Menu

Concerned about negative reviews of SOTW

I was about to order SOTW for next year on Christianbook.com and I noticed a bunch of 1 star reviews! They all suggest that this curriculum negates Christian teaching and the bible? I thought that this book was supposed to be fairly neutral, and I was under the impression that it was compatible with a Christian based education. Am I wrong about this? I am fine with history being taught separately from bible, but obviously I wouldn't want it to negate it. 

Can anyone give me any insight into this? Is there a more "bible friendly" curriculum that I should look into? I have heard that MOH is similar, but more geared towards older children. My son will be in first grade, so I'm not sure that he would be ready for that. 

Those reviews are ridiculous!

MOH gets progressively more expensive as it goes along. I have no tolerance for high price tag "Christian" curricula that claim to be so much better from a Christian stand point. Christianity is NOT about the wealthy being the only ones with access to Christian education!

• Like 9

We love it. It tries to be religiously fairly neutral, I guess, although there is more emphasis on Christian themes than on others as a group. My guess is that the people who gave it a low rating aren't happy unless on every page the information somehow relates back to Christ. MYstery of History can be sort of preachy and is definitely way over the head of almost any six year old. My excellent reader found it to be a bit much until fifth grade but we had to use it for a coop. I don't need every curriculum to have scripted references back to my faith--my job as a parent is to insert those ideas.

ETA mystery of history makes a point to point out all the errors of all other faiths in light of the Christian one. soTw just gives a respectful discussion of all the cultures and faiths and leaves it up to the parent to make statements about ones personal faith.

Edited by MotherGoose
  • Like 13

We love it. It tries to be religiously fairly neutral, I guess, although there is more emphasis on Christian themes than on others as a group. My guess is that the people who gave it a low rating aren't happy unless on every page the information somehow relates back to Christ. MYstery of History can be sort of preachy and is definitely way over the head of almost any six year old. My excellent reader found it to be a bit much until fifth grade but we had to use it for a coop. I don't need every curriculum to have scripted references back to my faith--my job as a parent is to insert those ideas.

:iagree:

I actually find the practice of constantly name-dropping God borderline sacrilegious. There are several otherwise excellent curricula I can't consider for that reason.

If it helps the OP any, SOTW's Amazon reviews are full of secular folks complaining that it's too religious.

• Like 13

The bigger problem with MOH is that it gets out of reach quickly for a young elementary child.  You may feel you could adapt it for 1st grade, but by their 4th edition, you are in high school level.   I am pretty conservative Christian when it comes to history and have no problem with SOTW.  I've used a lot of history programs out there (MFW, TOG, HOD) and most of them I find to be pretty neutral overall as far as history goes.  SOTW is no different in my opinion.  I didn't feel like it was negating what I was teaching my children from the Bible.  If you are wanting a more Christian history curriculum, you may look at Heart of Dakota.  They tend to use older out of print history books that have a more Christian feel to them, but also have some cultural stereotypes about certain ethnic groups/ races that make many people cringe a little.  

• Like 2

Oh, man.  I went and looked at the reviews.  I shouldn't have.

The first showed a lack of position (not to mention spelling and grammar).  The person was upset that projects representing other cultures are included in the program - making a mummified chicken, or a temple, for example, and is upset that equal weight is given to other cultures' beliefs beyond Christianity (it is biased Christian, which is one issue we have with it).

The second is upset that the first chapter is on the nomads, not Adam & Eve.  I guess they skipped the introduction of "What Is Archaeology?" and how it is all woven together.

There are more who are upset that Egyptians and others are studied and shown how they lived without filtering it through What We Think God Was Doing With Them, which I find to be a more offensive display of culture than how SoTW shows it.

Others are upset that Abraham is shown as being pagan before being Jewish.  Since Genesis doesn't say, and they never read Joshua 24, they're mad that they don't know.  Same goes for the birth of Christ and the conflict there.  I'll give the one the point on Abraham's father living for years after he parted ways with his son instead of dying like the book says.

All in all, it's a decent introduction to world culture, but not if you want to look at life from a singular point of view and pigeonhole every event into that view.

• Like 7

I think if you have a very strong, very specific view of ancient history in Biblical times - whether it's from a Christian, atheist or other view - then you're likely to be disappointed by SOTW 1 just because it strives to be very middle of the road, just the facts, here's the highlights as far as we know. I don't know that it always succeeds well enough for everyone - it's a tricky prospect for that first volume. But it is definitely not out to negate anything.

If you're interested in having a book that is particularly focused on Christians and their history, you will be disappointed by the whole series.

• Like 7

We abandoned the book in part because it was too Christian for us.

I know that some who believe in young earth creationism (the world being around 6000 years old) dislike the first chapter of SOTW as it presents a scientifically accepted view of prehistory. If that's an issue for you, skip that chapter.

• Like 3

Don't you think "christian" is a broad enough umbrella that at some point it becomes apparent that a "christian" education probably means different things to different people? If you want your materials to constantly look back to Christ, have a Providential viewpoint, be focused on developing the character (BJU calls it "nurturing Christlikeness"), etc. etc., obviously SOTW makes no attempt to do that. 

You're going to get lots of opinions. If you actually want to know what it is, get it from the library first and read and decide for yourself. If you haven't thought through your OWN definition of christian education, to know what you're trying to do and how you want to get there, then that's a totally different topic and different reading list. Both would help you at this point. You don't want to rely on filtered, 2nd hand opinions about what it means to live out your faith and teach your kids. Read up on philosophies of christian education (BJU has white papers on it, other publishers have written on it) and think it through.

Personally, I don't use SOTW straight. This year I decided to use the SOTW AG activities with my ds, and I paired them with my materials from VP. That fits us better.

• Like 4

If your library has Overdrive, you should be able to download an eBook version to read.

Most capital cities give free cards to all residents of the entire state. Most capital cities have extensive online resources that can be accessed from anywhere in the USA. Overdrive is a frequent online resource for even small town libraries. Overdrive carries almost all of the TWTM books, but libraries choose which ones to buy. There is a request to purchase feature.

Amazon sells the kindle version of SOTW cheaply. The Kindle version of MOH is broken up into volumes and quite expensive.

• Like 3

Teaching the Bible accurately is very important to me and I've never​ found a conflict with the history presented in SOTW. It is excellent and a fantastic springboard for conversations with your kids that are more specific to your worldview, especially if you do additional reading and learn and discuss more about the cultures and characters. It's been such an amazing program for our family.

• Like 4

Those reviews are ridiculous!

MOH gets progressively more expensive as it goes along. I have no tolerance for high price tag "Christian" curricula that claim to be so much better from a Christian stand point. Christianity is NOT about the wealthy being the only ones with access to Christian education!

That's a bit unfair. I know plenty of people who use MOH (and similarly priced programs) and none are "wealthy." You've seen the threads, I'm sure, regarding homeschool budgets and you know that many people put aside money all year to get the programs they want. There is nothing wrong with the authors of curricula charging decent money for their time and effort (and publishing). 

OP, the SOTW program is absolutely compatible with the Christian faith and Christian teachings. In fact, most secular users (or those who of another faith or denomination other than protestant -- like this particular Catholic) have to tweak it.

Edited by AimeeM
  • Like 1

That's a bit unfair. I know plenty of people who use MOH (and similarly priced programs) and none are "wealthy." You've seen the threads, I'm sure, regarding homeschool budgets and you know that many people put aside money all year to get the programs they want. There is nothing wrong with the authors of curricula charging decent money for their time and effort (and publishing).

OP, the SOTW program is absolutely compatible with the Christian faith and Christian teachings. In fact, most secular users (or those who of another faith or denomination other than protestant -- like this particular Catholic) have to tweak it.

I don't think the price matches the author's professed worldview, and many people's professed reasons for using this curriculum instead of some other similar programs. I just find it inconsistent.

I have almost no sense of right and wrong left, but inconsistency and inefficiency stand out to me. And it has been pointed out to me that my elevation of consistency and efficiency is just yet another worldview, that is just as unfair to inflict on others, and I am the ultimate inconsistent person. I'm still evaluating that. In the meantime, I find MOH one of the curriculums I suggest skipping if being used over another for SOME specific reasons.

In general, I don't care what authors charge. There are too many bigger problems in the world than to focus on expensive books. But if an OP asks if they need a certain curriculum to reach their explicitly stated goals, I'm going to answer them about how to most efficiently reach those stated goals.

I think Martin Luther King's kids holding so tight to the copyright on the I Have a Dream speech is inconsistent too. Believe me, I don't single out just Christians when it come to pricing that excludes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Total rubbish. SOTW is completely compatible with a Christian faith. To the point that some secular users find it needs tweaking for their purposes.

And confirmation #4.

I has heard that SOTW was not strong on Biblical history when I picked it up. I didn't find it incompatible at all. 

If you feel you need to supplement with Biblical history I can recommend CAP's God's Great Covenant OT1 and OT2. For younger grades, consider doing it orally.  GGC OT2 has tied in nicely with our ancient history study this year. However, I consider it part of our Bible study NOT history.

Personally I think studying the Bible is important, and understanding it, and the history of the Jews, is important. However, I don't believe a history book is designed for that, unless it is clearly labeled "Biblical history" or something like that. 

• Like 2

SOTW is great. We teach religion and history and I haven't had a problem with it so far. I want my kids to know about all cultures,not just my own. Adam and Eve are part of our religious studies, nomads are part of our history studies. I really like that SWB is respectful and enthusiastic about other cultures as well as her own.

• Like 1

We love the SOTW series, too!  I've read through the entire series twice now - all four books.  (And we're Lutheran - pretty religious here.) 

SWB's history AND writing curricula really is the best out there in the homeschool world (IMO).

• Like 2

We love the SOTW series, too!  I've read through the entire series twice now - all four books.  (And we're Lutheran - pretty religious here.) 

SWB's history AND writing curricula really is the best out there in the homeschool world (IMO).

Hey, I'm Lutheran too! :cheers2:  (But the Lutheran perspective plays into why I'm skittish about Christian content. Too often, "Christian" means distinctive theology not all Christians share, which sounds like what might have been going on in those reviews.)

• Like 4

Without reading previous responses...

I write curriculum reviews. I've also used a fair amount of curriculum in 11 years of teaching children at home. You will never find a curriculum that has 0 negative reviews & 100% positive reviews. You CAN skew those odds by looking on the authors websites, looking at reviews only written by die hard fans, etc.

I have used SOTW with more than one child & am still using it with one. I have no qualms with SOTW, my children enjoy it. Do I think it negates Christian teachings? No, I don't, but ymmv depending on your beliefs. I think the biggest problem that people have is that they are comparing it with MOH which is heavily Biblical. Having said that both curriculums have their time & place, but if I could only pick one at the younger level it would be SOTW because it's engaging & the kids remember what they hear.

In our home my children have done SOTW at a slightly older age than many & thus they've listened to SOTW & MOH together & find them complimentary not contradicting. History is biased, but so are the people who read it, kwim? If you're REALLY worried about it, I'd go to the library & see if you can find a copy to read through & gain your own opinion.

• Like 2

There has always been a debate among classical HSers who are Christian about teaching pagan myths and the stories from non-Christian religions Some folks feel that they are important from an educational standpoint, while others are opposed. The latter group has a problem with SOTW and a lot of the criticisms you will encounter stem from that.

I have used both SotW and MoH.  SotW is not incompatible with a Christian education but it is not as Bible centered as MoH.  I really liked the way MoH incorporated the Bible and church history into the program.

MoH is really written for 4th-8th but it can be used for younger kids too.  The first vol has the shortest lessons (but is the longest book).  I found the writing in MoH a little more engaging for dd.

I know SotW has the activity book but I like the activities in MoH better.  I found them easier to do and work into my day.  They do sell coloring sheets to go with MoH too.

It is really just a preference in the writing and material.  Both are good programs.  You could even do SotW for a couple of years and then switch over to MoH if you wanted to.  I would look at samples and see which one you think would be easier for you and more engaging for your particular child.

I personally like using SoTW because it emphasizes the humanity of politics, and tells world history as a story at a level I think is appropriate for kids. As someone who believes Genesis is history, I actually prefer to use history resources that leave out Bible stories. I skip the chapters in SOTW on Joseph, Moses, and Jesus. I like to read Bible passages right from the Bible. And I have no problem with where SOTW begins because it describes what historians know happened after the Tower of Babel. Since there are no reliable records of anything before that besides the Bible, I prefer to use the Bible itself as our history source. I view myself, not books, as the teacher of my kids, so I use lots of resources, including secular ones. I expect all books to contain errors, so the level of errors I are comfortable with may vary from what others are comfortable with. As for errors in SOTW, I don't think the Bible stories were told outright erronously so much as emphasizing certain information differently than what is traditionally expected in some circles. And since it is a world history book, of course it will add extra-Biblical info to Bible stories. That is the whole point of studying history. I noticed a couple of reviews on CBD had a problem with the Abraham story, but they were only looking to Genesis for their info and ignoring Joshua 24 (Abraham's father was a pagan) and Acts 7 (Steven mentions the death of Abraham's father).