Menu

Aux films, citoyens!

bibiche

• 2 weeks later...

Have you watched any of the animated films? How do you find comprehension when you can't see the people's mouths moving with the sound? I hate trying to watch movies dubbed in French. It's always challenging for a non-native speaker to understand, I find.

You could try subtitles (in French) if you need a visual clue. They don't normally exactly match what is being said but it should help. :)

You could try subtitles (in French) if you need a visual clue. They don't normally exactly match what is being said but it should help. :)

I wonder whether I'd be able to read the French fast enough. English subtitles would be ever better until we improve our French comprehension. 

• 1 month later...

Bumping this to ask: anyone else incredibly frustrated trying to find French films in French streaming anywhere in the US? Belle et Sebastian is dubbed on prime. I was trying to find Souvenir (2016) for myself mainly bc Pink Martini wrote three songs for it and...nothing. I don't think these are obscure films...

DH will bring me some dvds back but I feel like I have this problem every single summer ( as we attempt to go on summer schedule with the languages and everything else)😱

Streaming... Depends on if you are looking for legal or not. I agree it is frustrating -- sometimes you can't even pay for this stuff if you want to. I don't really watch movies and it's not too much trouble to find series, but I'd much rather have them through the paid sites. I know Netflix is trying to improve but it is completely aggravating to have a series that has French audio in Canada or France but only English here. It was super nice back when vpn's worked for Netflix.

Streaming... Depends on if you are looking for legal or not. I agree it is frustrating -- sometimes you can't even pay for this stuff if you want to. I don't really watch movies and it's not too much trouble to find series, but I'd much rather have them through the paid sites. I know Netflix is trying to improve but it is completely aggravating to have a series that has French audio in Canada or France but only English here. It was super nice back when vpn's worked for Netflix.

I totally want to pay! Someone take my money and throw me a french film that's PG13 and lower ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We buy a certain amount of dvd's for french each semester...

But as dd is 14 coming 15, things become easier.

So I can list the dvd's we have seen and tell about their apropionateness and how hard dd considered the movie.

I would also love to see your list, thanks loesje

Thanks so much for putting that list together!

I want to add that DS also enjoyed Chorus, the movies based on the Pagnol books, and the Petit Nicolas ones.

You're welcome!

Dd isn't very good at estimating levels, and it is very subjective of course.

But Kerity was harder then expected after watching the movie in her mothertongue several times.

And we watched recently No et Moi, and they spoke extremely fast, we could only follow by french subtitles

We estimate dd as B1+ by now

• Like 1