Menu

Audible (audiobook) question from a Luddite

AFwife Claire

My oldest son started an audible account last year.  He downloads stuff to his phone at college and listens, which is great.  We had some extra credits, so I picked out some books for us to listen to and dowloaded them onto my computer.  We don't have an ipad or anything like that, and my phone doesn't have enough space for audiobooks. 

So my question is--how do we listen to them?  Just crowd around the computer??  If we were to get some other device to use with them, what should we get?  And would we be able to put these books we've already gotten onto it?  How can we listen to things in the car?  

We are spoiled by a library system with a fairly good collection of audiobooks on cd, so that is what we usually get before a long car trip or whatever.  But there were some great books on audible that our library doesn't have.  I'm just stuck on how to actually listen to them!

My oldest son started an audible account last year.  He downloads stuff to his phone at college and listens, which is great.  We had some extra credits, so I picked out some books for us to listen to and dowloaded them onto my computer.  We don't have an ipad or anything like that, and my phone doesn't have enough space for audiobooks. 

So my question is--how do we listen to them?  Just crowd around the computer??  If we were to get some other device to use with them, what should we get?  And would we be able to put these books we've already gotten onto it?  How can we listen to things in the car?  

We are spoiled by a library system with a fairly good collection of audiobooks on cd, so that is what we usually get before a long car trip or whatever.  But there were some great books on audible that our library doesn't have.  I'm just stuck on how to actually listen to them!

If your phone does not have enough space, I'd get an ipod.

I got my audible account and first audible books a LONG time ago. (earliest books in my library are January 2001)

Back then, I bought the Audible Mp3 player and listened to them there.

I think I had a couple of iterations of these (one was a Zen?). And then dropped it when they increased the price and decreased the amount of credits you got -- no longer worth it to me. Continued to listen to the books I already had. I met a guy, got married, forgot about downloading books to listen to.   So NO purchases between 2003 and 2007 (When I converted some Left Behind books from Cassette tape to mp3 by purchasing them from Audible). Then nothing again until 2011.  Then I got an ipod and was able to download the app and listen to books -- even one purchased WAY back in 2001.  And I have continued to intermittently purchase books ever since, now listening on my iphone

At least at one point, there was also the ability to burn your purchased books to CD to listen to that way. You could look into if that is still possible or not.

Link to a list of tons of devices it is compatible with:

http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5076/kw/devices/related/1

I agree that the cheapest option is the $39 kindle fire.

I bought one at Christmas and use it mostly for listening to audio books.....Almost all of which I get free from the public library.

Edited by Ottakee

I have external speakers I use on my phone, but a kindle is probably cheaper than an iPhone even if the phone is used. An iPod touch can achieve the same thing.