Menu

Need help with blanket washing issue

amo_mea_filiis.

My daughter's favorite blanket got covered in water and some kind of flame retardant after fire alarm sprinklers went off.

I can't find any information about sprinklers beyond water storage and delivery system. Nothing about "oily" stuff. The oil was how it was described to me.

I have no idea if her blanket is safe to attempt washing and drying at home, or if I should line dry it, use different detergents, etc.

The blanket is not a comforter. It's a really big, fuzzy blanket like you'd see in the Native American stands at a county fair. It's very loved and almost 10 years old.

I'll be picking her blanket up today and have no idea if this will be a big deal or not. If you've got any info, please share!

Thank you! :)

I *think* I'd wash it several times with whatever detergent you normally use and then very carefully try drying it (low heat, keep a very close eye on it).

But that's my gut feeling with absolutely no knowledge to back it up. I'm thinking sprinklers go off with people still in the home/building so it can't be anything too toxic. And aren't kids' pajamas treated with some sort of flame retardant? Could it be the same thing?

Good luck!

• Like 1

I would call (or drop by) a local trusted dry cleaner on Monday and get their opinion. They see everything and might have some recommendations.