Menu

MUS Algebra

Whether or not it's challenging depends on your child's preparation and why you've considering MUS.

I love MUS Alpha-Zeta.  But I would not use their higher level products unless my child had a special need for them or I was planning to follow it up with a standard course.

• Like 2

My kids use MUS alg as pre-alg (combined with the geometry book covered in a single yr) after Horizons 6. It has been a simple transition and they have all typically made 100s on every assignment. (Those 2 MUS books are the only ones I am familiar with.)

We follow MU alg and geo with another full yr each of alg and geo using more thorough, advanced texts.

MUS algebra is graphing heavy.  They start with graphing right away.  I think this is different from other programs.  We started Algebra 1 with oldest dd but it was not a great fit.  She was coming from Saxon 1/2 and wanted to try something different.  I think the mastery approach was not a good fit for her.  She actually liked the Saxon approach better and stayed with Saxon until Pre-Calc, when we switched over to Lials.  Youngest has used MUS for Pre-Calculus and Calculus 1.  It has been a good fit for her. 

Curious thoughts about MUS algebra for an 8th grader ... and also if walking into this MUS course as a first year MUS user would be challenging or not.

Age is not the important factor--always use the placement tests to know where to start if you are switching programs. The upper level MUS programs worked well for my kids.