Menu

College service fraternity

Night Elf

In reading about this fraternity, it appears you have to pledge and rush. Is this difficult? Is it expensive to be a member?

It also started out where guys had to be affiliated with Boy Scouts. Then girls were admitted and they were Girl Scouts. I think that's not true anymore. Any idea? Dd was never a Girl Scout.

In reading about this fraternity, it appears you have to pledge and rush. Is this difficult? Is it expensive to be a member?

It also started out where guys had to be affiliated with Boy Scouts. Then girls were admitted and they were Girl Scouts. I think that's not true anymore. Any idea? Dd was never a Girl Scout.

Yes, they have rush meetings and a pledge semester, but it is not connected to the same system as social fraternities and sororities. At all. The all have Greek letter names and the cute pins and name tags, that's about where the similarities end. The semester of pledging has very similar service requirements as members, just with an extra pledge-only meeting (weekly, I think?) and we had to "interview" all the active members and a few alumni and faculty sponsors. Just "get to know you, why did you join APO" type questions. You also have one or two "big brothers", actives who help you with this kind of thing and make sure you keep on top of everything. One of my "bigs" was in my wedding party and I'm still friends with both of them to this day.

Yes it originated with Boy Scouts, but you don't have to be a former Scout to join. Just learn the history of the organization. There's no affirming a higher power thing like with BSA.

I always thought some of the ceremonial ritual joining/pledging stuff was a bit silly (nothing harmful, just silly), but on my campus there was a distinct closeness of those in organizations that did this kind of stuff, versus those who had more informal memberships and meetings.

The most expensive thing is probably being a "big brother" and sponsoring pledges, which is why I had two - they split the costs. It's definitely not the hundreds or thousands in dues that some social fraternities have!

ETA: Of course, this was 15 years ago and on one campus. I'm not sure how chapters vary nationally.

Edited by BarbecueMom

Thank you for the information. I'll pass it along to dd. She'll have to contact them to find out when they start for Fall semester. Social fraternities/sororities have students move in earlier than regular students so they can start their joining process. Pledging or whatever it is.