Menu

Fat ankles and summer wear

Laura Corin

I'm 54, not overweight, and reasonably active (walking, yoga, some running). I have fat ankles. I will be mentioning this when I see the nurse practitioner next month, but in the mean time, have you any summer wear ideas? Scotland is not hot, but there are days when it might be nice to wear shorter trousers or a longish skirt. I don't want to be emphasising my least pretty part though.

Any thoughts about trousers, skirts or shoes? I don't wear heels and don't want to start. Shorts would definitely be too chilly. This would mostly be for somewhat relaxed office wear.

Edited by Laura Corin

I think you need to mostly ignore the fact your ankles are bigger than you like unless you have edema.  I would wear clothing I like and just be sure it doesn't hit right above the ankle. Lighter fabric, a little looser long trousers, skirts that are shorter or longer but not just above the ankle. We have warm weather and I'm fine with long pants . Clark sandals or flats work well  for everyday. Some are sleeker in style than others. Skirts just below the knee are around again. I pay attention to style but I've already had my styling high heel days. 

• Like 3

Sandals..

Don't wear any that strap around your ankles. Go with the kind you just slide your foot into. Similar to this style: https://www.steinmart.com/product/sanrah+circle+wedge+sandal+4490553.do?gdffi=288466fb46db4ce6bd5b488f591c4ba7&gdfms=5F92C494846F475B821BA6797CD70DBE&gclid=CLGjsda8l9MCFUW1wAodKPsKlQ

Otherwise, any summer clothes should be fine.

Thanks.  I think I need to look for more coverage though - summer days rarely reach 70 degrees F, so it's more likely to be lightweight shoes than very uncovered sandals.  I'm thinking of below the knee dresses/culottes with loafers or similar.  I can keep some cropped leggings in my bag in case the temperature drops.

Edited by Laura Corin

Truly, for those few super warm summer days you have, I'd just wear whatever I really enjoyed and felt comfortable wearing. Who cares about the ankles? If you're really self-conscious, perhaps wear loose fitting capris that don't hug the calf.  If you wear really colourful shoes, it's going to draw attention to that area, so stick with more muted colours.

When I lived in northern Alberta, I could count the super warm days we got on my fingers. I really didn't give a hoot about exposing less-than-perfect body parts for those few days, and neither did anyone else.  :laugh:

• Like 4

For the office, I'd consider short, low-heeled boots.  Here we call them booties.

For hot summer days, there are some that have open toes and loose tops--I have a pair like that and I love them.  I wear them with or without hose, and with any length of skirt and any pants except shorts.  

• Like 1

Have you always had fat ankles? One of my dad's is like this and the doctor said it was a Native American trait.

I don't think so. I have painless varicose veins, so I suspect it's connected. No NA heritage.

If you haven't always had fat ankles, it is probably a good idea to make an appointment with your doctor sooner rather than later to rule out some systemic conditions that could cause that can be serious if not addressed early. 

As for appearance, think of dressing as an artist thinks of a painting. You want to plan where the eye goes. So on days when you are wearing something that exposes your ankle, I would be sure to have a "focal point" in my upper body area: a scarf or necklace or an interesting belt.  This will focus the eye there. Avoid any "interest" at the hemline like a contrasting color. Wear plain (simple) flesh toned shoes without an ankle strap. That will cause the eye to just do a quick swoop down the leg and foot without stopping. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1

Can you wear trouser socks and flats with the longer skirts or even ankle length trousers? I would focus on creating a monochromatic look from the waist down. If you go without the socks make sure the shoe color matches. 

I have problems with swelling ankles in the summer, so I try to avoid shoes with straps around the ankle as well. 

• Like 1

Until a little over a year ago, I had to dress for camouflage because my skin was terrible, AND I *had* to wear socks or my feet would crack.  No sandals for ME!  I'm fairly slim, but there's a little "extra" around the middle these days.  

Anyway, in summer, I wear linen pants which can be washed in the washer.  I'm not renting my clothes from the dry-cleaner.  I got them at J.Jill and at Chico's over the past few years.  Some are more flow-y than others.  

Last summer, I found some floor-length "tank tops" that I simply lived in.  I wore a nicer tank underneath it and a flow-y overblouse and was always comfortable and cool.  I got them from Soft Surroundings.  https://www.softsurroundings.com/Clothing/Dresses/. I got three of the Santiago Dress (about 3 rows down), but three are others at this link that you might like better.  I liked the dress because it MOVED when I wanted to walk--I detest getting held up by my clothes.  

Now that I could finally wear sandals, I got some "slides" that were somewhat like these but black (no back, no toe-splitter) which could go in water as well as on land and they actually looked OK.  Again, I wore them allll the time, and they have worn well.  They are not as "earth mother looking" as Birks, but that's the general idea.  

My MIL has a terrible time with swollen ankles and I know a slide-in sandal would be the only kind she could wear.  

That's all the help I can give you, because I am pretty much a uniform-wearing kind of gal so once I figure out something I like, that's what I wear.  I've been wearing the linen pants for several years now.  Don't plan on wearing them more than once, though, because they stretch out and get baggy, at least these ones do.  Maybe some others don't. 

And I know you said office, so I didn't mention it, but I'm afraid that although I am technically too old to still be doing this, I wear jeans a lot.