Menu

Considering AP Environmental Science for 8th

I'm considering having dd do APES for 8th grade. Math-wise she'd be finishing Foerster Algebra 2 and probably doing some AoPS Intermediate Algebra. It looks like a lot of topics that are interesting to her. Can an 8th grader take APs still?

After that, would it make sense to do AP Physics 1 for 9th? Then what- AP Chem for 10th? Calc based Physics for 11th? Where would Bio go? She's doing regular high school bio now.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Has she had high school chemistry?  If not, I'd do that in 8th.  You could combine it with a regular high school physics course if you wanted.  Then AP ES in 9th, AP Bio in 10th, AP Chem in 11th, and AP Physics C in 12th.  

• Like 1

She has not had chemistry, and I think she'd have a friend in chem, so a potential lab buddy. Not sure about doubling up with physics. That sounds like it could be a heavy course load. I intended to a physics-first thing, but she wants to do a year of astronomy next year. Maybe I should do physics with that? She'll be in 7th next year and already did DO's physical science. 

I was kind of thinking of AP ES as an "interesting" class and a chance to cover some topics in things like geology that get the short shift in high school, but I'm not sure I want to give it a whole slot in 9th grade. Things to consider...

Thanks!

APES is a lot easier after having chem.

D's order of science:

--the old AP Physics B (this was when she thought she was headed into math for college)

--chem

--APES and bio the same year but diff semesters

--math-heavy astronomy

She is graduating a year early. The physics was during her 8th grade year.

• Like 2