Menu

Can I save my milk supply?

DesertBlossom

A few weeks ago DS (16mo) got hand, foot and mouth and went on a 2 day nursing strike. A few days later I found out I was pregnant so I started the process of weaning since my supply was already low and I dry up during pregnancy anyway.

Well I found out this week it's not a viable pregnancy. (blighted ovum- and I am sure of my dates so I know it's not that I am just not far enough along to tell)

I've done my crying and now I am just waiting for my body to realize it too. I am feeling bad about weaning DS though. When I had my u/s it had been about 2 days since he last nursed. (He still always asks) I nursed him and I could hear him swallow a little on one side. I have been nursing him the last couple days but obviously my supply is super low. It may take my body a couple weeks still to figure out I am not really pregnant so I can't really bring my supply up right now.

Do I have any hope of saving my milk supply? It's not the end of the world if I can't. I feel like anything after a year is bonus, but I would kind of like to keep going if I can. Or do I just give up?

Eat oatmeal, take fenugreek, encourage him to nurse as much as possible.  Maybe pump.  I think you probably can, but it may take some work and/ or be difficult.  I do think there are a lot of benefits to nursing longer (I nursed my youngest till 3.5), but I also wouldn't feel guilt if you have trouble with supply.  It sounds like weaning him is not really traumatic.  No guilt either way. 

My 3 yr old is still nursing. I don't think she is getting much at all at this point. She goes days sometimes without nursing. By age 1, I think of it as supplementing and maybe some extra antibodies. I start whole milk then for actual calories. Is that an option for you? Many don't start the whole milk and keep up nursing as the full source, but for me, it hasn't been a problem. My last two kids have nursed for years past the time I introduce milk in cups daily. 

Brewers yeast has helped my supply. I stir it into oatmeal along with flaxseed and walnuts. It's pretty strong, so I use a lot of cinnamon and maple syrup to mask the flavor. I've also added it to my veggie egg scrambles. I mix it in the eggs while the veggies get a head start in the frying pan. Salsa and cheese on top helps hide the flavor too. I've made lactation cookies a few times, but I can't find the recipe to link at the moment. They have peanut or almond butter, oats, flaxseed, brewers yeast, and whole wheat flour. I'll post the recipe when I find it.