Menu

Computer Technology as a Foreign Language?

What type of classes fall under this "umbrella?"  I am just asking about the words in red.  The rest was just for clarification.

What computer courses would fill this two year requirement for a language?  What would you feel definitely would NOT?

"Foreign or non-English language (two years of the same language) 

or 

Computer technology (two units in programming, hardware and business computer applications, such as word processing, databases, spreadsheets and graphics, will qualify; keyboarding or typing classes do not qualify) (1 foreign language and 1 computer course will not meet this requirement.)"

• Like 1

Courses in either programming (Scratch, Python, Java, etc.) or applications (Office Suite, Photoshop, InDesign, etc.) would meet the criteria in red. It's important to keep in mind, though, that while these classes may meet minimum HS graduation requirements, they may not meet college admission requirements, so I would be very careful if this is for a college-bound student. 

For example, in my state students can take "career and technical education" courses instead of foreign language to meet graduation requirements, but the state universities (along with many many other colleges) still require at least 2 yrs of foreign language for admission, and computer "languages" do not count.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1

re: computer science vs computer tech

I would look at course descriptions, because I can see different institutions using the terms interchangeably.

In our school district, only special ed students are allowed to use computer languages for foreign language high school graduations requirements. Most colleges won't accept them as a foreign language, though.

• Like 1

It seems that the few schools I have looked at here in Oklahoma accept two years of computer technology instead of a foreign language. 

At least that is how I am understanding what I am reading.  Here is what one of them states, and it seems about the same as the others I looked at:

High School Curricular Core Requirements for First-time Freshman

4 units of English
taken from grammar, composition and literature only

3 units of college prep math (4 recommended)
Taken from algebra I, algebra II, geometry, trigonometry, math analysis, calculus, or Advanced Placement (AP) Statistics

3 units of laboratory science (4 recommended)
(does not include general science, with or without a lab) one year of principles of technology may substitute for one of the lab science courses, provided that the student also completes a traditional lab science course

3 units of history and citizenship
to include one unit of American history and two additional units from the subjects of history, economics, geography, government, non-western culture

2 additional units
from any of the subjects previously listed or computer science or foreign language. Two years of the same foreign language will satisfy the University's foreign language general education requirement. Any AP course not already used to satisfy the curricular units mentioned previously may be used to satisfy the two additional units except AP courses in Studio Art or International English

Coursework in music, art, drama or speech is also recommended.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong.

2 additional units

from any of the subjects previously listed or computer science or foreign language. Two years of the same foreign language will satisfy the University's foreign language general education requirement. Any AP course not already used to satisfy the curricular units mentioned previously may be used to satisfy the two additional units except AP courses in Studio Art or International English

It looks like they will accept computer courses in lieu of foreign language for admission, but they still require 2 units of foreign language for graduation.

Is there a particular reason you're trying to avoid taking any foreign language courses in high school? If the Gen Ed requirements at the college include either 2 years of HS foreign language or 2 semesters of college foreign language for a BA/BS, then generally that's easier to knock out in high school.