Menu

Sonlight Core 100 vs Story of US and LIghtning Lit

I used SL 100 with the tests from Hewitt. On the SL forum, there was even a "study guide" you could use to prep for the Hewitt tests--it's probably still up there somewhere.

Sorry I didn't compare the lit, so can't comment on that--just wanted you to know that it's possible to mix the two.

• Like 1

I did the same thing as Merry this year with my dd with the Hewitt tests. 

In addition, we used IEW Advanced U.S. History-Based Lessons instead of SL Lit. writing prompts.  It has worked out to be a near perfect match for SL Core 100.  The only big change we made was to add Uncle Tom's Cabin to go with a major IEW assignment (replacing a few books my dd had already read in the SL Literature section so we could add that one classic to our schedule.

Sorry, I do not know about LL, but I can tell you that we have LOVED our Am. History and Lit choices this year!

Edited by Omma
  • Like 2

I'm planning on using SL 100's History part--using those study guides Merry mentioned upthread to write my own tests-- and adding in LL's Early to Mid 19th Century Literature.  (Mid to Late 19th Century would have worked as well…)  Personally, I liked SL's daily History of US better than Hewitt's weekly History of US schedule.  

This is for a younger 9th grader, who needs part of this course to be easier (the history) and part of the course to challenge him (Lightning Lit).  I thought more than half of SL's lit choices for this core were too light *for him*.  He had already read some of the selections and I knew he wouldn't take being made to go through them again.  I do think that SL's writing assignments in the IG looked interesting, and I plan on adding some of them in as I can. 

I do plan on doing the history and the lit parts of the core as written when his younger brother does the core in a few years.  He has less reading "muscle" than his brother, and I think the lit choices will work well to keep him engaged but not overwhelmed.  

• Like 1

Another thing I considered when comparing LL to SL's lit--- cost.  

The four books in LL's package were at the library/on my shelf already/free for the kindle.  SL's lit package (even at used prices) was more than my budget can do right now.  I chose to spend the $ on more of the history selections in the SL core. 

• Like 1