Menu

Pulling out of Montessori (rising 3rd grader)

CrunchyGirl

My job situation is likely going to change drastically over the next few months which will allow me to go back to homeschooling our kids (I'm so excited!!!)

I am having some heartburn about our rising 3rd grader. With our son I've used SM, BA, and now AOPS. But my daughter has thrived in the Montessori environment and I feel like math is something I need to be thoughtful about. I'd prefer to use SM and BA but I worry it will be too big of a jump. It does appear that many of the manipulatives they use in her classroom (checker board, racks and tubes, etc.) are available as iPad apps so that could help bridge the transition.

If you were going to move a child who had completed 1st and 2nd grade in a traditional Montessori school to being home schooled, which math curriculum would you seriously consider?

I think using SM is compatible with the idea of Montessori. You can always spend more time on the "concrete" bit and use the manipulatives she is comfortable with, and even use the apps you found as a supplement to the "pictorial". I might just consider having her start off in 2A or 2B instead of going straight to 3A, depending on what she is comfortable with. (This is in no way "behind" as I'm sure you already know from your experience with SM!)

• Like 1

I used MM when I pulled my oldest out of monessori in 4th.  I don't see anything wrong with SM and/or BA for after montessori.  In my experience, the early years of montessori provide a great foundation for math.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

Go for Singapore 2A/B, and add in some supplements that use manipulatives:

- 1-100 Number Chart Activity Book
- Hands On Math book series
- Apple Fractions book
- Thinking Kids Math book series
- Sir Cumference book series
- attribute blocks and booklet
- geoboard and booklets
- pattern blocks and various booklets
tangrams and booklets; "tangoes"
- hundred number chart and booklet
- clock and a time-telling activity guide/book
Mathlink cubes and booklets
- bucket balance and activity guide
- cusienaire rods and booklets
- dice and activity booklet
- dominoes and activity booklet

Complete Book of Time & Money

- Math Discoveries series -- Pattern Blocks (gr. 2-3); Tangrams (gr. 2-3); Geoboards (gr. 2-3)

- download print work pages to go with pattern blocks, geoboards, tangrams, etc.

- play board/card games involving math -- money, making change, place value, add/subtract (Monopoly, Life, Racko, Muggins, etc.)

• Like 1

I transitioned my DS from Montessori to homeschool at third grade. We started with Math in Focus and he did great. We never tried anything different until he finished 5B. We went really fast through it because a lot of it was just intuitive for him. I LOVE what Montessori did for him. :) I think Right Start would be the same things over again and would bore her, if she's near where my DS was when he started 3rd. I'm willing to bet she's ready to fly. 

• Like 2

I bet Montessori gave him a good number sense and good start in math. I heard Shiller is very Montessori like if you want to stick with Montessori methods but I bet he would do well with Signapore too. You can use some of those type of manipulatives with Signapore and the apps you talked about too. Signapore does has a placement test and I would go by that for placement.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 1