Menu

He wrote a coherent essay!!!! (or aka maybe I haven't failed after all ...)

After 2 writing programs and 1.75 years of panic on my part, 2nd DS finally produced a coherent essay that did not contain every big and impressive word he's ever heard (mostly used inappropriately) and 36,756 run on sentences and that actually had an identifiable organizational structure.

I feel like I've climbed Mount Everest. :party:

• Like 29

After 2 writing programs and 1.75 years of panic on my part, 2nd DS finally produced a coherent essay that did not contain every big and impressive word he's ever heard (mostly used inappropriately) and 36,756 run on sentences and that actually had an identifiable organizational structure.

I feel like I've climbed Mount Everest. :party:

I see you use IEW. :)

Same here.

I see AG season 2 in you signature. What is it?

I can relate, though not to big words.  Ds had a tendency to use small words.  We used Write Shop in 6th-7th-8th, then a year of just writing in English and History with some evaluations at the end of the year.  10th grade was an excellent online writing course (teacher now retired to raise her dc), then CC composition.  Ds received much better instruction (and needed it) than I ever received.

So there is hope for my ds?  :tongue_smilie:

Yes, there is, but you have to put in the time, imo.

• Like 1

I can relate, though not to big words. Ds had a tendency to use small words. We used Write Shop in 6th-7th-8th, then a year of just writing in English and History with some evaluations at the end of the year. 10th grade was an excellent online writing course (teacher now retired to raise her dc), then CC composition. Ds received much better instruction (and needed it) than I ever received.

Yes, there is, but you have to put in the time, imo.

Yes, it's taken a lot of time and effort on my part, but it's so rewarding to see it pay off!

He used Wordsmith for creative writing in 6th and 7th and is actually a pretty great fiction writer, but when it came time to use Craftsman for essay writing in 8th it was a disaster. He just needed more explicit instruction and organization than it provided.

So I started him on IEW listening to Mr. Pudewa teach and he resisted. Mightily. Lol. He thinks he doesn't need that much explicit instruction because it hampers his creativity.

So I got sneaky about it and started using IEW techniques along with LLftLOtR and it has helped his organization. So. Much.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

:hurray:

So there is hope for my ds? :tongue_smilie:

I forgot to say in my original post that he also used to make clever (or so he thought 🙄) references to The Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings characters in almost every composition. I think that might be just a maturity thing because he doesn't do that anymore.

But for several months there I simply could not believe how many times I had to remind him that Tolkien's characters are not actually appropriate for very many kinds of academic writing. 🙄

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 1