Menu

What's with the ads?

Arctic Mama

Spinoff! Dream home ;)

Our dream home that has been delayed several times now.  Is pretty basic but with some unique features to fit us DH works shift work so somethings were planned with that in mind.

1.5 stories with a basement.  The 1/2 story will just have a master suite including its own laundry. and roof deck.

The main floor has a Guest suite, Kitchen, Living, & Dining rooms. 2 car garage

Basement is kid zone with 2 bedrooms, bathroom,  laundry and Family rooms.

Wrap around porch. 2 Acres, Pool and a 30x40 shop for projects. Plus my parents are planning to build their own guest house on the property.

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 1

Don't forget to consider how sound travels through the heat/AC vents.

Yup. That and allergies are big reasons we are doing radiant heat.

My dream dream house would have tinted/uv treated windows and retractable shades over the pool and laser cut decorative screens around bits of the outdoor kitchen for extra shade. Because, seriously, when you live in eternal summer it can be brutal. There'd be a mounted tv so that I could watch movies from the pool after dark.  And I want a strawberry margarita machine (virgin, because I don't drink alcohol). 

Unfortunately, my budget for my current deck remodel really only covers the margarita machine and the 16' boards that I need to replace.

• Like 3

I'm actually pleasantly surprised how few of us want McMansions compared to what appears to be the norm. Big enough and highly functional seems to be what I'm hearing.

What do you consider to be a McMansion? I know people define that term in many different ways, so I'm curious. :)

Our dream home that has been delayed several times now.  Is pretty basic but with some unique features to fit us DH works shift work so somethings were planned with that in mind.

1.5 stories with a basement.  The 1/2 story will just have a master suite including its own laundry. and roof deck.

The main floor has a Guest suite, Kitchen, Living, & Dining rooms. 2 car garage

Basement is kid zone with 2 bedrooms, bathroom,  laundry and Family rooms.

Wrap around porch. 2 Acres, Pool and a 30x40 shop for projects. Plus my parents are planning to build their own guest house on the property.

We have 1.5 stories with the upstairs just being the master suite, loft (my office/pantry,) and a balcony.  It is THE best part of the otherwise impossible house, lol.  I love being up here!

• Like 1

It is so fun to read these!

My dream home:

Upstairs: 3 bedrooms (master, guest, and 2 kids), laundry/family closet room, and a full bathroom (well, sink, toilet, and shower - with a pocket door between the shower and toilet so one person showering doesn't close off the whole room)

Main floor; connected kitchen, living, and dining area, powder room, home library/study/school room

Basement: half of it designed for movies and board games, the other half designed for hubby's library/home museum (he collects historical stuff), plus a powder room

I would like the bedrooms in a cluster - like maybe 2 kid bedrooms on one side, a laundry/family closet room and bathroom in the middle (separated, maybe with a door between them), and the parent & guest bedrooms on the other side.

The guest bedroom would have the ironing board, sewing machine, yarn collection, etc. tucked in a wardrobe.

Something VERY similar to this. Are we related?? :cool:

Must be. 😠But my dream life would seriously be to spend most of my days outdoors hiking in the mountains or curled up near a huge window reading while gentle rain falls.

I've been living in an unfinished halfway remodeled home for a decade. I'm so done with that :lol:

We moved to my mom's unfinished house 8 (!) years ago. It's still not finished. I'm DONE with it too. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I'm even more confused now lol. I don't consider all those homes to be mansions so I don't know where the site gets its name.

When I watch tv shows with families that I assume are rich, like Chrisley Knows Best, I actually think their home doesn't look over the top (at least what I've seen on the air). Ok so I just googled it and it does look like a mansion from the outside and supposedly they are in lots and lots of debt. I wonder if that's true. Whoa.

What do you consider to be a McMansion? I know people define that term in many different ways, so I'm curious. :)

What goes up in our area are big-for-the-sake-of-being-big homes (4000+ square feet with maybe 3-4 bedrooms and just a handful of people living in them) with a hodgepodge of details and expensive, but generic finishes (like beige paint and the ubiquitous pizza granite) that are large but the space is wasted - like massive great rooms but still very little functional storage or a thoughtful layout. It lacks architectural thoughtfulness or character and is kind of a mishmash of all sorts of things that scream money but don't really improve quality of life proportional to the cost.

See this site for examples:

http://www.mcmansionhell.com/post/150926055196/mcmansion-hell-from-a-to-z-part-one-a-h

This site makes it into a practical drinking game :p

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 2

What goes up in our area are big-for-the-sake-of-being-big homes (4000+ square feet with maybe 3-4 bedrooms and just a handful of people living in them) with a hodgepodge of details and expensive, but generic finishes (like beige paint and the ubiquitous pizza granite) that are large but the space is wasted - like massive great rooms but still very little functional storage or a thoughtful layout. It lacks architectural thoughtfulness or character and is kind of a mishmash of all sorts of things that scream money but don't really improve quality of life proportional to the cost.

See this site for examples:

http://www.mcmansionhell.com/post/150926055196/mcmansion-hell-from-a-to-z-part-one-a-h

This site makes it into a practical drinking game :p

Uh oh. On the somewhat embarrassing side, at least one of my houses qualifies for your definition of a McMansion, and we are a family of three people.

In our defense, our houses aren't tacky or ostentatious-looking (we're pretty conservative about that,) and all of the windows in our houses line up properly and we don't have any of those wonky dormers or the gigantic columns or the garage-that's-bigger-than-the-house issue. So at least that's something, right? ;) We also don't have the generic features you mentioned, and there's plenty of practical storage. We've bought enough houses by now to not be swayed by first impressions; we need the practical features, too!

I can't believe anyone went to all the trouble of creating that McMansion website! It must have taken so much time and effort to put it together. That guy must really hate McMansions! :laugh:

Edited by Catwoman

Uh oh. On the somewhat embarrassing side, at least one of my houses qualifies for your definition of a McMansion, and we are a family of three people.

In our defense, our houses aren't tacky or ostentatious-looking (we're pretty conservative about that,) and all of the windows in our houses line up properly and we don't have any of those wonky dormers or the gigantic columns or the garage-that's-bigger-than-the-house issue. So at least that's something, right? ;) We also don't have the generic features you mentioned, and there's plenty of practical storage. We've bought enough houses by now to not be swayed by first impressions; we need the practical features, too!

I can't believe anyone went to all the trouble of creating that McMansion website! It must have taken so much time and effort to put it together. That guy must really hate McMansions! :laugh:

Nah, it doesn't sound like you have a McMansion - you just have a big house, and there's no need to be embarrassed about that! We have a big house and I love it.  :)

• Like 2

Without all the arrows and lines I hardly have any thoughts about some of the homes pictured on the site. I consider myself a detail-oriented person and to me a lot of that seems nit picky.

• Like 1

Haha! Don't take it personally - if you like it who cares what random Internet people think ;). The storage issue alone almost redeems it, as a lack of storage is such a major issue for many homeowners. I can get away with a lot less square footage if only the storage is thoughtful and useful. Your lined up windows also are very important for not looking like a random hodgepodge.

• Like 1

Without all the arrows and lines I hardly have any thoughts about some of the homes pictured on the site. I consider myself a detail-oriented person and to me a lot of that seems nit picky.

:iagree:

I tend to notice a lot of details, too, and I agree that all of those little arrows and lines were a little ridiculous. I thought some of those houses were very nice. If you want to be nitpicky, you can find something wrong with any house, and some of the complaints seemed very petty.

I sort of wonder if the person who created the website genuinely dislikes the styles of the houses or if he is just envious of the people who can afford them. There are so many styles of homes on that site that it seems odd that the guy would take issue with all of them. It makes me wonder what kind of house he does find attractive.

• Like 2

Haha! Don't take it personally - if you like it who cares what random Internet people think ;). The storage issue alone almost redeems it, as a lack of storage is such a major issue for many homeowners. I can get away with a lot less square footage if only the storage is thoughtful and useful. Your lined up windows also are very important for not looking like a random hodgepodge.

I'd like to see a picture of Website Guy's house so I could draw a lot of little arrows all over it to point out every last one of its tiny little faults. :D

• Like 3

Nah, it doesn't sound like you have a McMansion - you just have a big house, and there's no need to be embarrassed about that! We have a big house and I love it. :)

Your house wasn't on that website, was it? :eek:

:lol:

I love big houses, too!

• Like 2

I was just thinking about the window thing and it reminded me of a house we once looked at. At first glance, the house looked gorgeous. It was big and it was beautifully landscaped, and I loved it... until I started focusing on this one weird little window on the front of the house. It didn't look terrible, but it definitely looked like it didn't belong there. It was way too small compared with the other windows, and it wasn't even like there was another matching one on the other side of the house so there was some symmetry. It was just there. And I couldn't get past it. I liked everything else about that house, but that window ended up being a deal breaker for me. I'm sure the realtor thought I was a complete idiot.

• Like 3

I'd like to see a picture of Website Guy's house so I could draw a lot of little arrows all over it to point out every last one of its tiny little faults. :D

HA!

• Like 2

I want a colonial house. Something built in 1762 or some year like that. WIth a pretty yard in a picturesque town. It doesn't have to be big, but it needs to have its original suuuper-wide wooden floor boards and big fireplaces.

And it needs to come fully restored with running water and stuff, but still looks pretty much exactly as it did in 1762, but with a very carefully done new kitchen to seamlessly match the rest of the house.

• Like 1

I think the defining feature of a McMansion is the generic quality. I first heard the term years ago to refer to houses in neighborhoods where a single builder is also the developer, and they have a handful of floor plans to choose from. The buyer can choose fixtures, paint colors, etc. from the builder/developer's lists. So every house in the neighborhood has numerous nearly identical copies. 

Hence the term "Mc"Mansion, as in nothing is unique. A custom-built large home is not a McMansion. 

My house is huge, too, and I love every single custom choice I made when building it. Even the trim throughout the house is completely mine. The cabinet shop had to have a knife made to cut the trim in the shape that I wanted.

There's definitely no "Mc" in my "mansion." :lol:  

This house has a long list of features that I love. Lots of fireplaces, lots of kids' spaces, a HUGE pantry, a large mudroom, big trees in the back, a pool, a fire pit and a gorgeous neighborhood. I love my giant shower and my travertine bathroom with radiant heat under the floor that's big enough for all my kids (and dogs) to hang out in while I get ready in the morning. My kids all have their own bathroom, which is totally unnecessary but was something we wanted. Actually, the younger 2 have a Jack and Jill bath with their own sinks and vanities. I love our piano room. This house was a labor of love, and it's a lot to keep up with for sure, but I love it.

I hope everyone finds their unique dream house!

• Like 7

That's really pretty! They did such a nice job preserving the feel of the house while updating.

• Like 1

Something like this: https://www.houseplans.net/news/two-story-house-plan-benefits/

We built a bonus room above our garage with a balcony. The second story views were GORGEOUS. That's just one of the reasons I'd go with a full on two story if we ever build again.

I love those really 'homey' style traditional houses. They don't fit in much up here, more rustic/alpine homes have the right feel for the landscape, but for the east coast or Midwest I love a good arts and crafts, cape cod, or even federal style home.

• Like 2

I love those really 'homey' style traditional houses. They don't fit in much up here, more rustic/alpine homes have the right feel for the landscape, but for the east coast or Midwest I love a good arts and crafts, cape cod, or even federal style home.

It's the same here, but maybe not as particularly. The house we built was cut up, lodge style, and pretty much catered to the market. The next house we build though will be our dream home regardless within resale reason. I have simple, homey tastes, but DH not so much (ahem, expensive tastes). I have no idea how we'll work a design next time around. Lol. We disagreed a lot last time and I gave in to his preferences a lot too. He won't be so lucky next time. ;)

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

Small (1300 - 1500 sqft) with a nice kitchen, wooden double hung windows, dormers and a wide front or wrap around covered porch. Wood floors and linoleum or tile in kitchen and bathrooms. 1/4 to 1/3 of an acre at the most since we are getting older and maintenance is going to be an issue sooner or later. I would pick a couple of nice finishes like wood beams on the ceiling or complete pine ceiling in the living area. 2 bedrooms would be enough, 3 is okay and 1.5 or 2 bathrooms.

If you see a place like that PM me.

Because of my back issues, I don't want to clean the 2000+ sqft I used to have anymore. We lived on acreage but the upkeep would be too much now. I don't need that kind of space any longer since we are empty nesters.

Dream home is probably looking a little different depending on age bracket.

• Like 2

Small (1300 - 1500 sqft) with a nice kitchen, wooden double hung windows, dormers and a wide front or wrap around covered porch. Wood floors and linoleum or tile in kitchen and bathrooms. 1/4 to 1/3 of an acre at the most since we are getting older and maintenance is going to be an issue sooner or later. I would pick a couple of nice finishes like wood beams on the ceiling or complete pine ceiling in the living area. 2 bedrooms would be enough, 3 is okay and 1.5 or 2 bathrooms.

Because of my back issues, I don't want to clean the 2000+ sqft I used to have anymore. We lived on acreage but the upkeep would be too much now. I don't need that kind of space any longer since we are empty nesters.

I think the bolded is so true. What suits someone in the middle of their childbearing and rearing probably wouldn't have suited them before kids, and it probably won't fit them as well when everyone has flown the nest or they are getting on in years either, especially if their hobbies don't revolve around house maintenance, repairs, or gardening.

Your little dream house sounds adorable.

• Like 1

I love the look of old Victorians but appreciate the woodwork and simplicity/practicality of a basic American Foursquare with center halls/stairs and a mud room. 4 BR, 4BA, 2-car carriage house (for rental income) with enclosed portico. It'd be approx 3500 sq. ft. on 1/2 acre or less. I'd include a fully finished walk-out basement/laundry/rec room. I'd have an outdoor space w/dirty kitchen, brick pizza oven, TV and pool w/cover. The main level would have an open kitchen/casual living space on one side and an office/guest room on the other side with a full bath at the end of the hall. Upstairs would be three bedrooms, two on one side sharing a Jack and Jill bathroom and the master occupying the whole other side. Ahhh....a gal can dream.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

Yeah, to me, a McMansion is nothing more than a large-ish, mass produced house with little character.  My aversion is more specifically about plowing down a forest and plopping duplicates in rows.  Though I won't deny I can see how they appeal to some people.  Big house, less money sounds pretty good!

In my hometown, it is mostly rows of duplicate bi-levels built in the 60s and 70s.  My childhood house was originally a bungalow and had some big, personally designed additions, so I'm kind of predisposed to prefer the unique.

Now I have a somewhat unique house sitting on a block of mostly stock-planned colonials with many of the aspects of McMansions, but still in the woods.  My overall neighborhood is a strange mash up of the whole spectrum of architecture.  It's weird, and I kinda love it, lol.

• Like 1

I want to add radiant heat, a fireplace with a wood stove, a half circle driveway (I've always loved those - no idea why! Maybe because I see front yards as impractical but aesthetically necessary, this makes them more useful?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I tend to notice a lot of details, too, and I agree that all of those little arrows and lines were a little ridiculous. I thought some of those houses were very nice. If you want to be nitpicky, you can find something wrong with any house, and some of the complaints seemed very petty.

I sort of wonder if the person who created the website genuinely dislikes the styles of the houses or if he is just envious of the people who can afford them. There are so many styles of homes on that site that it seems odd that the guy would take issue with all of them. It makes me wonder what kind of house he does find attractive.

Yes, I think so, too. Who puts that much time and effort into making fun of McMansions? Someone who secretly longs for a McMansion of his own!  :laugh:

• Like 2

Your house wasn't on that website, was it? :eek:

:lol:

I love big houses, too!

Yes, it's the very first one and how dare he make fun of my phallic cupola!  :cursing:

(Not really. I don't have a cupola, uneven windows, or a single speck of beige paint. And I don't even know what pizza granite is, but I don't have that, either.)

• Like 3

I think the defining feature of a McMansion is the generic quality. I first heard the term years ago to refer to houses in neighborhoods where a single builder is also the developer, and they have a handful of floor plans to choose from. The buyer can choose fixtures, paint colors, etc. from the builder/developer's lists. So every house in the neighborhood has numerous nearly identical copies.

Hence the term "Mc"Mansion, as in nothing is unique.

he he. By this definition, my former house/Dream house was/is a McMansion. And, that's totally fine by me. As I said before, it's the function, not the form, that matters to me. I don't need my house to have character or uniqueness, I need it to keep us warm and dry and hold all of us. Doesn't matter to me if it looks like 50 other houses on the block :-)
  • Like 2

My dream home is smaller than the house we are currently in, but laid out differently so that the kitchen, dining and family room are huge and open (mine is open now, but not nearly big enough when we have all the kids/grandkids over). I'd have 3 bedrooms (one guest, one room for the grandkids, and one modest sized master - we currently have 5 bedrooms, and the 2 upstairs are really just a waste), 2 nice baths (right now our bathrooms are pretty small), a nice little laundry room, and an actual PANTRY - I really dislike having my food stored in the kitchen cabinets.

We have 5 acres right now, but I'd prefer just 1-2 with a nice garden and chickens, and my husband would have to have a nice shop (but nothing nearly as big as the one he has now).

• Like 1

Same here. Dh and I are 50 and 52 this year. Youngest just has two years of high school left. Dh's back is going to continue to deteriorate and my goal is to fairly quickly get a smaller place. Less mowing, no stairs,easy maintenance.....no remodel work. Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

My dream home:

3 bedrooms

2 baths

A master suite with a sitting room would be beyond wonderful

A mud room where I can do laundry on the main level with a shower for people who got muddy in the garden

Huge country kitchen with one counter that is just for appliances, an island that is the perfect height for working with dough

A large sunny room that could be made into a studio for my fiber work and my daughter's art

A library for all our books 

What I would settle for:

3 bedrooms

2 baths

washer/dryer on main level

Southern exposure for most of the house (I need that sunlight)

• Like 1

Oh, washer and dryer on the main level!  This house is the first we've rented like that, and it is *wonderful*. Definite improvement over going up and down the basement stairs (which itself was an improvement over going to the laundromat, and the laundromat an improvement on washing clothes in the bathtub, so on the whole I'm not complaining)

• Like 3

We're pretty much in the perfect house for us right now. I don't know for sure if that qualifies it as our "dream home" or not....a long time ago, my "dream home" would have been an old Victorian....I so love that style, from the outside. On the inside, a truly period one, not so much. 

But our house now is perfect for us. Thirteenth home in 19 yrs of marriage.....we've pretty well figured out what we need/want in a house, LOL, and were able to have this one built. Not custom, so by some definitions a "McMansion" (although, no one else in the neighborhood, at all, chose the paint color we did, so we do at least stand out there....and I love love love our paint color). 

Anyway, it's 3000+ sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage. Two stories, master bedroom downstairs, kids' bedrooms upstairs. The floor plan is perfect for how we live; entry off the garage (with a generous coat/shoe closet), dining room, kitchen with a breakfast bar that opens to the living room, HUGE pantry (under the stairs), guest bath/powder room downstairs (in addition to the master), huge back yard (we are on a double length lot, so even though we're in a McMansion/Cookie Cutter neighborhood, our backyard is about as big again as a normal lot). 

Upstairs two kid bedrooms flank a bathroom (not a Jack & Jill bath, though), and the bathroom has double sinks and a separate "room" for the tub/toilet, so the sinks stay available. Laundry room is also on that "hallway" and then in the other area is the 3rd bedroom, an office, an open room we have divided into game room & sewing room, and a media room. The office is big enough for all 3 boys' computer desks, plus has a generous book closet; the bedrooms all have good sized closets (2 of the 3 have large walk-in closets), the laundry room is nicely sized (fits the washer, dryer, 3 laundry baskets so I can sort clothes into them from the bathroom hampers, and storage shelf above plus room for a storage cabinet if we wanted but instead that's where we have the cat litter box). The office and media room have double wide doorways but not doors, which I like (and we could add french doors if we wanted, or those sliding barn doors), and the whole house gets lots of good natural light, w/o being direct East/West so we don't get glaring sun. 

We have enough space that we can host Thanksgiving comfortably, with any configuration of our families (his side, my side, etc.), and nor was it cramped when we had my son's graduation party with both sides. The many living areas mean kids, teens and adults can all spread out and be doing different things during family gatherings or when we have people over, and the layout is cozy enough that I can sew while the boys play Xbox and still feel like I'm not off isolated somewhere. 

We're still fixing up the backyard to be our dream backyard (dh has been dragging his feet on building a cover; we could have had a tiny covered patio built, but instead had them pour a larger patio the size we wanted, and we'll add the cover later....), but it's well suited to us already. We also had a double gate put on the side yard, so the dog has a dog door from the house to the garage, and garage to outside, and we can keep that side yard gated/closed on both ends so he only potties in that one area vs the whole backyard. 

Even with all of this, though, it's like Carrie said upthread....more house, less money.  We bought in a slightly more rural area too, to further drop the price/gain amenities to the house. At this stage of life (sending kids to college) we needed to not be maxed out on our budget...but still have room for everyone at home. I'd have enjoyed a house with more character, but we're painting and otherwise making it our own and honestly, I couldn't imagine a better house for us. I hope with all my heart it will be our forever house.....

Hence the term "Mc"Mansion, as in nothing is unique. A custom-built large home is not a McMansion.

My house is huge, too, and I love every single custom choice I made when building it. Even the trim throughout the house is completely mine. The cabinet shop had to have a knife made to cut the trim in the shape that I wanted.

There's definitely no "Mc" in my "mansion." :lol:

This house has a long list of features that I love. Lots of fireplaces, lots of kids' spaces, a HUGE pantry, a large mudroom, big trees in the back, a pool, a fire pit and a gorgeous neighborhood. I love my giant shower and my travertine bathroom with radiant heat under the floor that's big enough for all my kids (and dogs) to hang out in while I get ready in the morning. My kids all have their own bathroom, which is totally unnecessary but was something we wanted. Actually, the younger 2 have a Jack and Jill bath with their own sinks and vanities. I love our piano room. This house was a labor of love, and it's a lot to keep up with for sure, but I love it.

I hope everyone finds their unique dream house!

Like yours, our homes were custom built in neighborhoods where the houses are similar sizes but they all look different. I don't like the neighborhoods where all of the houses look the same. It feels like driving through Stepford or something! Often, the houses are beautiful, but they lose all of their charm because they're all too similar to each other.

If "generic and almost identical except one house is beige and the one next door is light gray and then the next one after that and the one across the street are both beige again" is how most people define McMansion, I think my houses are safe. :D

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

Yes, it's the very first one and how dare he make fun of my phallic cupola! :cursing:

(Not really. I don't have a cupola, uneven windows, or a single speck of beige paint. And I don't even know what pizza granite is, but I don't have that, either.)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I may never look at a cupola the same way again.

• Like 1

That was interesting from a design principle viewpoint, but since when are McMansions defined by poor design and symetrry?

I had never heard that, either. That's why I was curious about how others defined the term, because where we live, a McMansion is a huge, beautiful home built on a smaller lot instead of on a few acres or more. They are usually built by the same builder, but they're not really generic because the buyers have so many design choices, and they're definitely not matchy-matchy inside or outside.

I had also never heard of McMansions as being inexpensive. The first neighborhood in our area of what we called McMansions was built back in the early 90's and the cheapest house cost over a million dollars. The same houses would have cost a lot more than that if they had been on larger lots, but they still weren't cheap.

It's interesting how there are so many definitions of the term.

• Like 2

I love the look of old Victorians but appreciate the woodwork and simplicity/practicality of a basic American Foursquare with center halls/stairs and a mud room. 4 BR, 4BA, 2-car carriage house (for rental income) with enclosed portico. It'd be approx 3500 sq. ft. on 1/2 acre or less. I'd include a fully finished walk-out basement/laundry/rec room. I'd have an outdoor space w/dirty kitchen, brick pizza oven, TV and pool w/cover. The main level would have an open kitchen/casual living space on one side and an office/guest room on the other side with a full bath at the end of the hall. Upstairs would be three bedrooms, two on one side sharing a Jack and Jill bathroom and the master occupying the whole other side. Ahhh....a gal can dream.

Oh, thank you for sharing. I think I'm in love too! I followed a link from the site you posted to see some interiors. Simple yet stunning: https://www.homestratosphere.com/american-foursquare-interior-design-photos/

The second more modern on is my fave.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

That was interesting from a design principle viewpoint, but since when are McMansions defined by poor design and symetrry?

I thought Amy's link had some interesting design points. I must be subconsciously looking for some kind of symmetry and balance because I do not like those "unbalanced" examples visually.

• Like 1

I had never heard that, either. That's why I was curious about how others defined the term, because where we live, a McMansion is a huge, beautiful home built on a smaller lot instead of on a few acres or more. They are usually built by the same builder, but they're not really generic because the buyers have so many design choices, and they're definitely not matchy-matchy inside or outside.

I had also never heard of McMansions as being inexpensive. The first neighborhood in our area of what we called McMansions was built back in the early 90's and the cheapest house cost over a million dollars. The same houses would have cost a lot more than that if they had been on larger lots, but they still weren't cheap.

It's interesting how there are so many definitions of the term.

Yes that is more the definition I have heard....HUGE homes, small lots. 

• Like 2

I thought Amy's link had some interesting design points. I must be subconsciously looking for some kind of symmetry and balance because I do not like those "unbalanced" examples visually.

Me too.  And I've always like a certain symmetry in design.

• Like 1

Actually their lack of balance and proportional oddity on the layered rooflines is a key feature from an architectural mishmash perspective. Always has been. It's only house nuts who notice but it's one of those 'wrong' things that strikes a lot of people when they see one and they oftentimes can't verbalie or identify. Off proportions unsettle people but it's very subtle :)

I already told my husband our next place needs to feel balanced and integrated into the landscape, and all he did was raise his eyebrow and toss a 'golden mean' back at me with a sniff of indignation at the fact that I'd ever question his commitment to proportional, aesthetically pleasing, practical design. Love that dork :D

• Like 5