Menu

Writing & Rhetoric

Mom27kidz

I did the Fable book with my 4th grader the first year he started homeschooling. We didn't continue with the series the next year because he didn't like it. Turns out he just doesn't like writing; he didn't like anything else we tried either (hello IEW, Hake, Writers in Residence, etc, etc.) We went back to Writing and Rhetoric this year with my son now a 6th grader; I talked to CAP and they suggested placing him in Narrative 2. It's going well. 

I placed my now-4th grader in Fable. The program is easy prep, so it's not really necessary to do as a group unless you really want to. My boys are not really on the same level writing-wise, so I felt it best to separate them. 

Edited by insertcreativenamehere

We just started homeschooling in Jan. coming out of a classical private school. I started my 5th grader in book 4: Chreia & Proverb and my 7th grader in book 7: Encomium & Vituperation. This has worked out well for us. I think you could do one book all together if you wanted, but I agree it isn't really necessary. 

I would say I spend 5-15 min per kid and they each spend about 30-45 min working on the writing. 

If I were putting a 5th and 7th grader together, I would put them in either books 3, 4, or 5.

One of the benefits of putting you kids in the same book is that there is a discussion section in each lesson. If you put your kids together, you could do the discussion as a group, instead of just one on one. There's a public speaking section at the end that they could do together, too. I tend to skip the speaking section because I have just one kid in W&R.

My son spends 20-25 minutes a day on W&R. The first day he does his reading and narrates to me. The second day he does the questions on the reading and I choose a couple of discussion questions for us to talk about. The third day he does the shorter writing time exercises. The fourth day he starts the longer writing exercise and we sometimes take a fifth day to finish it. Once a month he chooses on of his longer assignments to revise and type.