Menu

News: Ohio Boy, 8, drives to McDonald's for a cheeseburger

Arcadia

This was published today in my home country's newspaper and many other news channels.

"The Ohio boy said he learned to drive by watching YouTube videos, the Weirton Daily Times reported on Sunday evening's adventure.

The child, at the wheel with his four-year-old sister riding shotgun, drove for about a mile and a half, stopping at red lights and letting traffic pass before he executed a left turn into the McDonald's in the town of East Palestine in eastern Ohio, the paper said."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/boy-8-drives-to-mcdonald-s-for-a-cheeseburger/3674530.html?cid=fbcna

ETA:

Cleveland news link http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/04/ohio_boy_8_craving_mcdonalds_b.html

SFgate link http://m.sfgate.com/aboutsfgate/article/Boy-8-drives-sister-4-to-McDonald-s-for-a-11068868.php

Edited by Arcadia in CA
  • Like 4

My take home from this is that I'm clearly not using YouTube enough for educational benefits. Maybe it could finally teach me how to parallel park?

That's how my daughter learned. Her dad was too busy and I can't do it especially since I now drive a 15 passenger van and I am not parallel parking that!

• Like 2

My teenager DD tagged me in this article on FB. She tagged me, then mentioned her younger brothers. Sadly (in a horrifying kind of way), she's absolutely right. I can more than imagine DS4 talking DS7 into doing this. DS4 would be the instigator, but he can talk DS7 into almost anything. But my boys are tiny, so... hopefully... nah.

Edited by AimeeM

Definitely feeling happy my 9.75yo is 4'2" and our car is manual - there's no way he'll be taking off in it anytime soon. 

Well... don't count that out quite yet.  My brother drove my dad's huge Studebaker (a manual on the fly) for several blocks, including stops and turns along the way.  Obviously, he had no youtube videos for it as it was the late 70's, so had only figured it all out from watching our parents drive.  He was 8 or 9 years old at the time.  He was driving fast enough that my dad, running after him, only caught up to him because there was a long red light before the highway. 

Little did my parents know at the time that this was only the beginning of the mischief he had in store for them.

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 3

Kids like this are a never-ending adventure. This will go down in their family lore for generations.

My son would have done something like this. Totally.

Similarly but not nearly as dangerously, my son was scheduled to go to a ski day with a group. Everyone was required to take a one-hour class prior to the day's skiing. Since ds had been skiing before, I just assumed he would take a higher level skiing class. Nah--that's for sissies.  :001_tt2:  Instead, he decided snowboarding was the way to go, and he also decided he was not going to deal with those crowded beginner classes. He watched a bunch of Youtube videos instead. The next day he shamelessly claimed to be NOT a beginner and finessed his way into an advanced class. And then was able to fool the instructor by just being awesome on the snowboard. He revealed the truth at the end. 

• Like 1

My husband once tried to go through a drive-thru on foot.  The inside of whatever fast food place was closed.  They were told they were not allowed to serve people on foot.  You had to be in a car or on a horse (it was southern Maryland in Amish territory... horse was a definite possibility).

My daughter texted me that story and said that would totally be her little 8yo brother.  Yes.  Yes, it would.  And, yes.  He's a handful.

• Like 2

Walk to the drive-thru?  Who does that?  :p

One of my kid's favorite memories is walking through the drive through to the DQ by where we used to live. If we took the dog on a hot day they would let us walk through even though it is company policy not to let people walk through the drive through, lol. They didn't want the dog outside in the heat. It was a fun thing we used to do.

• Like 1

One of my kid's favorite memories is walking through the drive through to the DQ by where we used to live. If we took the dog on a hot day they would let us walk through even though it is company policy not to let people walk through the drive through, lol. They didn't want the dog outside in the heat. It was a fun thing we used to do.

I'm from the days when everybody walked up to the DQ window, LOL.  :)

• Like 4

I'm from the days when everybody walked up to the DQ window, LOL.  :)

This so reminds me of ds1. When he was 3yo he tried to drive the car. It wasn't just a matter of sitting in the seat pretending to drive. He'd already tried before so we would lock the car after we parked it in the garage and then leave the keys on the fridge. One day when I went to the bathroom--I was gone a minute, two at the most. He'd gotten the keys off the top of the fridge, unlocked the car, put the keys in the ignition and was happily turning the key and bouncing in the seat pretending to drive. When I came out of the bathroom I heard the ding-dinging that cars make when you have the door open while the key is in the ignition. That's how I knew what was happening. I'm pretty sure if we hadn't had a manual he would have started it and tried to drive. Thankfully he didn't know back then that the clutch had to be pushed in to start the car. Amazingly he's made it to 22yo without any major injuries or mishaps.

• Like 1

Well... don't count that out quite yet.  My brother drove my dad's huge Studebaker (a manual on the fly) for several blocks, including stops and turns along the way.  Obviously, he had no youtube videos for it as it was the late 70's, so had only figured it all out from watching our parents drive.  He was 8 or 9 years old at the time.  

From what I remember, my mom is just barely comfortable at 5'1", so, really doubt my kid could make it work. Most 8yos are taller than my 9.75yo. 

My husband once tried to go through a drive-thru on foot.  The inside of whatever fast food place was closed.  They were told they were not allowed to serve people on foot.  You had to be in a car or on a horse (it was southern Maryland in Amish territory... horse was a definite possibility).

It was only 8pm according to the story, so, odds are he could've just walked inside the McDonald's, and yes, I've been told that technically they couldn't serve me at the drive-thru window of some fast food place when I walked up to it when the store was closed, but after pointing to the big rig I'd parked nearby and telling them they didn't want me to drive through it they served me anyway. I've also been served when on bicycle and foot after having been told that technically they couldn't. 

One of my brothers somehow drove my parents' car away when he was 3yo, but he didn't get very far.  :P  I seem to recall hearing of a 4yo who managed a freeway drive.

I have to admit that I'm kinda glad my kids are not super adventurous.  I am too old for that.  :P

• Like 2

My DH drove his parent's car into a lake when he was 2. He and his older brother were sent out to get in the car before the family left to go somewhere. The car had been turned on but my IL's were right behind them. They turned around to get something they had forgotten and came out to find the car gone. My DH had climbed in the front instead of the back, put the car in gear, and drove down the road where he ended up in the lake. I think it was about 1/4 mile away. Fortunately the car stopped just before it reached a steep drop off. My FIL went running down the road but my MIL walked because she needed time to brace herself to find her dead children. When my FIL got to the lake he found both boys standing on shore and the car submerged to the top of the tires. They have no idea how they got out. They are just grateful my DH lived to adulthood. He was forever finding ways to make every day things dangerous. He hasn't outgrown that...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...