Menu

Build Your Library vs SOTW w/AG

jmjs4

I recently discovered Build Your Library, and I am drawn to the first grade program. I am going back and forth between BYL, and just following SOTW with the Activity Guide. Which one would you recommend?

I don't have any experience with SOTW, but we used BYL FOR K and will continue for first grade. I read it over and really like the curriculum.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I recently discovered Build Your Library, and I am drawn to the first grade program. I am going back and forth between BYL, and just following SOTW with the Activity Guide. Which one would you recommend?

Woops. BYL does incorporate SOTW. You don't have to decide between them.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I did SOTW with AG for Ancients. I did not like the activities and found better ones on the net. I have the guides for the later books too and it seems that I will be typing out the questions so my DS can write the answers, more like me scribe the answers. 

I am intrigued by the build the library method bc I was not satisfied with reading a history dialogue, write a narration,  and supplemental books. For my DS this was BORING. Some days SOTW was long in the tooth and we skipped and read something on the net or just did the activity. 

Right now we are using SOTW with Pandia Press Middle Ages. I like the layout better. I substituted the SOTW test pack for the activity book. This way my DS can use the test pack as reading comprehension questions (combo of MC and short answer) instead of me doing all that typing. We found activities on the net that look "boy" cool.

I have also used parts of Core Knowledge free curriculum for my history. Medieval Europe was fairly comprehensive we did the LA and HG modules. I made up a lapbook for it all and lots of projects, you can say I have my own armory (foamboard, of course!)

My advice, find what works for your students, I found that my son loves the projects and short meaningful history lessons.

• Like 1