Menu

Low-Carb, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free breakfast ideas

eternalsummer

Is there anything left to eat in this situation besides bacon with a side of bacon?  I am running out of ideas.  I would be fine with dinner-for-breakfast foods but even those ideas are a bit beyond me.  My favorite things to eat tend to be carbs with a side of sugar or sugar with a side of carbs.

We don't eat dairy or eggs.  Meat and fish are generally okay (we can usually find a source).

I honestly would suggest something like fried fish and miso, Japanese style, or a pot roast. When I was having reactions to eggs and dairy and eliminated them I either skipped breakfast and waited until lunch or just ate leftovers.

Think "lunch."

Tums salad

Chicken nuggets

Steak

Best trick I ever learned for high-protein, no dairy or egg, was how to cook meat at extremely high heat.

Get venison steaks and slice thrm about half an inch thick. Or chicken breasts. Or ostrich. Or lamb. Or pork.

Then you heat a very sturdy fry pan (I got a 7 layer DeMeyre but cast iron also works.). Get it really hot. When you drop a little water in it, the drops should totally dance, not steam.

Put the meat in the super hot land and cut the heat by half.

As soon as the meat releases from the pan without sticking, flip the meat, take the pan off the burner and turn off the flame and cover the meat. Wait about 3 minutes. Done.

It sounds complicated, but it isn't. It's very fast. Less than 8 minutes from cold pan to done meat.

If you use a 3-ply or cheap or nonstick pan, it won't work. The pan has to hold the heat, for one thing, and the thinner pans will warp.

It is largely not for me, but for a family member.  Quinoa has been rejected.  Sausages are a great idea but harder for me to find locally.

tums salad sounds a bit questionable, hah!  tuna salad is a good idea.  I can have that on hand and the kids are unlikely to scarf it all up right away (bacon doesn't always last until everyone can have some)

Venison has gone over well here and venison steaks sound like a great idea.  I could do that maybe with a vegetable hash and a few potatoes?

It may depend on the person and how low-carb they are going, but FWIW, many people with insulin issues (i.e. going low-carb for a reason) have more trouble with carbs in the morning than later in the day.  I'd only add veggies to breakfast as necessary for flavor and such - I'd save them for later in the day.  I would avoid potatoes at any meal with the possible exception of a few tiny bites with dinner at most.

• Like 1

ah, that's a good idea about homemade sausage!

Avocados are mostly a no as they are rejected if they have any spot of brown or are not adequately soft, and my avocado selection skills have not been great recently.

coconut flour is a yes but I haven't figured out how to make anything palatable out of it without eggs.

I like this turkey sausage recipe. 

What about muffins made with almond flour and stevia sweeteners or coconut flour pancakes with sugar free syrups? They will have eggs in the recipes but I think you can substitute ground flax seed with water for eggs. 

I use unsweetened almond milk instead of dairy. 

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 1

ananemone, most days I just have bulletproof coffee for breakfast (coffee whipped with kerrygold unsalted butter); the fat holds me until lunch.  (sigh, or until I have another cup but with heavy cream instead...)  I never thought I could get rid of the sugar in my coffee until someone here introduced me to BPC, for the energy from the fat rather than needing to burn energy from sugar due to the caffeine, if that makes any sense.  I am sometimes sensitive even to protein at breakfast; it depends.

Those look yummy!  Unfortunately they are high carb (banana plus oats).

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

I'm a picky eater and don't like anything pork, and only a few things egg, so breakfast is a tricky meal for me.

Things I've eaten for breakfast that might work for you (?--maybe?) :

Jennie-O brand (gotta be that brand) turkey breast lunchmeat, chipped (gotta be chipped.). Any other brand and any other texture and I can't stand it. I'll usually eat a piece of fruit with the lunchmeat. And yes, it's just a blob of lunchmeat on the plate.

Shrimp--I get bags of frozen shrimp, thaw them overnight, then fry them in a pan the next morning with spices on top.

Leftovers from the night before.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

A few years ago I was on a very strict diet. Someone here suggested nuts, flaked coconut and coconut milk. Chop whatever combo of walnuts, almonds etc, you like, add in some raw coconut, cocnut or almond milk and heat in micro for a minute or two. It was very good.

Things I haven't heard mentioned that I like are lentil vegetable, beef and barley, and beef stew for breakfast. Amy's makes a good canned organic lentil soup.

I have a loaf apple quick bread and sausage (they bake on top) recipe that I've been wanting to convert to be gluten (almond four is low carb), dairy, sugar, and egg free. I got it from a friend and haven't made it in 20 years or so, but it was so good!

• Like 1

Things I haven't heard mentioned that I like are lentil vegetable, beef and barley, and beef stew for breakfast. Amy's makes a good canned organic lentil soup.

I have a loaf apple quick bread and sausage (they bake on top) recipe that I've been wanting to convert to be gluten (almond four is low carb), dairy, sugar, and egg free. I got it from a friend and haven't made it in 20 years or so, but it was so good!

not particularly low carb

• Like 1

For a sweet tooth:

Dried fruit or fruit compote (or jam for extra sweetness) on oatmeal, cream of wheat, rice pudding (made with no sugar).

You could even do beans with maple syrup if you want more protein.

Apple sauce and muesli (with non-dairy milk)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

brussels sprouts sounds good :)  the chia pudding thing *I* would love, and I might make it for myself with maple syrup or something, but stevia, xylitol, chocolate, carob, and chia seeds are all a no for the people I cook for :)

I love those little chia puddings you can get premade that have the spoons in them, but they are ridiculously expensive.  like $3 for what I am pretty sure is 20 cents worth of food.  I should try making them instead.

Now that is a great idea

maybe with nuts too or something

You could probably just eat nuts too.

I'd be perfectly happy with an apple and a handful of almonds, pistachios, or cashews for breakfast, but I suspect I'm lazier about food than you. 

• Like 1

might as well eat a candy bar

You equate oatmeal, rice and fruit with a candy bar?  For a family with 4 young children?  These are staple foods for millions of people world wide.  It's kind of nice to have a little variety in life.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

We have loved paleo style breakfast cookies - made from pumpkin and almond flour or from banana and coconut. Also breakfast "bites" - nut butter based with seeds and dried fruit in them.

What about ham slice with sautéed veggies rolled up inside? Ground turkey with apples, onions, cinnamon all browned together in a skillet? Sweet potato latkas?