Menu

Multi-age Elementary Science Curricula that is all-inclusive?

I have tried, and liked components of, so many different curricula.  I need a science program that is all-inclusive.  I don't want to do a lot of experiments, my husband does all sorts of things with the children.  I like the reading and notebooking, but I don't want to pull it together myself.  Minimal cur/paste activities are okay, but I would really prefer something that is JUST notebooking, or as close to that as possible.  Christian content is preferred.  

I am trying to combine 6th, 2nd, and K.  My 6th grader does Equine Science also, but I want to have something we can all do together.  Thanks!

I would recommend Dr. Jay Wile's Berean Builders series, e.g. Science in the Beginning, Science in the Ancient World, etc. I know you expressed that you would rather not do experiments, but the ones in this series (one before each lesson) are VERY doable and VERY short, most taking mere minutes. All lessons are immediately adaptable to ages from K through about 7th. The notebooking aspect is simple and straightforward. My kids really have learned a lot, and so have I!

I encourage you to take a good look at this series, the final installment of which should be coming out later this year making a total of five books.

Edited by JNDodge
  • Like 1

Check into Quark Chronicles by Barefoot Ragamuffin Curricula. The spine is a novel that introduces the concepts really well. In the Lulu store that sells the Quark books (also available on Amazon) there are also complimenting Quark Chronicles science program with note booking pages (more for the upper grades), that lists resources to round out the program for Grammar and Dialectic stages. The program includes an optional experiment activities, but they are not necessary and I didn't use them. So far the authors have Biology, Zoology, and Anatomy, and I just got an e-mail that Astronomy will be available in May. We used Biology, and I highly recommend that program in conjunction with the Ellen McHenry resource recommended. That resource has a lot of really simple activities, like you mentioned, that were really scientific even for my youngest, who is in Kindergarten. Also, the program itself is very inexpensive to put together, and versatile depending on what resources you might want to check out from the library. We are now working through Zoology, and the feeling on science day among my kids is it is the best day of the week. They really get into it. :)

ETA: I said they had a "Biology" volume, but I meant "Botany". ;)

Edited by coastalfam

Another vote for Science in the Beginning. We have only just started it but so far it's great. The reading actually flows with the experiment and it's been both informative and enjoyable. There's a little reading followed by the experiment and then directions for notebooking. I have hated the way ES and RSO are written, nothing seems to flow and tie together so I'm excited about this working. It's a hit with DS and even DD is having fun too. The experiments seem very simple so your older child could probably set them up and do them for your littles.

• Like 1

With that wide of a spread you're going to be over the littles' heads or giving the 6th grader gravy. I'd split the 6th grader out to new material on his own. Then I'd put the little two in something like Sassafras or just read nonfiction books and notebook with blank paper.

• Like 1

If you have the money, and room to store it, I think God's Design for Science is one of the best family style curricula.

https://www.christianbook.com/page/homeschool/science/gods-design

It is complete. Some of the books are written directly for the youngest ones too, but I have the ability to bring down even the harder books myself.

I am a mess. We all know that. There is no way I could afford to keep replacing this set, every time I have bad luck or do something stupid. And I tend to loan books to unstable people and not get them back, and sets are harder to replace than individual books.

But I continually look at this set and think good things about it. I had a few of the books and have nothing negative to say.

At this point, Layers of Learning is what I intend to pre-read and be ready to use, as it is digital and I'm working on storing it in multiple places. But if I had my own precious little ones, and a nice stable place to live, and unlimited funds, a partner sharing the teaching load, and all that type of set-up, I'd probably use this set instead. If this set ever goes digital, I'll have a hard time not buying it. Really I do NOT need it. I don't. But...well...I like it. I do.

With that wide of a spread you're going to be over the littles' heads or giving the 6th grader gravy. I'd split the 6th grader out to new material on his own. Then I'd put the little two in something like Sassafras or just read nonfiction books and notebook with blank paper.

This is what we found to be true too. I tried, I really did, but 6th grade is just too big of a jump. We went with something independent for the 6th grader (Mr Q, but others I'm sure would work well too) and I focused on the youngers.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

This is what we found to be true too. I tried, I really did, but 6th grade is just too big of a jump. We went with something independent for the 6th grader (Mr Q, but others I'm sure would work well too) and I focused on the youngers.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

I am aware of the spread. The 6th grader is doing two Equine Programs which constitutes the bulk of her science. However, she wants to participate with her siblings, as the older ones are way over her head. She is not in need of a full science program, think of it more as a supplement. Thank you for your input.