Menu

Non-teacher intensive options with a dyslexic

I know that the title of this may sound like an oxymoron.  Next fall I will have 4th grader (tested and dyslexic with slow processing speed) and 1st grader (shows signs of dyslexia and low working memory, but not yet tested).  I am also expecting a baby around the start of the school year as well.  We are already using Barton with my current 3rd grader and Recipe for Reading with my Ker, but I am planning to try Barton with her as well when my level 1 gets returned to me.  I know that both math and LA will be very teacher intensive with both kids.  My oldest really WANTS to do more with other subjects as well and asks for more, but I know what we are using this year (both science and history have me doing a lot of reading out loud) likely won't work well with a newborn so am checking out other options for next school year.

For background, neither child is reading anything outside of their reading lessons.  I do all the other reading aloud to them.  They do learn well from me reading to them, and love anything that is in story form.  My oldest can listen to audio books for hours.  However, when I am too sleep deprived, I will fall asleep reading aloud to my children.  I need some history, science, or other good options that take me out of doing all the reading.  I could think of a few, but thought you all would have some more great ideas for me to check into.   

For science, I know Apologia has some audio files of the author reading the book aloud.  Does this work well to listen to and then do experiments?  Are there other options for science to check into?  My oldest especially loves science and just nature studies and science videos will not satisfy her craving for knowledge here (I'm not too concerned about the 1st grader given her age). 

For history, I know SOTW and MOH both have audio book options.  Is listening to them and looking at maps enough?  I don't want something with a lot of projects as I am concerned I won't have the energy for them and will drop it all entirely.  I have heard of Veritas Press self paced history online too as an option since it can read everything aloud to the child, but am not sure how that will fit into the budget with a couple Barton levels to purchase and not being able to sell off old levels yet.  Have you used any of these with success with a dyslexic?  Or do you have other ideas I should look into?  I could also do a year of geography instead of history, but the few options I could think of were pretty teacher intensive with me reading aloud a lot and doing projects and I'm afraid it wouldn't get done.

For typing with the 4th grader, I would like to use Touch, Type, Read, and Spell since that is supposed to pair well with Barton.  After she completes level 4 (we aren't done with level 3 yet), I will add in other LA.  She is also doing well learning cursive this year so will somehow keep her practicing that in a way that will work with Barton, but am still figuring out that as well (I do own StartWrite software so have thought about copywork with Barton sentences).  I also will have art videos (a big hit with both of them and my oldest definitely has a talent for art) available to them.  I know my oldest would love art studies on famous artists, but haven't even looked into these options yet.  I would love to expose them to more music, but am not concerned if it happens next year or not.  I don't care next year if it is more listening to Classical Kids CDs (like Beethovan Lives Upstairs) and other CDs for the time being, even though I know long-term that is not ideal.

In short, outside of math and LA, I would love non-teacher intensive ideas or ideas with audio books that we can use to cover other subjects for a 4th grader and 1st grader or I am concerned that they may not get done.  My oldest is craving more "school work" and am trying ways to satisfy that while also being reasonable with what I can accomplish.

I'm laugh-crying with you.

My child who tried to listen to Apologia on audio calls her the "crazed squirrel lady".  There is just too much content presented at too high a rate of speed for him to enjoy the audio.  We've had better luck watching Nature and Nova episodes and doing experiments from Janice Van Cleave's series.

The SOTW audio is good.  We have gone light on map work, but have hit some of the better crafts in the activity guide.

• Like 2

I haven't tried the apologia audio, but you might be able to slow it down in ereader software. Or if you can get the book as a pdf, you could use VoiceDream. BJU has reader capability in their e-text. It's not a human voice, but it's a reader. BJU is actually really, really good, but watch samples and see if it works for them. If they have attention issues, it might or might not work.

The VP self-paced, for as much as I love it, is going to be a real stretch for non-readers. I'm not using it with my ds, because the quizzes require tons of reading. They're going to memorize events and dates, play games ordering text, take quizzes, etc. It's a lot of reading. Maybe I'm misremembering. Just depending where they are, even a little might be too much.

Audible has Great Courses. Agree with the recommend of documentaries, etc. My ds is avidly into History Channel, science shows, etc.

Are you connected to BARD? I've never looked for an audio of Hakim, but BARD might have it.

This is just my two cents, but you might try diversifying your approach, rather than assuming what you're looking for is more history and science. If they're watching videos of some kind and you buy a couple lab kits or boxes to try, you've got that covered, boom. So then diversify! Do you look at Timberdoodle? Your younger will enjoy the Djeco art kits. Timberdoodle always has great, great stuff. Their doodling books are WONDERFUL. They have art kits, logic games, super dot to dots, etc. etc. Get this kind of stuff and call it school! It's enriching, and it builds really valuable skills. We do this stuff! My ds can't necessarily do them *independently* but that's because of how he is with his autism. He couldn't do the drawing, etc., so our worker actually schedules in doodling every session.

They can write from prompts (Listography, Unjournaling, etc.) using tech. They could make videos. Teacher Created Resources sells ebooks of computer/tech projects for kids. They're thoroughly explained and really cool! They also have ebooks on learning to use apps. You can filter the search for say 4th and then by topic. 

Computer Projects Grade 2-4

Using Apps and the iPad in the Classroom Grade 3-6

We've used some of the K-2 apps book, and it's really good! It's kind of just enough.

My ds also enjoys Scratch coding. I guess you'd have to see if your older can do work with the text enough. In reality it requires reading, ugh.  Scratch that.

Back to TCR. I really like their stuff! It works well for my ds where we want really concrete, clear tasks that don't require instruction. If you look under math, you'll find 

Challenging Graph Art

Coordinate Graphing: Creating Geometry Quilts Grade 4 & Up

Math Challenges, Grades 4-6

Daily Warm-Ups: Problem Solving Math Grade 4

They have more graphing art, cut and paste for math and science, etc. etc. Lots of really cute stuff! I know I've also gotten brain teaser type books from them that have gone over HUGE. And sure the math will have reading, but it's usually like one sentence, maybe two. If they can't read it, then I would consider putting a reader app on a phone and letting them use it. Or you could load the pdf and use (Claro? I forget) to read and type right in the document. I don't use the regular Daily Warm-Up pages, but we really like the problem solving ones! Or maybe I use the regular ones too? I forget. I usually buy a bunch of books and print them, then I go through chapters and collate them into daily work packets that I paperclip. That way his worker just pulls out the packet and they do it. That works for my ds.

Just checked, and yes apparently I am using their regular DWU Math as well as the problem solving math. There you go. They also have Brain Teasers books.  There's another Puzzles and Games that Make Kids Think. These kinds of books are really fun!!

I do our real instruction level math with Ronit Bird stuff, so for me the TCR materials are about seeing it in a new context, making sure he can understand word problems, etc. The amounts for each day are small. When I make a packet, I'll often pull pages from several different sections. The units stand alone, so I might give a page of geometry, a page of graphing, a page of word problems, if that makes sense. And each page is two "days" worth, but a day might only have two questions. And there will be those brain teaser and thinking pages. I try to make sure he has one page like that for every two pages of regular stuff. 

The extreme dot to dot books are really challenging! Timberdoodle also sells geography puzzles. They include art kits in their grade leveled kits and doodling books. I usually just buy whatever they put in the kit and go by that for figuring out what is appropriate. My ds runs on the young side for that. Their logic games are AWESOME and could be assigned as independent work, absolutely.

Also, have you considered making a little homemade chess club? Like if they had a chess or checkers app on their tech, they could do that as part of their independent work. Then once a week they could come together and play. :) Also consider strategy games for your older. Agricola, Forbidden Island, etc. They can play them as apps to improve and then play with friends.

Do they have any favored art or handicraft?

I know I'm saying a lot of art and elective stuff here. But really, kick things up. My ds watches documentaries, listens to Great Courses. He just has so many mature sources, he really doesn't need more of that. Would they like to do a Sonlight core using audiobooks? I like the catalog BARD sends out quarterly. We always highlight it. Now I'm starting to go through the adult section too, looking for history books my ds would enjoy. I definitely wouldn't limit yourself to one section there or assume. 

They might need to go through all the back episodes of Good Eats. :D

Good luck! It can be really fun. Hopefully you'll find a diverse list that scratches their itch. :)

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 3

Mystery science for science.

SOTW audiobooks.

Lots of other audiobooks. Many libraries have audiobook options. We use Myon. Diagnoses of dyslexia can lead to a learning ally (paid subscription), or local BARD use for audiobooks if your library is mediocre. We use audiobooks for living history books.

Lots of documentaries.

Reflex math for math facts (or ixl).

• Like 2

I'm laugh-crying with you.

My child who tried to listen to Apologia on audio calls her the "crazed squirrel lady".  There is just too much content presented at too high a rate of speed for him to enjoy the audio.  We've had better luck watching Nature and Nova episodes and doing experiments from Janice Van Cleave's series.

The SOTW audio is good.  We have gone light on map work, but have hit some of the better crafts in the activity guide.

Thanks.  I had not heard the audio reading for Apologia.  That is good to know.  I will check out the nature and Nova episodes.  I think i have a Janice Van Cleave experiment book on one of my bookshelves now that you mention it.  I haven't look at it since I bought it though.  I will check it out.

That is also helpful to know about SOTW audio.  I may look at using parts of of the activity guide as an option.  My oldest enjoyed listening to some of this in the past, but we didn't do anything else with it at the time.

Mystery science for science.

SOTW audiobooks.

Lots of other audiobooks. Many libraries have audiobook options. We use Myon. Diagnoses of dyslexia can lead to a learning ally (paid subscription), or local BARD use for audiobooks if your library is mediocre. We use audiobooks for living history books.

Lots of documentaries.

Reflex math for math facts (or ixl).

Thanks for the ideas.  I just learned today about an audiobook book option our library has so will explore that more this month.  I don't know what BARD is though.  I have thought about getting a learning ally subscription, and may do that if our library doesn't have as many options as I would like.

Do you have certain documentaries on netflix, amazon, or DVD format that you highly recommend?

I will look at reflex and IXL math again.  We have used DreamBox the last couple years, but always end up hitting road blocks and eventually work through them.  We've hit another roadblock and am done and not planning to renew at the end of this month.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I put my responses below in red.

I haven't tried the apologia audio, but you might be able to slow it down in ereader software. Or if you can get the book as a pdf, you could use VoiceDream. BJU has reader capability in their e-text. It's not a human voice, but it's a reader. BJU is actually really, really good, but watch samples and see if it works for them. If they have attention issues, it might or might not work.

Thanks.  DD9 seems to do okay listening to most audio at normal pace, but I will check into the VoiceDream option.  I have never heard of that app or software.  I haven't looked into BJU at all either and will check into that more as well.  The DD9 has some attention issues, but not too bad, but DD6 has more of a struggle with attention.

The VP self-paced, for as much as I love it, is going to be a real stretch for non-readers. I'm not using it with my ds, because the quizzes require tons of reading. They're going to memorize events and dates, play games ordering text, take quizzes, etc. It's a lot of reading. Maybe I'm misremembering. Just depending where they are, even a little might be too much.

This is helpful.  I didn't know that about VP self-paced and that is definitely not what I am looking for next year with a lot of memorization of dates, quizzes, etc.

Audible has Great Courses. Agree with the recommend of documentaries, etc. My ds is avidly into History Channel, science shows, etc.

I have not hear about Great Courses before, but will look into them.  I don't have access to the history channel and am in a rural area, so netflix, amazon streaming, and DVDs are what we are limited to with shows, but will check out these options further.

Are you connected to BARD? I've never looked for an audio of Hakim, but BARD might have it.

What is BARD?

This is just my two cents, but you might try diversifying your approach, rather than assuming what you're looking for is more history and science. If they're watching videos of some kind and you buy a couple lab kits or boxes to try, you've got that covered, boom. So then diversify! Do you look at Timberdoodle? Your younger will enjoy the Djeco art kits. Timberdoodle always has great, great stuff. Their doodling books are WONDERFUL. They have art kits, logic games, super dot to dots, etc. etc. Get this kind of stuff and call it school! It's enriching, and it builds really valuable skills. We do this stuff! My ds can't necessarily do them *independently* but that's because of how he is with his autism. He couldn't do the drawing, etc., so our worker actually schedules in doodling every session.

I have never looked into Timberdoodle.  I will check it out though.  We do have quite a few logic games and puzzles around, but I am not always good at pulling them out on a regular basis.  I should start making some of them part of their school day as the kids would find them fun and something to look forward to on a regular basis.  I will check out the other kits, games, and exercises too.

They can write from prompts (Listography, Unjournaling, etc.) using tech. They could make videos. Teacher Created Resources sells ebooks of computer/tech projects for kids. They're thoroughly explained and really cool! They also have ebooks on learning to use apps. You can filter the search for say 4th and then by topic.

Computer Projects Grade 2-4

Using Apps and the iPad in the Classroom Grade 3-6

We've used some of the K-2 apps book, and it's really good! It's kind of just enough.

My ds also enjoys Scratch coding. I guess you'd have to see if your older can do work with the text enough. In reality it requires reading, ugh.  Scratch that.

Back to TCR. I really like their stuff! It works well for my ds where we want really concrete, clear tasks that don't require instruction. If you look under math, you'll find 

Challenging Graph Art

Coordinate Graphing: Creating Geometry Quilts Grade 4 & Up

Math Challenges, Grades 4-6

Daily Warm-Ups: Problem Solving Math Grade 4

They have more graphing art, cut and paste for math and science, etc. etc. Lots of really cute stuff! I know I've also gotten brain teaser type books from them that have gone over HUGE. And sure the math will have reading, but it's usually like one sentence, maybe two. If they can't read it, then I would consider putting a reader app on a phone and letting them use it. Or you could load the pdf and use (Claro? I forget) to read and type right in the document. I don't use the regular Daily Warm-Up pages, but we really like the problem solving ones! Or maybe I use the regular ones too? I forget. I usually buy a bunch of books and print them, then I go through chapters and collate them into daily work packets that I paperclip. That way his worker just pulls out the packet and they do it. That works for my ds.

Just checked, and yes apparently I am using their regular DWU Math as well as the problem solving math. There you go. They also have Brain Teasers books.  There's another Puzzles and Games that Make Kids Think. These kinds of books are really fun!!

Thanks.  I've seen you mention Teacher Created Resources on here before, but never checked them out in the past.  I will look into options they have as well.  Both girls like different types of puzzles, brain teasers, etc. so will look into more options for them to have available next year and make sure I actually schedule them into our school week.

I do our real instruction level math with Ronit Bird stuff, so for me the TCR materials are about seeing it in a new context, making sure he can understand word problems, etc. The amounts for each day are small. When I make a packet, I'll often pull pages from several different sections. The units stand alone, so I might give a page of geometry, a page of graphing, a page of word problems, if that makes sense. And each page is two "days" worth, but a day might only have two questions. And there will be those brain teaser and thinking pages. I try to make sure he has one page like that for every two pages of regular stuff. 

I am looking to change up a little bit of our extra math practice this year.  I will look at those materials as well and see if they would be a better option for us or not this next year.  I have one using MUS and am adding in some CLE for the review and other items and the other child using a combo of Ronit Bird and RS level A.  The "fun" online games for practice we are tired of and need something else that will be a better fit for next year.

The extreme dot to dot books are really challenging! Timberdoodle also sells geography puzzles. They include art kits in their grade leveled kits and doodling books. I usually just buy whatever they put in the kit and go by that for figuring out what is appropriate. My ds runs on the young side for that. Their logic games are AWESOME and could be assigned as independent work, absolutely.

I looked at their geography puzzles and we already have the ones I saw online at Timberdoodle.  DD6 would like the idea of dot to dot books.  I will look at their logic games more too as I thought I noticed some different ones I hadn't seen before.

Also, have you considered making a little homemade chess club? Like if they had a chess or checkers app on their tech, they could do that as part of their independent work. Then once a week they could come together and play. :) Also consider strategy games for your older. Agricola, Forbidden Island, etc. They can play them as apps to improve and then play with friends.

I was thinking about having some art/craft days with friends as DD9 and several of her friends are very artsy/crafty.  DD6 would rather play with dolls with friends. :)

Do they have any favored art or handicraft?

DD9 loves drawing.  This year she went through two levels of How to Draw by Barry Stebbing.  His painting DVD interested her and may be something I do as well.  DD9 also wants to learn to cross stitch and has been learning how to knit on a loom.  She wants to sew as well, but I need the time and space to have all the sewing items set up to do much work with her on that, which is not a high priority at the moment.  Both girls have enjoyed Home Art Studio DVDs in the past.  DD6 is more into lacing cards, beads, and things like that.  DD6 has some retained hand reflexes I need to work on which will help her fine motor more and I know it will help her enjoy some of these activities even more.

I know I'm saying a lot of art and elective stuff here. But really, kick things up. My ds watches documentaries, listens to Great Courses. He just has so many mature sources, he really doesn't need more of that. Would they like to do a Sonlight core using audiobooks? I like the catalog BARD sends out quarterly. We always highlight it. Now I'm starting to go through the adult section too, looking for history books my ds would enjoy. I definitely wouldn't limit yourself to one section there or assume. 

I never considered Sonlight using audiobooks.  I will definitely look more at several of these suggestions as well.

They might need to go through all the back episodes of Good Eats. :D

Good luck! It can be really fun. Hopefully you'll find a diverse list that scratches their itch. :)

We tried Apologia audio and it was a disaster. First the discs would only play in a computer and not a CD player. Then when I tried to download the files they sorted themselves into random order and I had to go back in and manually adjust each track. Finally, the narration was just horrible. I don't recommend their audio at all.

• Like 1

What about ordering Tinkercrate for the year? The kids ger simple hands-on science, and you don't have to collect any supplies or Research explanatory text - it is all in the box. Most kids love getting mail. http://www.kiwicrate.com/Refer?i=SherylG4

BJU online is great. You will still need to be there for support with written work, but the hard lifting is done for you. That said, there is generally far too much material for average learners to cover in a reasonable amount of time, so if your child is working even slower, you will need to make sure to cut them off at a certain point or assign less. I love their English (for grade 2 and up), Math, and Science.

• Like 1

What about ordering Tinkercrate for the year? The kids ger simple hands-on science, and you don't have to collect any supplies or Research explanatory text - it is all in the box. Most kids love getting mail. http://www.kiwicrate.com/Refer?i=SherylG4

BJU online is great. You will still need to be there for support with written work, but the hard lifting is done for you. That said, there is generally far too much material for average learners to cover in a reasonable amount of time, so if your child is working even slower, you will need to make sure to cut them off at a certain point or assign less. I love their English (for grade 2 and up), Math, and Science.

Thanks. I will look at those as well.

Seconding Mystery Science, there's little to no prep and even if you don't do the experiments/demonstrations the videos show you what happens in the demonstration. I have been amazed at what my kids have remembered from these short videos this year and how they've applied it in the real world.

We read aloud one chapter a week from SOTW and do the map work and the kids color the coloring sheets, no other activities. I could easily see just playing the audiobook while the kids colored from the AG or just draw their own pictures of what is going on instead and calling it good.

Those of you who have tried apologia audio is it the one from the company or the one on Learning Ally? We have used the ones on Learning Ally and liked them. Actually Learning Ally has quite a few textbooks. Do a search to see if they have any you like. Also wanted to mention something I came across yesterday. Worldly wise has an online option with audio available to those who need it. It looks great and you can get it through homeschool buyers coop for $39.

SOTW audio is well done.

You could add http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Geography.htm

for memorizing countries and capitals.

I second the hands on stuff but only if it is easy as I often find myself helping put together projects etc. It may cause a mess which will frustrate you. If you have to pick up the project before you do Barton because they are on the same table then you have less time before the baby needs you again. Things like a spot on the floor where he can leave out a Lego project or marble run is fine. Games that the 2 older kids can play together without you would be a nice option.

Honestly with a new baby read alouds when I was nursing was easy. It was everything else that was hard.

Perhaps overlapping things that you have to do with science. My children seem to remember my mini lessons better than anything else while they were helping me cook. What is steam? Why does it condense on the window? What are the states of matter? Why is the batter moving to the outside of the bowl? What part of a plant is a fruit? How about a potato? What is it made of?

When walking to the park we might talk about how a tree grows, it's principal parts. What kind of cloud is that?. If you don't know the next nursing session could be reading the cloud page of the science encyclopedia.

Don't feel you have to have a lesson every single meal prep time or it will burn you out but adding it when you see an opportunity will help your child become fluid in science language. Use real terms like mass and density.

• Like 1