Menu

Easter baskets

Noreen Claire

I've never done Easter baskets, it just was never a tradition for DH or myself. I do Easter egg hunts on occasion and this year I'm going to write a recipe on the back of a puzzle and put one puzzle piece in each egg. I'll have a basket of the ingredients so that once they find all the pieces they can make the baked goods. I still need to decide what that will be! Eek! What's a fun Easter baked good for kids? I also have chocolate bunnies and bugs.

What a fabulous idea!

• Like 1

I've never done Easter baskets, it just was never a tradition for DH or myself. I do Easter egg hunts on occasion and this year I'm going to write a recipe on the back of a puzzle and put one puzzle piece in each egg. I'll have a basket of the ingredients so that once they find all the pieces they can make the baked goods. I still need to decide what that will be! Eek! What's a fun Easter baked good for kids? I also have chocolate bunnies and bugs. 

This is such a fun idea! I'm definitely saving this one for when the easter bunny gig is up. 

• Like 1

Australia is all about the chocolate eggs...giving toys is not really a big thing here but is gaining popularity due to you tube videos of Americans with easter baskets stuffed larger then Christmas 😂

My kids are getting

Chocolate eggs and bunnies

Bags of their favourite candy

Pyjamas

Boys are getting Lego Dimensions Game to share

DD is probably getting a DS game

Traditionally we never had Halloween here...so Easter is the big candy holiday.

• Like 1

We aren't christian but the kids like the candy.  They think of Easter like it's a springtime Halloween, lol. Anyway, I just have very small baskets to limit what they get and I just buy the basics at the grocery store. They get the peeps, jelly beans and chocolate rabbits, peanut butter eggs. I keep hoping that they will decide they are too old to dye eggs and get candy, but every year they tell me they want it.

• Like 1

Sewingmama I was just about to say I've never heard of giving toys for Easter. It's always been about chocolate. When I was a kid we were sometimes just given a block of cooking chocolate! I'll buy the kids a chocolate egg each, knowing that when we go visit family they will get a heap more. And best of all my small boy doesn't really eat chocolate - he'll be excited by it, have one bite, then hand it on to me!

• Like 1

The Easter Bunny is DONE.

Baskets: For the olders, I went with MLB tickets, exotic potato chips, dark chocolate bunnies, and a greatly reduced number of peeps. The caboose has a few tiny chocolate lambs, paint, brushes, bubbles, and sidewalk chalk.

Egg Hunt Eggs: Jelly beans and Robin's Eggs for the olders(those are the candies they get excited about every year, so EB is simplifying to those) sponge stamps for painting and stickers for the caboose.

The Easter Bunny feels great about her choices this year. 15 minutes in World Market, 15 in Target, 5 minutes online for MLB.

The children also receive a spiritual gift from us each year. Instead of buying something, I'm going to write out a prayer of thankfulness for each child. I'll do them on pretty paper and tie up in scrolls.

• Like 2

Sewingmama I was just about to say I've never heard of giving toys for Easter. It's always been about chocolate. When I was a kid we were sometimes just given a block of cooking chocolate! I'll buy the kids a chocolate egg each, knowing that when we go visit family they will get a heap more. And best of all my small boy doesn't really eat chocolate - he'll be excited by it, have one bite, then hand it on to me!

Our oldest (now 25) only ever had candy in a basket.

Our middle child (now 13) has so many life threatening allergies that candy is near-impossible and horrendously expensive, plus shipping costs. Ugh. So we've switched to non-food items.

I have inexpensive candy envy.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

My kids are getting Nerf Guns (Christ is risen, here's your gun.) and legos and jelly beans. They're 12 and 16 ... I haven't really figured anything else out yet. ~sigh~

In the past the 'basket' has been part of the gift (when they were in school, a new lunchbox was common... sometimes a hat... when they were little it might be a sand bucket or a dump truck... )I'll probably pick up some sun hats for them since we're about to go on a 12 night camping trip with ILs in Utah and at the Grand Canyon... or something. If I ever get OUT. I need to leave the house to make that happen.

Oh and I sent my 21 year old a basket of different kinds of jerky.

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1

For the candy:

1 medium-sized bag of cadbury mini-eggs, divided in two and put in plastic eggs.

2 cadbury eggs each (the kinds with the gooey stuff inside)

1 bag of hollow chocolate chicks from Aldi. They looked adorable--divided in two and put in plastic eggs

For the non-candy:

For ds14:

McDonalds gift card--he works there and likes to get himself a little something after work from time to time.

Pizza Hut gift card

For ds12:

He's been longing for a puppet from ThinkGeek for over a month. I got it for him.

When they were little, I used to get a HUGE amount of candy and all sorts of little toys--little stuffed animals, Lego, action figures.

But now that they're older, there is almost nothing that they want. The above is seriously all I could come up with.

• Like 1

Our middle child (now 13) has so many life threatening allergies that candy is near-impossible and horrendously expensive, plus shipping costs. Ugh. So we've switched to non-food items.

This was my oldest child's youth. I could never find him candy, so he got potato chips and non-food gifts. One year, he got a bicycle helmet. Another year, he got Red Sox tickets. He has, thankfully, outgrown most of his allergies. His favorite foods are junk food and drive through. :-(

• Like 1

This was my oldest child's youth. I could never find him candy, so he got potato chips and non-food gifts. One year, he got a bicycle helmet. Another year, he got Red Sox tickets. He has, thankfully, outgrown most of his allergies. His favorite foods are junk food and drive through. :-(

Ooooh, I love hearing that he outgrew some allergies!  That's wonderful.  Even with the penchant for junk food and drive through, it sounds great.  

My kiddo has outgrown one allergy: coconut.  So we love coconut.  Sadly, he's added more many more allergies, almost yearly.  Our list is long, long, long.  His latest, in the last few months: he's now anaphylactic to avocado.  Such a bummer, it was a favorite food till now.  That was an unexpected ambulance ride and hospital stay - really thought that was a safe food.  Blerg.  I'm just glad it happened at home, and not at a friend's house, because he'd have eaten avocado even at a friend's house, so we lucked out there.

Food allergies are the bane of my existence.

It makes the stuffing of stockings and easter baskets and halloween bags a real pain in the rear, and expensive, too.  

• Like 1

Ooooh, I love hearing that he outgrew some allergies!  That's wonderful.  Even with the penchant for junk food and drive through, it sounds great.  

My kiddo has outgrown one allergy: coconut.  So we love coconut.  Sadly, he's added more many more allergies, almost yearly.  Our list is long, long, long.  His latest, in the last few months: he's now anaphylactic to avocado.  Such a bummer, it was a favorite food till now.  That was an unexpected ambulance ride and hospital stay - really thought that was a safe food.  Blerg.  I'm just glad it happened at home, and not at a friend's house, because he'd have eaten avocado even at a friend's house, so we lucked out there.

Food allergies are the bane of my existence.

It makes the stuffing of stockings and easter baskets and halloween bags a real pain in the rear, and expensive, too.  

He has outgrown allergies to: soy (@2yrs), shellfish & finned fish (@8?), dairy (@preteen?), wheat, oat, & barley (@14), and eggs (@15 or 16). He is still allergic to tree nuts and peanuts. Of course, just as he was outgrowing most of the allergies he started having seizures. I preferred the allergies, myself... *sigh*

• Like 1

My kids are 12. For the past several years, I've just done candy. They don't eat it during the year, so I buy good chocolate and dye free jelly beans. A hollow rabbit, some random smaller chocolate, and a handful of beans. They're happy. When they were much younger, I used the Easter baskets as the overflow from Christmas/birthday in December. And focused on spring and summer toys, goggles, pool toys, or a special stuffed animal etc.

But I can never skip their Easter egg hunt. It's their favorite tradition. Each has 24 color coded eggs that I'll fill with some coins or Annie's bunnies or such. Depending on the kid, I'll make it a tough hunt or a slightly easier one.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...