Menu

For heavy users of Great Courses: video vs audio?

We have been using the audio, mostly in the car, filling in our understanding for already outsourced classes.

But next year they will be a primary source of learning because we will (hopefully!) be travelling. What I'm wondering is whether there's any incremental advantage to watching the video vs audio? Is it more engaging? Thank you!

We prefer audio lectures for the car, too, especially when it's obviously just a straight lecture with minimal graphics. Lit classes have worked well for us on audio only.

The art lectures usually only come in DVD, for obvious reasons.

I do wish the Great Courses site made it clearer whether the video format was definitely better for specific courses. We listened to one about ancient battles. Then I had to return it to the library and could only get the video format one. We watched the lectures over lunch and they were _so_ much better w/ the video bec he had pictures of the area where the battles had taken place, so you could get a sense of what the terrain had probably been like. He also had diagrams to show the different movements of the two sides. It was so good! Well worth the time to sit and watch. 

• Like 1

Now I'm wondering whether we're missing anything from only listening to Greenberg's 30 Greatest Orchestral Works. We've listened to parts of other Great Courses, and so far, this has been the most captivating one, not because of the subject itself. BTW, is it possible to have a crush on someone you've never seen before and only heard over audio?

• Like 2

It obviously depends on the audience but it also depends some on the subject matter.

We've done mostly audio so far (one on British History, one on Forensic Science, the History of Food, How to Think like an Economist) but we're doing Geology on video which has been good as there have been quite a few graphics, charts. diagrams, etc.

I do wish the Great Courses site made it clearer whether the video format was definitely better for specific courses. We listened to one about ancient battles. Then I had to return it to the library and could only get the video format one. We watched the lectures over lunch and they were _so_ much better w/ the video bec he had pictures of the area where the battles had taken place, so you could get a sense of what the terrain had probably been like. He also had diagrams to show the different movements of the two sides. It was so good! Well worth the time to sit and watch.

This is what I'm wondering. Something like three lectures on the Silk Road, maybe better to have a map or visual in front of you...