Menu

In the news..... Jaywalking is a thing? And it's illegal?

clementine

When I was little I think I remember hearing the term 'jaywalking' - we would do it because it was something that could make us feel rebellious, but we weren't really.

Now, with the case in the news of the guy getting beat up & arrested for doing it....I know there is more to it, but the confrontation started with jaywalking.

Did you know that it was really a thing to be arrested for?

There was a time it wasn't illegal? My whole life crossing against the signals or entering the roadway where there is no pedestrian crossing has been ticketable.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I knew it was illegal; I would think that whether it is an arrestable offense depends on the situation.  Personally, driving through a downtown area with clearly marked and regulated crosswalks, jaywalkers make me nervous and angry.  They just dart out!  It makes traffic massively slower and while I have not hit anyone as yet, I am constantly nervous that someone will dart out at just the wrong second and I will not brake in time.

• Like 5

I grew up in the south and learned that. To this day, I walk the extra distance to get to a crosswalk, and I don't even know if jaywalking is a thing in my city. But the police station is right there in downtown, super small downtown, so I don't take chances.

• Like 2

I knew it was illegal; I would think that whether it is an arrestable offense depends on the situation. Personally, driving through a downtown area with clearly marked and regulated crosswalks, jaywalkers make me nervous and angry. They just dart out! It makes traffic massively slower and while I have not hit anyone as yet, I am constantly nervous that someone will dart out at just the wrong second and I will not brake in time.

I was walking over the sky bridge from the parking garage to our JC Penney and saw a man come out from between two parked cars and amble into the roadway and get hit. He was killed and I felt terrible for the driver. There was no way to stop in time and the crosswalk was fifteen feet away :(

Yes, they come out from between parked cars - that is the worst.  You can't always see them, like you can at crosswalks and intersections (where no cars are parked, giving a clearer view of the sidewalk).  I think they assume that because they can see you you will see them and slow down?  I am not sure.

I don't think so, but I truly never realized it was enforced. I do it, not obstructing traffic, but I certainly don't always cross at a crosswalk.

I think there is a loophole if the pedestrian crossing is more than 1/2 a mile away and the roadway isn't a highway or freeway where no pedestrian traffic is permitted.

Jaywalking is one of those selectively enforced laws. Like "vagrancy".    I remember the report on Ferguson Missouri showed a large number of jaywalking arrests, almost entirely black residents.  (Presumably as a source of revenue since arrests result in court fines etc).

• Like 9

Jaywalking has been used as a passive-aggressive way to annoy / bully by kids and gangs.

I remember as a kid when youngsters would deliberately cross the street slowly, away from the crosswalk, because the cars obviously have to wait for you (assuming they see you, which, sometimes they don't).

Apparently based on news stories over the years, this is still going on.

• Like 2

It's illegal here.  Always has been.  It still happens, especially in certain locations, that have a lot of pedestrian traffic, and no safe place for them to cross within blocks of their destination. In other areas, teens especially just mosey slowly out into traffic, like they're daring the driver to hit them.   I just looked it up, and New Mexico has the highest jaywalking death rate in the country.  I wish they'd enforce the law.  But they also need to make changes to the traffic flow that will make safe places for the people to cross the street.

• Like 2

I'm not familiar with the particular story that you're talking about.  But in my city, jaywalking is unbelievably common - and I'm not talking about the quiet residential streets, I'm talking about the six lane streets where traffic is moving at 45-55 mph.  I see it virtually every time I go out, and I couldn't begin to count the number of times that somebody has scared the crap out of me by bolting out into the street right in front of me.  Sometimes, dragging their little kids along behind them, and that's when I get really  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

And in what I am sure is not a coincidence, we have one of the highest rates of pedestrian deaths in the country.  So I think cracking down on it might be a good idea.  I've never heard of arrests being made for it, though.  

• Like 4

And let's add bikes to the list. It is a constant issue here with them not realizing that laws of driving apply to them. They dart through red lights, go against traffic, go between cars. We have almost killed a lot of people on bikes zipping in and out of traffic. And I don't mean a residential neighborhood and kids either. I am talking about adults disregarding traffic laws. 

• Like 1

And let's add bikes to the list. It is a constant issue here with them not realizing that laws of driving apply to them. They dart through red lights, go against traffic, go between cars. We have almost killed a lot of people on bikes zipping in and out of traffic. And I don't mean a residential neighborhood and kids either. I am talking about adults disregarding traffic laws. 

That's awful!  Someone on a bike is moving faster and therefore potentially even harder to respond to in time as compared to someone on foot.  Cycling is pretty common here, and many streets have designated bike lanes.  The cyclists are generally very responsible.  

Jaywalking does tend to be selectively enforced and in my area I think it's mostly not enforced. I'll still go out of my way to cross at a crosswalk which dh mostly teases me about. No, I don't care that we're walking a block out of the way, we're crossing in the crosswalk.

The law I'd like to see enforced better here is the state law that says that cars are supposed to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk, but that's mostly because I'd like to go out running and not almost be run over by cars while I am in the crosswalk and have the right of way.

• Like 1

This is a concept so hard for the kids in my town. When we go to the city we make a point to discuss this prior. EVERYONE in my town jaywalks. It's easy. And if no consequence. And we have no police.

On a similar note: we shot rockets off on our road it yesterday morning. We did not move for any cars (all two of them). They waved and drove around us.

My point:there's a huge difference between small towns and cities. It's absurd in one to cross only at the corner, and a huge safety problem in the other

• Like 2

Yes it's a thing. Yea, it's illegal. But you get a ticket here and not arrest as far as I know. And usually it's not enforced. Unless perhaps if you jaywalked right in front of an officer. It drives me crazy when people are too lazy to go to the crosswalk that is often feet away. It is permissible to cross at a street corner even without a marked crosswalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When I was little I think I remember hearing the term 'jaywalking' - we would do it because it was something that could make us feel rebellious, but we weren't really.

Now, with the case in the news of the guy getting beat up & arrested for doing it....I know there is more to it, but the confrontation started with jaywalking.

Did you know that it was really a thing to be arrested for?

It's a misdemeanor ticket everywhere I've ever lived. The only reason one might get arrested would be for other issues, like arguing with police, interference, etc. But I'd be surprised if the actual arrest was for the jaywalking.

I live in a rural area. I grew up in a rural area. There are no intersections (well not for miles at at time) and there are no crosswalks. I didn't learn about the idea of jaywalking until I went to college. The university educated students thoroughly on jaywalking and with so many people crossing the streets to and from campus it really was a big deal for traffic and safety. That was a long time ago and I have understood the reality of jaywalking laws ever since, but I will admit I spent my youth blissfully unaware.

• Like 1

I love Adam Ruins Everything.

I've always known it was illegal. However, I've also always known it was used to target whoever was considered "undesirable". I mean, it's definitely a nuisance for cars and there need to be rules, but realistically, the people ticketed for it are usually poor people. It's not arrestable everywhere - it's usually just like a parking citation. However, if you "resist" the ticket, then suddenly you're harassing an officer or something and they can haul you in.

There's a particular intersection I drive through all the time where the streets are at a funny angle. The people crossing NEVER look. I am convinced someone will get killed there. They don't pay attention to the lights at all because of the odd angle of the street, they don't think that cars can be oncoming onto that part of the road so they just walk out without pausing, only looking one way.

Word. I'm a cyclist and nothing drives me crazier than when cyclists demand to be treated as vehicles but then want to act like pedestrians or break laws in their movements because it is more convenient. You can't have it both ways.

Yes, I knew. Sometimes I will cross in the "wrong" place because it doesn't make sense to walk to the crosswalk, but I just make sure I'm not in someone's way. I'm talking about crossing a shopping center parking lot or such. People here are nervy!! They will walk across a hwy like it's nothing. And I doubt they are really addressed by law enforcement. There are lot of random people walking at all hours of the day on the streets in some areas.

I don't know about the news story.  (I'm still processing the bomb!)  Yes, it is illegal and being the driver in areas where pedestrians think it is funny to play chicken with cars, I think it should be.  It is far less common here (OK) than in California where my mom lives.  There, it appears, pedestrians have the right of way!  

• Like 1

In my nearby smalltown we frequently park in front of the karate dojo and jaywalk across to the building. It is a very short walk. There is a nearby police department within walking distance. The other day someone saw me and my teens standing out front and let us cross. After I crossed I realized it was one of the police cars. 

I have no idea if jaywalking is on the books of that town but I'm still suprised that he told me to go ahead. 

I live on street with a sidewalk and lots of people walk through our area.  There are still people who walk down the street instead.  All the neighbors have had walkers/runners shaking their fist and middle fingers at us when we are driving home.  I think a lot of people are just clueless. Not only is their a sidewalk there's a big grassy area beside the sidewalk to walk on a well.  We live on a bike path too and mostly people follow the bike rules, but there's always 3 or 4 cycling slowly across the whole road. It is really dangerous walking/biking on the road because the only people who follow the speed limit are the people who live here.  Most cars area easily going 2x the speed limit.  The police come out once a month and ticket people all day, but so far it hasn't had any effect on speeders. I don't even let my little one off the front porch.  He plays in the backyard, but never front yard because of the cars.

Not illegal in the UK except on motorways (freeways). We are traditionally much less of a car culture. In my local town, students cross all along the streets as they walk from one part of the campus to another. It's the drivers' duty to avoid them.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-pedestrians-1-to-35

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

I've always known it was illegal, but never known it to be enforced. In many places I hate seeing jaywalkers and they make me nervous. But I admit to repeatedly breaking this law a few years ago when we lived in an apartment near a main road. The intersection with the crosswalk was INSANE. It was dangerous to cross there and we were nearly hit several times even waiting for our signal. 

However about a block down from that intersection the road wasn't nearly as busy. I never darted out or ran for it with traffic coming, but by waiting a minute I could cross with my kids with no traffic coming from either way. It was much safer than at the designated crosswalk. 

So sometimes I get it. But when it's dark out or the road itself is busy, jaywalkers make me really nervous. I almost hit a couple a few weeks ago when I turned right onto a busy road and accelerated and they were RIGHT THERE less than half a block from the intersection darting out between the cars lined up in the left turn lane. 

• Like 1

I have known it is illegal since my teens. I don't know how much it is enforced but it should be (for cities). Maybe not in East Podunk, where jaywalking is going to get you a talking-to by the church ladies. But definitely in a city with a lot of pedestrian traffic. There's already a lot to attend to when driving in the city; the last thing anyone needs is pedestrians popping out from behind a parked car.

• Like 1

Of course, frequently if people are crossing illegally, that is because it is either unsafe or unfeasible to cross where it is legal - and frankly, I've found that a lot of people (including the police) don't really understand the law in this respect. In most areas, it is always legal to cross at an unmarked intersection. It is frequently legal to cross in the middle of the street unless certain criteria are met - like being between two stoplights.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 2

Of course, frequently if people are crossing illegally, that is because it is either unsafe or unfeasible to cross where it is legal - and frankly, I've found that a lot of people (including the police) don't really understand the law in this respect. In most areas, it is always legal to cross at an unmarked intersection. It is frequently legal to cross in the middle of the street unless certain criteria are met - like being between two stoplights.

In the places I've lived, it is not unsafe or unfeasible to cross where it is legal.  The blocks are small so you can cross every 300 feet; there are either stoplights or stop signs at most intersections, and people still jaywalk.  They don't just wait and jaywalk when no one is coming, either - they dart out right into traffic!  It makes me nuts.

• Like 3

In the places I've lived, it is not unsafe or unfeasible to cross where it is legal.  The blocks are small so you can cross every 300 feet; there are either stoplights or stop signs at most intersections, and people still jaywalk.  They don't just wait and jaywalk when no one is coming, either - they dart out right into traffic!  It makes me nuts.

It's definitely unsafe at several locations in my city. I would rather use a crosswalk in our big city (Salt Lake City) than my own. Actually I do frequently walk around SLC when we're there with the kids and I feel safe doing so. I very rarely walk outside the neighborhood in our city. It's poorly laid out with a lot of odd angle intersections and bad areas of highly concentrated traffic. Grandma sometimes walks with the kids from her house to a commercial area nearby and they have a safe crosswalk across a busy road there. But it's one of the only safe routes I can think of to get anywhere of consequence on foot. 

I've never seen it enforced. Like an above poster, our TKD is half a block from the police station. There is very little convenient parking, so many people jaywalk there. I grew up in one small town and have lived in others. *Everyone* jaywalked, but traffic was almost non-existent.

in downtown seattle - it is safe to cross in crosswalks - and they're not that far apart. some people don't want to walk to/wait for one.   it's not the issue it used to be (police do//did ticket**), just due to traffic not giving opportunities for people to dash across.

**not so sure how much they ticket anymore.  one guy worked in a building in westlake center and reported a couple having s3x on the sidewalk in westlake park (paved park, bang smack in the middle of the shopping district).   . . . there was a cop nearby. . . . writing a *parking* ticket.

yep.

It's definitely unsafe at several locations in my city. I would rather use a crosswalk in our big city (Salt Lake City) than my own. Actually I do frequently walk around SLC when we're there with the kids and I feel safe doing so. I very rarely walk outside the neighborhood in our city. It's poorly laid out with a lot of odd angle intersections and bad areas of highly concentrated traffic. Grandma sometimes walks with the kids from her house to a commercial area nearby and they have a safe crosswalk across a busy road there. But it's one of the only safe routes I can think of to get anywhere of consequence on foot. 

slc has extra-wide streets. (you could do a uey with a wagon and full-team.)  long blocks (cross walks in the middle of the blocks).  i wouldn't want to try and dash across that many lanes of traffic.