Menu

Updated in #1: United Airlines flight Oversold (?) in Chicago - Violent removal of passenger

Lanny

This is what CNN Money reported:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/12/news/united-airlines-oscar-munoz/

"Even though he only started work in September, Munoz made $5.8 million as CEO that year. Most of that was a $5.2 million signing bonus, according to regulatory filings. The rest was salary, stock awards and other compensation.

United has not given full details of Munoz's pay last year, his first full year on the job. But the company said his base salary was $1.25 million. Munoz also received $6.8 million in stock that will vest over three years, and he can get an additional bonus worth at least $10.5 million."

• Like 1

here's his pay:

Munoz became CEO in 2015 after his predecessor resigned amid a federal corruption probe.

Even though he only started work in September, Munoz made $5.8 million as CEO that year. Most of that was a $5.2 million signing bonus, according to regulatory filings. The rest was salary, stock awards and other compensation.

United has not given full details of Munoz's pay last year, his first full year on the job. But the company said his base salary was $1.25 million. Munoz also received $6.8 million in stock that will vest over three years, and he can get an additional bonus worth at least $10.5 million.

one of the reasons they do bonuses - is to bypass tax laws.

Well and also the way salaries go on the books- you don't want a bunch of crazy high salaries on there so for companies exec base pay usually isn't extreme.

While I agree that there is the possibility of a racial undertone to this, I honestly don't think that is the biggest reason he was treated so poorly.  I think mainly it was because the climate has changed.  United has a really pretty bad reputation for how they treat ALL passengers.  They treated the situation as United has all the rights and the passengers have none.  (DH ran into this over and over after United and Continental "merged".)  They made a mediocre attempt to offer incentives for passengers to give up seats but the corporate policies prevent employees from doing terribly much right there in the moment beyond the two mediocre attempts.  

Passengers are not seen as someone they want to keep but as commodities to be shifted around as needed for the corporate office to maintain their profits.  They know they have a lot of passengers over a barrel with airline options and they know that many people are just going to suck it up for a cheap fair and so they know they don't have to do too much to keep their customers.  They treat them accordingly.  

I agree. I think in this case race didn't matter. He would have been treated like a commodity no matter his skin color.

We booked a long haul flight in Jan on United.  Leaving in about 6 weeks. ughhhhh.

Who knows where the fallout will have landed in 6 weeks time. Maybe by the they'll be bending over backwards to make you happy. (You can hope so at least).

• Like 4

I think that they are gambling on people forgetting about it within a few days. I hope that they are wrong on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the number of people talking about this now, and mocking them now, pushing back against them when they've tried to smear him,  I'm hopeful they're dreaming.

• Like 3

Here is the doctor being "belligerent":

This is the perfect example of how the official records often do not match the reality.

There is nothing belligerent about this man in this incident. Nothing. 

Thank God for cell phones and recording devices. In the past, the records were generated almost exclusively by those in power. Now there is recorded evidence that shows what happened. The ability of the regular man on the street to record is a game changer.

• Like 10

I had missed that.

Was it ever relocated? I mean it's been nearly a week.

I guess lost is not a great word for it. They left his luggage on board when he got kicked off, then shipped it a couple hundred miles away from his address where he was "staying".

Idk if the address was the hospital or an original destination.

• Like 1

Really????

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/bride-and-groom-removed-from-united-airlines-flight-/431763609

I'm sorry but  I'd think that they would be falling all over themselves to please customers!!  There was someone in their seats.  Since the plane was half-empty, they sat a few rows up rather than wake him.  Those seats were economy plus instead of economy, so they got in trouble.  Considering the PR nightmare, you'd think that United personnel would be automatically upgrading people to better seats if they were empty. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be video proving they were civil (though I don't doubt them considering United's track record.)

Their response:

"We’re disappointed anytime a customer has an experience that doesn’t measure up to their expectations,

the airline said in a statement.  "These passengers repeatedly attempted to sit in upgraded seating which they did not purchase and they would not follow crew instructions to return to their assigned seats. We’ve been in touch with them and have rebooked them on flights tomorrow."

• Like 2

If the 10K is cash and not vouchers/gift cards, I hope Delta needs my seat on the 29th!

:D

I know.  I'm flying next Monday the 24th.  I've already checked, my flight is full :)   My husband is flying from another state and we are meeting up but our connecting flights are on a partner airline.  Wonder how that would work?  Could we end up with $40K???   A person can dream LOL  

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

Edited by zimom
  • Like 2

one of the reasons they do bonuses - is to bypass tax laws.

I'm not sure I understand this. Every time I get a bonus, it gets taxed at the highest tax level -- as if I was getting that amount on a regular basis instead of a one time thing.

I don't have the firmest understanding of this, but from what my dh explains to me, it's not bypassing tax laws. It's rather about how things look on the financials, and on year end to the investor reports and the board. You don't want giant salaries on the books. That's bad. So instead you bonus out and those can be profit dependent. So if you bonus out of that I think it can help defray what you're reporting as actual profit. I think that's where the tax benefit to the employer comes in. However, many execs have their bonses written into the comp agreements, so they are pretty much guaranteed except for some fine print that makes it known that in certain financial situations those bonuses can be withheld.

That being said I'm no where near a CPA. That's just what I've learned from being on the wife end of dh's job and asking questions. But I don't ask a lot of technical stuff. :)

Another United rep told her to just go find a hotel for the night and come back in the morning. She asked this person if the Airline was going to pay for that. Of course the answer was no so she said she had had enough and would be getting a lawyer. At that point the rep decided to find her bag. Took ten minutes. 10 minutes! But they wanted her to pay for a hotel and come back tomorrow.

!

Oh. My. Goodness.  I would have had steam coming from the top of my head and fire shooting from my eyes.

• Like 4

Both dh who travels a lot and I have had no problems with United but lots of problems with Delta.  We won't fly them.  But we flew Southwest for our family vacation to Arizona this last December and dh and I are flying Southwest in August for our Utah/Idaho (solar eclipse plus more) vacation.  Also I am waiting for Southwest to open up their bookings for most of November to get dd home from LAX after her study abroad in NZ.  

If I understood the article about Delta's bumping policy, they basically ask you to name your price when you pick up your boarding pass, like a silent auction. I'm not sure anyone is going to say less than $9k now. lol. 

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/how-delta-masters-the-game-of-overbooking-flights/

I think that would be ideal.    

• 1 month later...

My senior is flying up to visit my college kiddo this morning.  My college son booked the flight using priceline.  I dropped my senior off at the United curb this morning.  He just texted me telling me the flight is overbooked, and they are asking for volunteers to take another flight.  Here's hoping this overbooked flight has a happier ending than the one responsible for this thread. :eek:

• Like 1

My senior is flying up to visit my college kiddo this morning.  My college son booked the flight using priceline.  I dropped my senior off at the United curb this morning.  He just texted me telling me the flight is overbooked, and they are asking for volunteers to take another flight.  Here's hoping this overbooked flight has a happier ending than the one responsible for this thread. :eek:

Heck, yes.  Hoping it goes smoothly and no one gets injured.  Hang in there.   Odds are he and his fellow passengers will be just fine.  Honestly, the big problem with the other flight was that passengers were already on board and seated.  Much harder to get people to leave a plane they have already been seated on.  If they are asking for volunteers before even boarding it shouldn't be an issue.  Maybe some harsh words if no one volunteers but I doubt anyone would physically fight their way onto the plane.  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Heck, yes.  Hoping it goes smoothly and no one gets injured.  Hang in there.   Odds are he and his fellow passengers will be just fine.  Honestly, the big problem with the other flight was that passengers were already on board and seated.  Much harder to get people to leave a plane they have already been seated on.  If they are asking for volunteers before even boarding it shouldn't be an issue.  Maybe some harsh words if no one volunteers but I doubt anyone would physically fight their way onto the plane.  :grouphug:

Thankfully, some passengers took the offers, and he got on the plane.  This is his first time flying by himself, which made me a little more nervous.

• Like 3