Menu

conceptual chemistry for future engineer (computer)

Hi

My son is thinking of computer engineering for a major and we will be doing chemistry next year.  I see that the WTM online class uses the Conceptual chemistry.  Is this good enough for kids who may possible end up majoring in engineering ?  My son will be doing Algebra 2 concurrently-we started Algebra 2 about a month ago so he will finish 1/2 way through Chemistry, if that helps at all in choosing a chemistry course.  

Has anyone had kids majoring in engineering that would have an opinion on Conceptual chemistry?

Thanks

pj

Depending on his type of engineering major, he may not need any college chemistry, so yes, you could probably just do conceptual chemistry in college.  But I'll throw this out: if he's interested in engineering, he probably has solid quantitative skills, so may do fine with solving equations in chemistry.  At the very least, it's good practice, applying his math skills to the sciences.   

I haven't BTDT, but I'm not sure why a student interested in STEM would take a conceptual science course in high school. Maybe if they don't especially like chemistry and but still need to check a box? Or maybe to have a slightly easier course to balance out an otherwise heavy schedule.

A student that is finishing algebra 2 should be able to take any chemistry course. Chemistry largely applies algebra 1 skills, except for logarithms which is an algebra 2 topic.

My DS is finishing a math-based Chemistry course right now and is taking Geometry concurrently.   He has had no problems with the math.  I would think for a future STEM major, a math-based Chemistry course would look better on a transcript than a conceptual chemistry course.   

• Like 1

For both admissions and merit scholarship purposes (not to mention learning), STEM students are generally encouraged to take the highest level courses available to them, which would point towards math-based over conceptual Chem.  A good middle school chemistry course (say, the Prentice Hall Science Explorer books) covers the basic conceptual chemistry stuff deeply enough that a future engineer should have no problem with a math-based Chem course in high school.  The more practice with math, in math classes and in science classes, that an engineering student has going into college, the more prepared they will be for their college math, science, and engineering classes (which will be the bulk of their courseload).

• Like 1

Thank you everyone! Very helpful. Any advice on which math based chemistry? It needs to be one with some resources for me since I will be teaching it I am not afraid to teach it but it's been awhile since I've done Chemistry myself!