Menu

What do you replace soda with?

Outdoorsy Type

Water is obvious, I drink a lot of water.

I feel better with caffeine, but can't do coffee and oddly I feel headachy with very much tea. I do drink a cup of kombucha daily.

With soda I'm up against regular = too much sugar and diet = evidence showing people gain waist circumference from it.

Ideas?

• Like 1

Well, personally I've lost over 50 lbs since I switched from regular to diet.

That being said, I'm in the process of switching away because of the cost. Like you, I found I don't function very well without caffeine -- I went 2 weeks without none after tapering (so didn't really have withdrawal), and I found that I was just not able to adult, either at work or at home. I was scraping through work things at the last minute and my home went completely to pot. 

So I ordered 100mg caffeine tabs off amazon (I found later that Fred's (pharmacy chain) sells them more cheaply) and I have one every morning and if I have an afternoon when I need to be on the ball I have another around noon. It's working pretty well so far. 

I like La Croix, but have found that Dasani sparkling water tastes more soda-y. Though that still doesn't solve the caffeine issue.

I've heard of people using sparkling water to brew iced tea. I'm trying that right now, and will update if it seems worthwhile.

I chew gum instead.  It's the sugar craving that gets me every time.  I replaced with earl grey tea and eventually stopped drinking hot tea.  Now mix half glass of water and half glass of unsweetened tejava tea.  If I drink soda every day, it packs on 5 pounds quite quickly and then takes a month of no soda to drop it again.  

I add lemon to my water.  if I want more flavor - I'll add crystal light.

I also drink ziko? coconut water.  (sometimes.)  I can feel the electrolytes it contains.

have you tried herb tea?  (I don't add sugar to any of them.)  I've always enjoyed peppermint.

I recently tried throat comfort from yogi.  wow.  it. is. so. yummy!  I don't care if my throat isn't sore - it's yummy!

Iced tea... I prefer it unsweetened but if that doesn't appeal you can slowly accustom yourself to it by gradually reducing the amount of sugar you add each time you make it. Some of the herbal or fruit-flavored teas are better than black tea for drinking without sugar. Hibiscus in particular is excellent.

If you are open to naturally sweetened, zero calorie soda, you might try Zevia. They have their own versions of Coke, Dr. Pepper, Mt. Dew, etc.. They are a bit of an acquired taste but not too bad. 

Everly flavored water mixers are under 5 calories, are naturally sweetened and come in caffeinated versions.

I like the simplicity of La Croix (no sweeteners) and plain club soda. 

• Like 1

If I need some caffeine, I like Avitae sparking waters with natural caffeine.  (It's green coffee bean extract, I think?)  I add a splash of no sugar added juice to mine because even flavored sparkling water is not great to me.  lol  Our grocery store has it--my dd works there and orders it for us by the case!

https://goavitae.com/products/sparkling/

• Like 1

I finally kicked a decades-long daily cola habit with iced tea. Started with pretty sweet and gradually decreased the sugar until now I just drink it barely sweet. I know water is better but I feel much, much better without the soda. And now when I do have a Coke it seems SO syrupy sweet.

Now I'm trying to up my water intake and cut back on the tea. It's a process. ;)

• Like 2

If you still want a fizzy drink, try this:

Get some seltzer water and frozen juice concentrate, thawed.

Gently mix the concentrate with the seltzer in the same proportions as you would water. Or experiment if you want a less-strong flavor.

I keep the concentrate in the fridge and mix it up one glass at a time.

We stayed doing this to avoid dyes in sodas.

I like to brew flavored teas. I have a LOT of tea at my house, so I just brew the iced tea with whatever fruity herbals I have around. I keep hibiscus tea brewed for DH because it helps with blood pressure. He also likes unsweetened iced green tea and fold brew coffee. I agree with the poster who pointed out your headaches could be caffeine withdrawal. I drink tea all day long, but if I have a soda I'm wired because it has SO much more caffeine. I don't drink coffee. Maybe take some Tylenol until you adjust to the low-octane stuff.

• Like 1

In the summer, dh likes sparkling water or club soda with fresh lemon and fresh lime juice and a hint of honey poured over crushed ice.  Very refreshing!

I like homemade lemonade with stevia

Sparkling or still water with just a splash of juice (like cranberry).  I do mean just a splash...maybe a tablespoon. 

Sun tea

I like to brew flavored teas. I have a LOT of tea at my house, so I just brew the iced tea with whatever fruity herbals I have around. I keep hibiscus tea brewed for DH because it helps with blood pressure. He also likes unsweetened iced green tea and fold brew coffee. I agree with the poster who pointed out your headaches could be caffeine withdrawal. I drink tea all day long, but if I have a soda I'm wired because it has SO much more caffeine. I don't drink coffee. Maybe take some Tylenol until you adjust to the low-octane stuff.

Same here, unsweetened iced tea. There really are a lot of flavor choices. If you don't mind a bit of sugar from real fruit, slices of lemon, lime, and/or orange are nice additions, as are slices of fresh peach or mango.

Water with lots of lemon juice or a little kombucha diluted in it.

Herbal teas, like rooibos, peach, peppermint, chamomile any of which can be made into iced tea.

You can get Soda Stream (but don't use the junk flavoring that comes with it) and create fizzy water into which you can splash some juice for a little flavor. Delicious. :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EPEALGU/ref=asc_df_B00EPEALGU4932066/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00EPEALGU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167151781903&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10849410788530798169&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032622&hvtargid=pla-273582617880

I gave up a pretty big soda habit (well, almost gave up--I occasionally have one if I go to a fast food place, or rarely at home). It upset my stomach, and I didn't like all the farting later, to be TMI and honest!

We drink water. I have hot tea sometimes, and coffee, but if I have coffee, I put creamer and sugar in it, and I gain weight on it (or seem to). 

I can't have Stevia as it disrupts my hormones. Before meno, it would give me my period back. 

Geez, so much TMI--sorry!

Not all tea is created equal. What kind of tea are you drinking? Is it bagged or loose/full leaf? If it's bagged, throw it away because it's not quality tea.

Also, are you drinking black, green, or white tea? Or "herbal"? All of that will make a difference. That being said, it's interesting you should bring it up, I found a few years ago that the more I drank tea ( a good quality loose leaf tea), the less I wanted coffee. Somehow since then I've transitioned back to more coffee than tea but my body is giving me signs that I need to go back to the loose leaf tea. There are SO many health benefits to drinking a quality loose leaf tea! Souviadotcom has over 140 choices of loose leaf teas. I think I've tried most of them! LOL

HTH!

Note: a quality loose leaf tea is not cheap. You won't get the "bagged tea price" because the quality is so much different.