider myself a regular!

• Like 3

I'm fairly certain I can disappear. I have a high post count but I don't feel I really contribute anything. And now I no longer have young children, and I no longer homeschool, I almost feel like I don't fit in anymore. This board doesn't require those things though so it's still working out.

I would notice if you left!

• Like 3

I do assume with the larger crowd my absence would not be noticed, but I suspect there are a few that I have exchanged ideas with over the years that might wonder where I disappeared to, especially on the Learning Challenges board.

Yeah, I think regular LC posters would notice each others' absences, including several of the folks who have posted here claiming nobody would notice.

• Like 3

And now I no longer have young children, and I no longer homeschool, I almost feel like I don't fit in anymore. This board doesn't require those things though so it's still working out.

You've joined the same club I'm in - homeschool retirees.  ;)

I completely understand about "almost feeling like I don't fit in anymore," and "it's still working out."  

I don't recollect most people ahead of time (because there are so, so many!), but when I see their posts, then as long as they've been posting long enough, I generally remember them then because they're become familiar to me.  Even if they think they don't offer any special insight, I still get to know a little about them just like I would anyone I spend time with.  And I have often come to appreciate their points of view or uniqueness over time.  So I might not notice if people aren't on the boards for awhile, but when I suddenly see a post of theirs, they are often quite familiar!  (And then it might occur to me that I haven't seen them posting in awhile.)

There are some I've gotten to know a bit or recognize a little more, so that after awhile, I'd notice that they were gone.  But I guess I don't assume the worst!  I would assume they have moved on in life.

I tend to write sporadically, and am often off the boards for weeks at a time.  And, I generally stay away from controversy.  So even though I have a fairly high post count, I still don't consider myself a regular!

I consider you a regular!  There are many threads I never end up reading.  How many I can read and stay up with 100% depends upon the time I have available and how long the thread already is before I see it.  I know I miss many that several know well.

• Like 4

See, for those of you who have taken a hiatus and say no one noticed, how do you know? Just because they didn't say anything in a specific post on WTM regarding your absence doesn't mean no one noticed. I bet some did. For instance, swellmomma, I DID notice you were gone. :crying: :)

Thank you, you just brightened my day. :)

• Like 5

I notice when you're gone! The avatar is unique and I notice when you're not posting and I don't see the avatar. ETA: And I also know a bit about you beyond your avatar because you've talked about the challenges with one of your kids a bit and I wonder how he's doing.

Ahh thank you. As for ds it is still a merry go round with him. The joys of mental illness. But more up than down lately which is good.

• Like 6

If there was a new post about weight watchers I'd be thinking "now where is that gal who was successful with ww and can still eat pie?"

Yay! I'd be remembered! :lol:  Only these days it's pineapple upside down cake. I've absolutely got to have my cake/pie every night. And I'm happy to talk about it.

• Like 4

Yup. And I have gone long periods without posting without anyone noticing.

I noticed. But I also knew you were on facebook so I didn't worry that you met with a horrible accident and none of us knew. :) 

And speaking of facebook I know a number of former boardies who stopped coming here but post on fb (there was a flurry of fb friending a few years ago), so I don't worry about them either. I miss their posts here but I know they're okay.

I doubt anyone would notice if I were I missing, but I'm pretty sure my husband knows that he needs to post on my bookmarked sites if something happens. We have that sort of understanding that my online friends who do care would want to know, even if the bulk of people wouldn't care.

• Like 1