Menu

Petty vent--funeral arrangements

AnnE-girl

DH's uncle passed away this week. He was the bachelor only brother in a family of a bunch of girls. I'm not sure how MIL and her sisters are figuring out the arrangements. DH is assuming that it will probably be Monday and Tuesday because of Holy Week, but he hasn't heard anything definite. We need to make hotel reservations and DH needs to reschedule work stuff. I still have a lot to do to get ready for Easter. If the wake and funeral are separate days I think I need to go shopping for additional clothes for the kids. I just want to know what I need to do so I can plan out the rest of my week.

But I feel petty because mil and her sisters are dealing with the loss of their brother and I'm whining about shopping.

It's obvious that you're not being petty. You recognize that the family has different priorities. That doesn't mean you can't feel stressed over the preparations you will have to make, once you find out what's going on.

I'm sorry about your dh's uncle. :grouphug:

• Like 7

I get it.  My Grandma died the week before Christmas.  The funeral was held on December 23, even though many people had to travel from out of state.  It was a 10 hour drive for us, so we left on the 22, went to the funeral and graveside service (though it wasn't graveside, because they can't bury her until it warms up), left that afternoon, drove halfway home, stayed in a hotel, and got home at noon on Christmas Eve.  It was very stressful.

I'm sorry for the loss of your uncle.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. We finally heard. It's actually going to be at the end of the month to allow one of the sisters who lives farthest away to come. She just lost her husband unexpectedly due to surgical complications a few months ago, so she's having a more difficult time.