Menu

memory foam insoles for tennis shoes....which ones?

kfeusse

we are taking a trip to Washington DC really soon and I want to buy some insoles for my shoes.  I go to amazon and there are so many and the reviews are crazy...good and bad. So, I thought I would just ask here...if you own a pair that you really like, what kind are they?  

thanks.

Since you got no replies, I'll just say that for me arch support from the insert is *much* more important for all-day comfort than memory foam, gel, etc. For a trip like that, I would have a broken in, not worn out pair of sneakers, and I would have in them good inserts. Superfeet | Superfeet Insoles & Footwear These are what I use. I get them at the running store. Actually, they have shoes now, nifty! I have a pair of their flip flops that I use at the gym when I get out of the shower. 

• Like 3

I was going to say the same thing as OhElizabeth.  Superfeet insoles provide the arch and heel support you need to keep your feet from hurting.  Memory foam just gets lumpy and hot.  The first thing I do when I buy any shoes is tear out the insoles and put in Superfeet.  If you have questions about sizing, I'd be happy to try to help.  All my kids wear them as well.  Oldest dd was the last one to comply.  She was home a couple weeks ago for spring break, and she made a point of thanking me for "making" her wear Superfeet!  I get them from Amazon.

I didn't know they made flip-flops.  I need to look for those.

• Like 2

I have not had good luck with the foam/gel.  Sometimes it seems to get molded into a certain shape and then it rubs on my feet the wrong way.  I ended up with a callous on one of my feet due to memory foam.  So I threw those shoes out and now I avoid the stuff.  It sounds great in theory, but not so much in reality from my experiences.

• Like 1

I didn't know they made flip-flops.  I need to look for those.

Don't ask what they cost, lol. They were like $50+, horrible. The soles are really hard and of course molded with the arch support. They're just not what you think for like comfy, squish around flip flops! I wanted something I could throw on after showering at the gym, and I have to walk through the parking lot, etc. (I park two buildings away, so it's a hike!) So they're not pleasurable flip flops to me, but the arch support does work. 

Hmm, is that a heady endorsement? I have no clue, lol. They were just surprising to me. I bought them anyway because I was there, had the right size (I'm hard to fit, big feet!) and really wanted them. But they're not what you expect. But they work, and that's the point. 

• Like 1

Firstly, you have to make sure that your tennis shoes have an insole that can be removed and replaced with another one. Secondly, go to a specialized running store and you'll get to try out a few different kinds of insoles. Every foot is different and what works for me won't necessarily be the best solution for you.

Superfeet saved me! I have a low arch and bought the blue Superfeet for my plantar fasciitis. Amazon has the best prices. If you are on the upper limit for the size, go up a size and then cut it to your size so the arch fits in the right spot. They are worth the money!

The cheaper brands break down quick.

• Like 1

so the superfeet ones....are they of the kind of quality that they will last for years and years....kind of an investment deal? 

They're only $50. You wear them, and when the plastic starts to craze around the heel and have white streaks, they're worn and should be replaced. I've had my current pair a year and a half. I'll replace them when I replace my shoes. Usually what I do is rotate them to less used shoes. So my current ones will go into a pair of boots and my new ones will go in my new sneakers. That's what my dd does with hers too.

Fwiw, I'm not a serious runner. If you are, you'll go through them faster. It's all just obvious wear and tear. But it's how your body breaks down the plastic structure over time, not a lack of quality or workmanship. Mine still look like new, very nice.

I just had a friend over.  She cleans my house.  She has suffered for years with her feet.  By the time she finished today, her heel spur was screaming and she was limping badly.  I mentioned that I'd been through that (heel spur) and that nothing hurts worse, but that it doesn't bother me anymore.  She asked what I did to help, and I told her about Superfeet.  I went to the closet to get my shoes to show them to her, and found two pair of Superfeet that my dd has outgrown.  She was unimpressed because they seem so hard and stiff.  I explained how the heel cup supports the edges of the heel, preventing your weight from pressing in the middle.  I also pointed out the arch support, and how fallen arch causes fasciitis.  My friend pulled out the insole she had gotten from a podiatrist, and put the Superfeet in.  It fit!  She tried it on and couldn't believe the difference!  She put the other one in and started walking around.  She said she was ready for another six hours!  (kidding, of course).  Her feet felt sore from being on them all day, but nothing like the pain she had five minutes earlier.  I dug out another outgrown pair, and gave her both.  She is so happy!  She walked better instantly (her feet didn't turn in, she wasn't limping).  I can't recommend them enough.  I look forward to hearing from her in a few days how they did over time.  

• Like 1

I just had a friend over.  She cleans my house.  She has suffered for years with her feet.  By the time she finished today, her heel spur was screaming and she was limping badly.  I mentioned that I'd been through that (heel spur) and that nothing hurts worse, but that it doesn't bother me anymore.  She asked what I did to help, and I told her about Superfeet.  I went to the closet to get my shoes to show them to her, and found two pair of Superfeet that my dd has outgrown.  She was unimpressed because they seem so hard and stiff.  I explained how the heel cup supports the edges of the heel, preventing your weight from pressing in the middle.  I also pointed out the arch support, and how fallen arch causes fasciitis.  My friend pulled out the insole she had gotten from a podiatrist, and put the Superfeet in.  It fit!  She tried it on and couldn't believe the difference!  She put the other one in and started walking around.  She said she was ready for another six hours!  (kidding, of course).  Her feet felt sore from being on them all day, but nothing like the pain she had five minutes earlier.  I dug out another outgrown pair, and gave her both.  She is so happy!  She walked better instantly (her feet didn't turn in, she wasn't limping).  I can't recommend them enough.  I look forward to hearing from her in a few days how they did over time.  

That was very generous of you, but I would not have given away my own used shoes to an employee while in my home for someone with an on-going foot issue. What are your legal obligations now if she develops more severe foot issues because she won't go to a dr or get her own footwear. These commercial in-soles could potentially just result in more problems with time. You don't know that, and now you have some responsibility for this person.

You could have put the shoes at the curbside and told her they are not a gift and she did not receive them from an employer. 

Edited by wintermom

wow....that is quite a story.  

I just went on Amazon and they had a variety of kinds and colors of these...how does one begin to know which one to try? Does it matter...are they all similar?

High arch green, low or flat arch blue those are the most tried and true. Do wet foot test to see your arch

If you read the description of each of the colors, it might give you an idea.  Basically, you'll need to determine whether you want the high profile arch or the low one.  Then, note how high your shoes fit around your ankle.  If they fit low, then you'll want a "low volume" insole.  Then, read the special characteristics of each color.   I've only used the Green and the Blue, but after quickly perusing the choices on Amazon, I noticed the following. 

The Green are the original Superfeet (from 1976).  They haven't changed much.  They have a high arch and a "full" volume (meaning they take up a decent amount of space in the shoe. )  If you need this much support, you will need shoes that fit high enough that your heel doesn't slip with the insoles inside.

The Blue insoles are basically the same, but they're lower.  The arch support is "medium", and the volume is "medium", so it fits in more styles of shoes.  I prefer the Blue for most shoes (except my high tops).

The Pink ones are made for women.  I've never tried them, but I might.  It looks like the heel is narrower, so they'll fit in narrower shoes.  

Looks like the Orange ones are the same as the Green, (high arch, high volume) but they're made for high impact.  Running and sports, perhaps?  They apparently have more or better foam cushioning.  I'm not clear on the details.

The Black ones are probably for dress shoes.  "Low" arch and "Low" volume.  They don't have the wide heel bed that the other styles do.  

The Copper ones have memory foam, so they "mold to your feet for a customized fit".  They appear to have the high arch and full volume of the Green insole, but Amazon doesn't give the full description for the Copper.  You can probably find a fuller description on the Superfeet website.

I've only tried the Green and the Blue.  I currently have Green ones in my high top sneakers and Blue ones in my hiking shoes and my boots.  I have wide toes, but a medium heel.  I might get some Pink ones for my dressier shoes.

According to Superfeet, their insoles last 12 months, or 500 miles.  I have used mine for several years, but I don't wear the same shoes everyday.

As for sizing, you order within a size range, then cut to fit.  Simply pull the insole out of your shoe, lay it on top of the Superfeet insole, draw around it with a Sharpie, then cut with scissors.  If your shoe size is at a border, think about your heel.  If you have a narrow heel, get the smaller size.  If it's medium or wide, get the larger size, and cut the toe section to fit your shoe.

Hope this helps.  Let us know if you have more questions.

And enjoy your trip!

I wear the pink ones. Fwiw I wear a 10.5 women's running shoe, and they fit great. I pop them into my size 10 shoes (boots, etc.) and they're great there too. The running store people picked the pink ones for me. I'm sure it depends on your feet. 

You're probably not saving much money on amazon guessing. You might just use the vendor locator and find someone who sells them. To me, if I had *more* support than I needed that would be uncomfortable.

• Like 1

I wear the pink ones. Fwiw I wear a 10.5 women's running shoe, and they fit great. I pop them into my size 10 shoes (boots, etc.) and they're great there too. The running store people picked the pink ones for me. I'm sure it depends on your feet. 

You're probably not saving much money on amazon guessing. You might just use the vendor locator and find someone who sells them. To me, if I had *more* support than I needed that would be uncomfortable.

Good idea.  Take in the shoes you're planning to wear on your trip, and see which Superfeet work best.  The running store people are trained, I believe, to help you select the best size/style for your feet and your shoes.  

It's good to know about the pink ones.  I may try those next (may wait until after I try the sandals). 

I was fitted for Superfeet insoles by a physical therapist five years ago. I can't recommend them enough. She was recommending them over custom orthotics in most cases.

I have to replace mine once a year, but I have significant problems in my feet and ankles. In fact, I'm going back for PT on Friday and will have her refit me just in case something has changed!

• Like 2