Menu

NO joke! I just submitted my post and one of those "computer" calls came in! WHAT THE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sheryl

I just hit the button for my other post and a call came in from another number.  Both calls last night we're different.  This is a 3rd different number. 

He's called before.  He claims that we have a bug on our computer and needs to gain access!!!  Really.  Does he think we're stupid!

This happens 2-3 times a year.  What can be done?!?!!??????

• Like 1

This is a common scam call.  We get it a several times a year.  I just hang up on them.  My husband likes to play along a bit.   I'm not sure what can be done.  I think there are "do not call" registries but we haven't been bothered enough to look into it. 

• Like 1

thanks, zoobie, for those 2 links.  i'll check them out.  have you used either one or both?

Both! I don't think I've ever had to file a complaint, but we are on the federal Do Not Call list. Nomorobo is fantastic, but it rings a sort of half-ring before it gets whisked away. They fund the service by selling the robo numbers to robo callers, which is pretty genius. I saw it on a news show or somewhere--it's legit. :)

i put the  phone down and let them talk until they realize no one is there and hang up.  I figure I'm helping someone down the line who might be more vulnerable to being scammed.

scammers - and robo-call telemarketers don't give a rip about do-not-call registries.   I've been on them for years, and get the calls all the time.

they robo/auto-dial so the numbers dialed are random.  notice they don't know your name.

I have one on my answering machine I feel like I need to report.  it claims to be an "awards dept" for a prize we signed up for last year and they've drawn prizes.    . . notice - it doesn't say WHAT awards dept, NOR does it give our name.   and .. it's a robo call.

I hate robo calls - and I think one of the best ways to shut/slow down those scams is to require a real human being, and not a recording.

• Like 1

This service is awesome: https://www.nomorobo.com

I want to like this - but I'm outta likes.

but, whatever will I do with no more microsoft technical dept?  or the 'card services' telling me my cc are fine?

eta: pity.  I just read the fine print.  it's NOT available for traditional landlines. . . . .

maybe it depends upon carrier.  

Edited by gardenmom5

Scroll down....there is a Verizon landline option to click.

I want to like this - but I'm outta likes.

but, whatever will I do with no more microsoft technical dept?  or the 'card services' telling me my cc are fine?

eta: pity.  I just read the fine print.  it's NOT available for traditional landlines. . . . .

maybe it depends upon carrier.  

ok.  we got it set up.  we've already had several "rings once, hangs up".  which is how it is set up with the robo calls.  very cool.

one telemarketer did go through - but it was a real person, and he was local.

I was getting those calls all the time. Sometimes up to 12 times a day. It was miserable. I have an emergency whistle and I started blowing that into the phone when they called. No calls for more than six months now.

With a robo call, that's a computer?

The computer auto-dials then when you answer it connects you with a person who talks to you. They are also used by legitamate companies at times.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

oh no - there are multiple version where the "person" on the other end - is a recording.  they're worse than the ones with a person on the other end.

the first time - I thought it was a person.  the sound quality is quite good.