Menu

College level text books for high school

We live in a university town and there is a Half Price Book Store 40 minutes away.  I can easily find used college books for $1-2 in town at the Goodwill plus many more at HPB for a few more dollars.  I would like to take advantage of this.  

Courses I would use these college level books for would be  possibly science, geography, maybe some other social studies, and electives.  I would not use them for math or english related courses.  They would be listed as the spine but as my dd is a visual learner; they will be used more as supplement to Great Courses, documentaries, MOOC, Udemy, and other online resources.  We will not be attempting to read the entire books but will read select chapters and/or sections to correspond with other materials we are learning from.

At this point, she is leaning towards CC rather than attending said University.  Books will be listed on course descriptions but not the transcript.

Any foreseeable problems with my doing this?

Don't see why this should be a problem. I only ever used college texts for my high schoolers, because they are far superior to the low quality ps texts.

Books will be listed on course descriptions but not the transcript.

Books never go on the transcript anyway; that will just have course titles and grades.

• Like 3

No, the only issue is that you don't want to accidentally get a book that presupposes a prerequisite she hasn't had. For example, you wouldn't want to accidentally get a calc-based physics book when you were expecting algebra-based, or pick up a book that looks cool but is actually for an advanced elective. In order to evaluate this, you can google the isbn of the book and find out what college classes it's usually assigned for. 

• Like 2

The only issue I can see is that some instructor materials are easier than others to obtain. The textbook may be inexpensive, but a teacher edition or other materials like solutions manuals like tests may be harder to obtain on the used market, or very difficult or impossible to obtain from the publisher, if you wanted to use the textbook as the main instruction and practice for a course rather than just for reading material.

Don't see why this should be a problem. I only ever used college texts for my high schoolers, because they are far superior to the low quality ps texts.

This.  We stick to college texts for all subjects unless an appropriate alternative cannot be located or is simply too expensive to consider.

• Like 1